{Calm before the storm Arc // 1}

"Mmph," you let out the small cry as Kyōjurō's bokken met your left calf causing you to fall on your bum. Breathing quite heavily, your eyes scrunched as you looked up at the male above you. He smiled and held his hand out towards you. Wincing, you grab his hand and he pulls you up.

"That seems to have been enough training today, you seem as if you are quite tired, and nothing is accomplished if we do not respect our limits." Rengoku set his hand on your shoulder. You glanced down to the side in guilt. You hadn't even gotten anything done today, save for falling down and gaining bruises. The Hashira noticed your sour mood and turned you to him, placing both of his hands on your shoulders.

"I understand feeling bad about not getting much done, but we mustn't think about it too much. The only thing we can do now is plan and strive to do better tomorrow. Plus, you did positively great today, my dear Tsukugo." He smiled down at you, his eyes closed slightly. You smiled softly and nodded your head. "I suppose you are correct, I will be much better tomorrow, I thank you, Rengoku-Sensei." You blushed and looked at your hands.

He seemed to be pleased with your answer as he removed his hands and smiled again. He pat your head, and turned away to walk into the Rengoku Estate, beckoning you with his hand. "Come now, I am positive dinner is ready for us, and then you can head back to your quarters for rest." You nodded and followed him into the estate.

"This is the best Onigiri i've had in years!!" You exclaimed happily as you smiled with your eyes closed, a blush evident on your cheeks. Rengoku gave a loud, hearty laugh and Senjuro blushed and looked at his plate. "You are quite the culinary artist, Senjurō! This is super yummy," you giggled at the small boy. He blushed harder and spoke quietly, "I am quite pleased that you like it, (L/N)-San. It seems that brother likes the Onigiri as well." He gestured at the older male. You glanced over at you mentor as he was finishing putting an entire rice ball in his mouth. You laughed at his gluttonous behavior and offered him your last rice ball. His eyes are widened as he glanced between your hand and your face.

"Are you sure, (L/N)-San? I can do without." "And I can always just make more," Senjurō chimed in. You shook your head, smiling. "It's quite alright, Rengoku-Sensei. I am full, and Senjurō, unless your brother would like more, do not worry about making more. I am alright." You smiled and turned your head a bit. Rengoku smiled and took the Onigiri from your hand and Senjurō nodded while blushing.

You drank the rest of your tea, and stood up from the small Chabudai. Bowing to the brothers, you turned to each of them and mumbled a goodnight. Just as you were about to slide open the shōji, a large hand set itself on your shoulder. "If you would allow me to, I would find it very pleasing to walk you to your quarters," Kyōjurō smiled warmly at you. Your breathing hitched and you blushed. "I-I, well, I suppose. That would make me happy as well." He smiled and slid open the Shōji. He turned back to Senjurō, "I will be back to help clean up. Grant me just a bit of time." Senjurō nodded and began to pick up a plate. You smiled one last time at the young child and followed Rengoku out.

The two of you walked along the engawa, enjoying the sounds of the night. You blushed as you looked over at the older male. The moonlight made his features paler in comparison to the sun, which seem to set fire to his entire body. Regardless, it was still quite attractive. If anything, you decided that you had liked the moonlit version of him much more. It seemed much more intimate. You sighed as you continued to stare at him.

"Is there something on my face, (L/N)-San?" He laughed gently. You choked and looked away quickly. "N-no Rengoku-sensei, I just simply spaced out. I apologize," you stopped to bow infront of him. He laughed again, louder than the last. "Ah, my dear Tsukugo, you must drop the formalities when it is just the two of us, you may call me Kyōjurō," he smiled at you, setting his hand on your bowed head. You looked up at him and nodded softly. "If that is the case, than if it would please you, you may refer to me as (Y/N)," you blushed and looked down. He gave a big hearty laugh, "Yes, that would make me very happy, (Y/N)." You stopped infront of a door, "This is my room, where I sleep and dwell in." You scratched your cheek, awkwardly. Kyōjurō seemed to look at the door and then back to you before staring at your face.

Clearing your throat, you smiled at him and patted his shoulder. He seemed to snap out of whatever daydream he was in. He seemed startled, before smiling. "Ah, yes. You should get some rest so we can make even more progress tomorrow. You are already quite strong, and it is very commendable that you are able to fight hand-to-hand so well. You must've trained for many years before now. I look forward to being the one to help you continue to hone your power, my sweet Tsukugo," he bowed. Your face exploded in a blush and you looked down at your feet, the sudden praise sending your heart into a frenzy. "A-ah Rengoku-Sens-." "Kyōjurō," he corrected. "....Kyōjurō, that is quite the amount of praise, I am infinitely appreciative. I would like to thank you for being so patient with me, and for agreeing to become my master." You bowed at him. He smiled and bowed before ruffling your hair and saying a quick goodnight.

Opening your shōji, you sigh dreamily and lie down on your already made futon. You were quite exhausted. Not even bothering to remove your daily clothes, you smile as you think about the events of that night.

"I wonder if he likes me too? I sure hope so. Gosh, he is just quite the catch. Amazing, and handsome, and sweet. He's the best person I've ever met."

You smiled once more before heading off to sleep, excited to see your mentor once again the next day.

[notes: hey, guys. First chapter done! I hope y'all like this. I think this will be a slow burn! Anyways I'll update again soon. Thanks for reading!! - October 3rd, 2021]