{Entertainment District Arc // Chapter 1}

Silence falls over the room as you stare up at the man in shock. His face holds the same blank smile and you gulp anxiously. He hasn't been acting his usual self today. That mixed with his unpredictableness has fear boiling in your blood. Of course, you knew he would never hurt you, however, that didn't stop your body from expressing your irrational fear.

"Hmmm? Where have you been...." He looked down at you with an angry yet amused expression. He gives you no time to respond as he paces your room. "My trusted student, sneaking around behind my back? This simply cannot do." He snaps his head toward you, waiting for some kind of retaliation. All you can do is scramble to your feet, your mind still numbed from the shock of him being in your room. "What are you doing in here?"

"I've had a sinking suspicion that you've been sneaking out to go see someone? A boy perhaps?" His mouth drew into a frown. You gave him a confused stare, "What?? When have I been able to have been sneaking out? Why would you even think that?" He rolls his eyes, "Pretending to have to talk to my father? alone? Taking my father his food every. single. time? Not actually eating in your room like you said. You've been gone for almost an hour and a half! AH, I know. Its Tomioka, hm." You frown at him, "Kyoujurou, every time that I have said something about your father, that has been true. Even then I don't have to explain myself to you. Why are you acting like this??"

He growls and shakes his head, "I need to teach you and take care of you. I cannot do that if I do not know where you are. PLUS, there is literally nothing for you to talk about with my father that doesn't also concern me. You MUST be using that as an excuse." You grit your teeth, "Get out of my room, Rengoku. Now." He seems shocked by your tone and the use of his last name. Giving you a cold look, he refuses. "Not until you admit it, no." You growl and throw your hands in the air, "I'm telling you. I am not sneaking out."

He shakes his head and crosses his arms, "Then I am not leaving." You roll your eyes and walk to your desk, "then don't. but I have things to do and you're not going to distract me." He sits on your futon and looks away from you.

Taking a seat at your desk, you retrieve your writing utensils and paper. Thinking about your words, you begin to write:

Tengen Uzui

The other day I was made aware of your request for me to join you on a mission for the Red-Light district. I've thought about it and have decided to take you up on that offer. Whenever you are ready, please, let me know and I will be ready as well. I hope this letter finds you in good health.

- (F/N) (L/N)

Signing your name at the bottom of the parchment, you smile and blow on it. Once the ink is dry, you roll it up and tie it with a bright orange ribbon. Opening your window, you call for your crow. "Crowbar..." The crow lands on the window and lowers his head. You roll your eyes but smile and pet his tiny head. "Okay, buddy. I have a letter for the Sound Hashira, Tengen Uzui. Please deliver this to him, with utmost importance and haste. Can you do that little buddy?" The crow chirps and puffs out his chest. You tie the letter to his foot before giving him another rub. The crow flies off.

When you turn, you are met with the eyes of the flame hashira. "So, a letter to Tengen? Hm, what was that about?" You roll your eyes, "It's none of your business." The pillar doesn't like your response but says nothing to combat it. The two of you sit in complete silence for a few minutes. Rengoku fidgets with his hands and he seems like he wants to say something. Opening his mouth, he goes to speak when your crow lands on your window sill.

"RAH, A message from Uzui Tengen." You look up in shock. "Already?? Good Boy!" You run over to the window sill. Holding out your hand, the crow jumps into it. You kiss him on the head and pat his back. "That was quick." Taking the note from his foot, the crow lays on his back, hinting for you to pet his tummy. You giggle. Observing the rolled note, you notice the gold and purple ribbon enclosing it. "It's pretty," you mumble. It's not as pretty as Kyoujurou's stationery but you shake the thought away. Opening the letter, you move to hold it with one hand while using the other to scratch the bird's belly.

Dearest (Y/N),

You have indeed captured my attention for this mission. Your beauty cannot be beaten and you will do wonders for this job. I am grateful that you are attending this mission with me. We will be leaving fairly soon really, as in tomorrow. It is of utmost urgency that we leave as soon as possible. I will be stopping by the butterfly estate for more.... participants. I shall be at the Flame Estate around noon tomorrow. Can't wait.

Love, Uzui Tengen <3

Reading through the letter, your face gains a soft blush. "His words are like magic. He wooes many ladies, that one. I know he does." Kyoujurou peeks from behind your shoulder and he grits his teeth. "Ah, so you're going on that mission with him?" You nod and walk to your desk. Stuffing the letter into the drawer, you throw the string into a jar filled with dark blue and silver ribbons. Giyuu's stationery.

Sighing, you reach for your travel bag. You searched through it and it held all your usual contents and you smiled. You would only have to get some travel food.

Kyoujurou stayed behind you, he was awfully quiet and his atmosphere tanked. You turned to him and he was looking at his hands. Kneeling beside him, you take his hand. He looks up at you with furrowed eyebrows and a frown. "I'm sorry," He whispers, "I shouldn't have blown up on and accused you. I've been treating you unfairly all day today and that's not okay." You nod and look at him. "It's okay Kyoujurou. People are complicated and you don't have to explain yourself to me." He lays his head on your shoulder slowly, questioningly. You sigh, "I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon. I need to get some sleep." He nods and stands up slowly, you follow.

"I will see you off tomorrow. May I take your hand," he reaches for your hand. You can't resist his golden eyes staring at you expectantly, "Yes, Kyoujurou. You may." He grabs your hand and brings it to his mouth in a gentle kiss. Your face warms up and you look up at him. His eyes seem to be full of sadness and it seems that he may feel guilty. Honestly, you're glad. You don't say that.