{Calm before the storm Arc // 2}

A sinister snarl filled the empty air, as you ran as fast as you could. You were beginning to get tired and your breathing became more erratic as you began to panic. You could feel your legs begging to go out as you looked back slightly to gauge the position of the demon. With a yelp you realized the demon was right behind you. If you even so much as thought about stopping for even a second you would be devoured by the foul creature.

You pushed your body even further and kept running. The demon slowly began to catch up to you as you kept pushing forward. You hear a growl as you looked back to see the demon lunging for you. Remembering some of your defensive training, you let out a grunt as you fell to the ground backwards and rolled out of the claws of the demon. Quickly, you began running back in the opposite direction. The demon seemed to be startled by your escape as it snarled in frustration and turned for you. Running after you, the demon caught up more quickly than before. As you were about to clear a fallen tree the demons claws caught your calf and you let out a scream of pain. You hit the ground with a loud groan. Looking at your calf, your eyes widened, the wound was so deep. You definitely wouldn't be able to run.

Bursting into sobs, you covered your torso and head with your arms and legs. The demon let out an ugly laugh as its head reared back. Its hand reached out and took hold of your uninjured calf and pulled with a swift tug. You screamed in pain as your leg erupted in white blinding pain. You began to hyperventilate as you begin to feel your skin tear-

.

.

.

You jolted up with a loud sob as you patted your leg with panicked hands. Shaking, you sighed as you felt your leg in place and untouched. "I-it was just a dream," You ripped the cover off of you and crawled off of your futon. You took a shakey step and slid on your zori and slid open the shoji. Sighing, you walked down the long hall before opening another shoji and stepping out onto the engawa. You breathed in the cool night air as you began to calm down. Taking a step off the engawa, you began to walk around the garden for comfort. You always liked to walk through the garden to help with your frequent nightmares. You thought back to the dream and sighed. It was the same dream every night. The demon runs after you, you run away, escape the demon, and the demon ends up catching you. Each time you relive the past, every time. except, EXCEPT, Rengoku Kyojuro never makes it, he never cuts the demons head off, and you never meet him. Your face scrunches up thinking about it. Taking a deep breath, you sigh once more. "Calm down, (y/n). Hes here, you're here, you are both safe. Everything is alright, that demon is dead, and has been dead for awhile." You looked at your hands.

"My, are you having trouble sleeping?" Startled you turn around and glance at the fiery headed man behind you. He smiled down at you softly and you stuttered out an apology before bowing at him. He gives a loud hearty laugh and holds his hand out in a stop motion, "There is no need to be so formal with me, I did not mean to startle you, my sweet Tsukugo." You blush at the name and nod slightly. Looking away you shuffled your feet slightly. "What are you doing out here so late, Kyojuro? You should be in your room sleeping." His face brightened at the use of his name so casually and you smiled. He returned the smile, "I could ask you the same thing. I simply was unable to sleep and came here to get some fresh air. Why are you out here?" You looked away, embarrassed. "I- Well it was nothing, i just could not seem to get my thoughts to rest," You looked over at him hoping he would fall for your ruse. He chuckled slightly, "Its okay if you do not wish to tell me the actual reason, I will not pressure you to tell me anything. But i am always here for you, (Y/N)." You nodded and looked over guiltily. A silence settled over the garden as you got lost once more in your thoughts.

"I- I had a nightmare, Silly right? Demon slayers shouldn't have nightmares, we fight them everyday." You sniffled, feeling ashamed. Kyojuro looked over in alarm at the sound and stared at your face before taking your hands in his. "(Y/N), it is perfectly acceptable for demon slayers to have nightmares, despite us being the strong ones who hunt these foul creatures, we are still human and humans carry fears and trauma. Nightmares are a perfectly natural part of being us. It does not mean you are weak, it only shows how human you are, and that is greatly admirable," He smiled at you and you burst into tears. Pulling you into his arms, you wrapped your arms around his torso and began crying into his chest. He smiled again hugged you tightly, a slight blush forming on his cheeks, not that you could see anyways. You pulled away wiping your eyes with your hands. "Next time you have a nightmare, don't hesitate to come to my room. I will comfort you whenever." You looked up at him with an expression filled with shock. Did he really just say that? He continued to look forward as he put his hand on your shoulder.

"I am your mentor, I will do everything to comfort you, My Dear Tsukugo," his face turned to yours to stare into your eyes. You looked away unable to return the constant intensity of his gaze. He chuckled and patted your shoulder, "I wish you had more confidence, you deserve it. We will continue to work on that." You nodded your head and looked over at him. Taking a deep breath in, you quickly begin to say, "Rengoku-Sensei, I am very appreciative to everything you've done for me. Saving me, Taking me in, and now, you're teaching me to go beyond my limits. I am very grateful for what you've done. You are an amazing friend, and teacher, and an even more amazing Hashira." "Firstly, Kyojuro when it is only the two of us, secondly, that is very high praise you have put upon me. I cannot say that I deserve it but I do quite appreciate it," He exclaimed. Your face fell slightly at his words, registering what he said. "You know," you began cautiously, "Its okay to not be okay, Kyojuro. Its okay to be disappointed. I just wanted to let you know that I am always proud of you." You chose your next words carefully. "I believe in you, and I believe that you are one of the most talented and amazing people I have ever met. You deserve all the praise this world has to offer. I hope to be exactly like you." You looked over at the pillar only to be met with the back of his head. You turned your head in confusion. You reached out to touch his shoulder when he suddenly turned back towards you. His face harbored red cheeks and the biggest smile you'd ever seen him give.

"(Y/N) you must stop, I fear my heart will explode from all of the praise you've given me." You giggled at the outburst before looking at your hands. You picked at the skin beside your nails. A habit, one that Kyojuro noticed you did a lot. He laughed loudly, before sighing in content. "(Y/N), My Sweet Tsukugo, you are quite the character. I am happy you have chosen me to be your mentor. You've shown me so many things, and you are quite the talented slayer. I am quite pleased to have met you. Thank you." You blushed brightly and stuttered out a thank you. Kyojuro laughed once more and smiled over at you. The two of you sat in silence.

After a few minutes had passed, you let out a small yawn as your exhaustion had begone to take over. Rengoku noticed and put his hand on your head, "Aw, you seem tired, my dear. We should both get to bed. Would you like me to walk you to your room?" You looked down thinking before you nodded slightly. He smiled, before holding his chin in thought. You turned your head and move your hand to your chin as if mocking him. He laughed and grabbed your arms, "Ill do you one even better." Grabbing you he picked you up and began to walk towards the engawa. You let out a startled noise. "K-Kyojuro? What are you doing?" "Carrying you to your room. My Dear Tsukugo." You laughed, "You do not have to, My strong mentor." He shivered slightly, and you thought maybe he was cold. "I am aware, my darling Tsukugo," He spun around and set you right in front of your door. "Well here we are, my lady. Your room lies in wait." You laughed and punched his arm softly, "You are kind of silly, you know?" He gives a boisterous laugh. "I am aware." You smile softly once more, "Well, we should get to bed." He stared down at you smiling, "Yes, you are quite right."

Neither of you made a move as you both stared at the other. He smiled at you and you smiled back. After a bit, you cleared your throat, "Well, Im heading off to bed now." He seemed startled and shook his head, "Ah, Uh, Yes we should get some rest. Goodnight, (Y/N)." You smiled and slid open your shoji. "Good night, Kyojuro." You closed the door and he stood outside of it for a bit before eventually leaving.

Sighing, you slide off your yori, and pull back your covers. Laying down, you recall the events of that night before falling into a dreamless slumber.

{So theres abunch of grammar and punctuation errors. But im in a rush and im failing my college algebra class :0. Ill update again soon, Bye!!!!}