Lykaon

“I’m sorry for your loss, Aryn. I know losing your mate must be hard,” my father politely says to the Alpha of Vengeful Star. I sat in a chair behind them and my mother, barely paying attention to the conversation.

“Do you know how she died?” Lyall, my mother asks.

“My pack and another were meeting when she took the younger women and teens out for a walk. My beta was with them to protect Maybelle from harm.” I rolled my eyes as the Alpha clenched his fists. “Only he came back alone with some girl! He said the girl was responsible for the accident!”

“How could a girl be responsible for your Luna’s death?” I ask harshly.

Aryn glanced at me and said deathly soft, “She provoked the attack. The rogues. Her idiotic behavior for messing around.”

I looked to my father with a sigh. “May I please step out for a minute?”

Knowing I didn’t like this pack very much, my father nodded before turning his attention to Aryn. “Do you remember what this she-wolf looked like?”

“Same as Maybelle’s, only her fur was a light tan instead of a golden, and her body weak while Maybelle was strong and beautiful.”

I groaned and stepped out of the room, seeing my friend and confidant Klyn waiting nearby. He smirked. “You look like someone threatened your mate?”

“If I had one!” I growled, walking outside into the sunset. “He’s blaming his mate’s death on a girl’s behavior. And rogues being aggravated by a girl? Come on!”

Klyn shrugged and let out a heavy sigh. “Is he pressing charges?”

“Probably. But, he only knows what her wolf looks like, not her human form. And the chances of a Himalayan wolf being near here is damn near impossible.”

“Do you know which packs are bordering his southern side?”

“Whisper Eclipse, a peaceful pack who keep well to themselves unless necessary. My father’s never had trouble with their Alpha.”

Klyn shrugs again. “Maybe the girl moved far away? It’s highly possible if she found her mate. Wolves move all the time because of that.”

I nod, still deep in thought when my wolf starts growling at me to run. When I ask him why, he mutters one word that has me stripping down to shift so he can take over. Mate!

Klyn is on my heels in seconds, not asking any questions, knowing he’ll eventually find the answers soon enough. Though, my surprised and desperate expression probably clued him to what it could be. We were heading to the southern borders, Whisper Eclipse boundaries. Confusion rakes my brain because I’ve passed this territory and never has my wolf acted upon a female’s scent. He sniffs and I smell the most amazing aroma I have ever experienced: cinnamon and flowers. Sweet and spicy perfectly balanced and intoxicating my senses like never before.

Klyn mind links me to ask, Considering your abrupt departure, I’m going to guess this is important enough for your father’s wrath, right?

My wolf grins, showing teeth. More than important! It’s a necessity I must find!

That was all Klyn needed as he gave me a nudge to go faster. Klyn was my Beta to-be. Once I was Alpha, he was to be my second in command and help me and my Luna protect our pack. I had other friends, others strong and openminded, but Klyn had this way of seeing and understanding what I was trying to explain, therefore giving me ideas on how it was bad or good, and even some suggestions on how to improve. He’s my best friend since freshman year, which was less than a decade ago, but still…he gets me better than my father sometimes.