Lykaon

The afternoon of the ceremony, my father hands me a letter, saying it was urgent. I opened it and found it was from Alpha Merle.

Lykaon,
Something happened yesterday afternoon and caused a disturbance in some of my pack. Jacques said he found his sister, Opaline, carrying one of the pups, and wouldn’t shift when he asked. She growled at him and when I got there, she did the same to me.  I do not know what has happened, do not know if Opaline is still there or if her wolf has taken over, but she continues to stay in that body. Luna Selen, my mate, has even tried to help, but there is no change.
I know things are rough over in your territory, but I think Opaline needs you. She looks around and sniffs the air, as if searching for someone, and you’re the only one I can think of that she might want.
She goes outside still, but will not eat more than two bites of food. She will not even help pack her things, so her belongings are on their way to your pack as I write this. I saw one sign she might still have some semblance of control, and that is with her sketchbook. I was not allowed to touch it, it seems. Opaline cherishes her drawings, so I know there is hope. Can you please come as soon as you’re able? I cannot stand her stubbornness or handle her hiding under the porch any longer.
Please consider my words,
Alpha Merle

I don’t understand the alpha’s letter at all. It makes sense, except the part of Opaline not shifting. She doesn’t seem like the type to hide away and let her wolf take over, but she also seems to be in a bad state. And she’s back to hiding under the porch again like she did my first night there…

And it hits me.

“Shit!” I curse and run to find Klyn.

I finally find him outside talking to Kurt, another best friend of ours, out near the forest tree line. He sees me, smiles then frowns at my expression, starting to walk towards me. Kurt also notices and follows as I run up to them and shove the letter into Klyn’s chest, breathing heavily. He reads it swiftly before I see his face pale. “What’s going on, Lykaon?” Kurt asks.

I ignore him and say to Klyn, “I can’t miss the ceremony tonight. You need to go and convince her to follow you home. You’re the only one she might trust. She knows nobody else.”

He shakes his head. “I don’t know, man. It sounds like she needs you there.”

“But I can’t!” I growl. If I go now, I’ll miss the ceremony.”

“Then go right after,” he suggests, handing the letter back. “I’ll come with you as backup and support because you can’t read expressions worth shit. As long as she is within her family’s sight, she’ll be fine.”

I close my eyes, panic clouding my vision and thoughts. My wolf says, He is right, but our mate needs us. Mate is more important right now.

If we don’t go to the ceremony, there’s a chance it won’t happen again for a while. That is the only sure way I can protect Opaline if I bring her here.

“Lykaon, just ask for the ceremony to be scheduled a little earlier?” Kurt says finally.

I look at him and nod. “Okay. Klyn, make sure you’re ready when I am, or earlier just in case. I’m going to set the time for sunset, which will mean we’ll leave probably around dusk.”

Klyn nods and runs off. Kurt eyes me for a moment, then walks away. I scan the letter once more before taking a deep breath and go to talk to my father.

Thankfully, he obliges and even moves the ceremony up so it’s in an hour. I’m grateful and get ready. In my room, there is a pair of black dress pants laid out on my bed. No shirt, underwear, or shoes and socks. I was going to be mostly bare, but not going too intimate considering it would be disrespecting Opaline. Females are already hovering around me enough as it is, I don’t need more after tonight.

I shower and dress, shaking my head to get the water out of my hair, then walk outside to where the pack is gathered. A bon fire is going, warming the frigid air and a soothing crackling sound. My father and mother stand on a raised platform and I walk up to them, then drop to both knees, bowing my head in both respect and acceptance.

My father speaks, “In light of a new generation, my son, Lykaon of the Blue Oasis Pack, has accepted the title of Alpha. I, Ariston, hand it over to him with my blessing and hopes. He shall lead you from now on, into the future with a kind heart and passionate soul. He will not disappoint you, my pack.”

I hear a few cheers and claps, but most are quiet in anticipation to see what comes next. My mother steps forward and begins speaking, “Also in light of a new generation, I would like to step down as Luna and hand it over to Lykaon’s mate when she is ready. She is to arrive tomorrow with open arms and a beautiful heart. She will learn the ways of our pack and help Lykaon lead you into the future.”

I smile to myself until I hear a voice say, “When did he have a mate? Where is she?”

My father calls out, “My son will explain all of that in due time. But now, for the bonding process.”

I stand, holding my wrist out, veins popping out clear and ready. My father hands me a knife and I slit my wrist, letting blood drop into a bowl. I continue to let it bleed until the bowl is about a quarter of the way full, then bandage my wrist in cloth. My father hands it to my mother, who starts walking around the pack, letting them take a sip. Each time someone does, my mind is pulled in different directions, being connected to everyone so I may be notified of anything at a moment’s notice. It is an hour until the last person finishes the blood and my mother returns to my father’s side.

Now, my father kneels and bows his head, along with my mother. “We give our pack to you and your mate, Lykaon, in hopes you will lead it into greatness and prosperity. Promise to fulfill our hopes and make this pack great.”

I stand tall, feeling empowered somehow and speak clearly, “I promise to let you see your dreams come true, to lead this pack with pride and just. When my mate arrives, I promise she will be a great Luna and serve our pack well. I promise to do my best, or die trying.”

I see the pack smile and nod while my parents stand up and clap my shoulder and hug me. I catch Klyn’s eyes urging me hurry up. So, before any congratulations are performed, I announce: “My mate is currently living in her former pack with her immediate family. I expect when she arrives, you will treat her with the same respect you’ve shown me tonight.” I pause and meet each eye out there. “She will need time to learn about you, time to adjust. Do not judge what you do not know. Do not place any blame on her for anything. If you have questions, ask me. I will give you answers. My mate is just like all of us, so treat her no differently.” With that, I nod to Klyn and walk away.

We run until dawn to get to Merle’s territory. The patrol let us through almost immediately and we speed towards Opaline’s home. Her scent fills the air, but the bitter taste of fear lies with it. Without realizing it, my paws are moving faster as her house comes into view.

Pausing outside, I sniff around and look under the porch, but don’t find her there, thankfully. Klyn waits for me and I shake my head before going to one of the stalls and shifting, putting on a pair of pants. When I walk out, Klyn is waiting for me and we go to the front and knock.

It takes a few minutes before someone opens the door and it’s Jacques’s mate with bed hair and drooping eyes. She looks up at us with confusion before yawning. “Opaline is in her room. Be careful where you step though…” she trails off and shivers before stepping aside and ushering us in. “And I wouldn’t take your friend with you,” she says when Klyn starts following me.

“Why?” I ask, speaking for the first time.

“She won’t let anyone who isn’t close to her near. One of the women she was hanging out with this week was nearly torn apart.”

My eyes widen in horror at her words before I look at Klyn. He shrugs. “I can stay down here if you need.”

“I’ll let you know if I need help,” I say and walk deeper into the house. My feet take me through a hallway and to a door shredded by deep claw marks. From behind, there’s whining and claws clicking around. Knocking softly, I walk into her room to see it torn to bits. Her window is broken, her furniture is everywhere, the light source is now a candle since the ceiling fan is now in bits on the floor. Her bed wasn’t even spared for a comfortable place to sleep.

I look at Opaline, and see she’s thinner than usual. Her amber eyes are wild and search me while her stance is one as if she’s expecting a fight. I slowly put my hands beside my head to not spook her and kick the door close so she can’t go after anyone. Opaline growls from somewhere deep in her throat, baring her teeth, hackles raised.

“Opaline,” I say softly. “Do you remember me?”

She blinks, but doesn’t show any signs of recognition.

“Hey, I’m here to take you home, with me. But I need to know you’re alright, that you’re understanding my words.”

Her ears prick up and she whines softly, bowing her head and putting her tail between her legs. My wolf whines along with her. He says to me, Get to her eye level as a way of showing equality. I do as he says, first getting on my knees, then resting my hands in front of me. Opaline watches my every movement curiously and I don’t look away.

“Opal, can you shift for me? Can you let me know what has happened here?” I ask softly.

Her eyes search around and I realize she doesn’t want to shift in front of me. I slowly grab a blanket and hold it open, but she backs away and whines again.

“Do you promise to shift if I step out?” I say, locking eyes with her. Slowly, her tail begins to wag and lift a little. Barking once, she sits down. “Do you need clothes?” She whines and lies down, her head between her paws. “I’m going to call Klyn. Do you remember him?” She blinks but otherwise doesn’t move. “He’ll bring you a shirt big enough to cover your lady parts.”

She still doesn’t move so I close my eyes. Bring up a large shirt Opaline can wear. Knock before you enter.

Be right there, he says. I look to my mate and see her breathing heavily, her tongue licking her muzzle repeatedly as if she’s hungry. I hope she’s hungry. I hope she’ll eat for me and tell me what’s wrong. I hope she’s okay.

I see her shifting form the corner of my eye and turn to look at her. She whines, but crawls forward, towards me. Her eyes are pleading and her ears are back again, but she continues no matter what. I hold out my hand to her and she sniffs it when she’s close, then licks it weakly. I smile and was just about to pet her when there’s a knock on the door.

“Lykaon, it’s me,” Klyn calls softly.
Opaline backs away from me and to the opposite wall, growling again. “Hey, it’s fine!” I say, trying to calm her. “It’s Klyn. He has a shirt for you. He’s just going to hand it to me, okay?”

She continues to growl, now focusing on the door. I stand up and walk over to the door, blocking it with my body. I stare at her with a hard look and she quiets again, lying down and giving apologetic eyes.

“I’m going to let him in. Do not attack him,” I say firmly. Opaline whines but stays in her position. “Klyn, walk in slowly and hold your hands up.”

Behind me, the door opens and I hear Klyn’s soft and steady footsteps as he comes to the side of me, doing exactly as I said. Opaline sniffs the air, catching his scent. Her eyes narrow but she doesn’t growl or make any move against him. I take the shirt hanging from one of Klyn’s hands and look at it. “It’s Jacques’s. He was awake thanks to his mate and wanted to help.”

I nod and walk forward towards my mate. “We are going to leave and go to the kitchen. I want you to shift, put this on, and meet us there. If you need help with anything either howl or call out and one of us will come, understand?”

Opaline flicks her eyes to Klyn, but raises her head and barks once, wagging her tail.  I take that as a yes and put the shirt on the blanket so it doesn’t get debris on it, then push Klyn out of the room. When I glance back at my mate, she’s standing on all fours, her tongue hanging out of her mouth, watching me with somewhat brighter eyes than earlier. I leave, shutting the door behind me and walk down the hallway to the kitchen.