Lykaon

Klyn came by not long after Opaline and I returned home. She said she was going to unpack carefully and maybe nap, so I led Klyn into my office. I told him what Truent said about Opaline and the questions asked by her and I. I said how her self-confidence in being the perfect Luna for this pack was very low and I didn’t know how to pull it up. I explained to him what she said to me when Truent gave us time in his office, and what I felt from her.

I didn’t think I have ever seen a Luna struggle as much as Opaline is struggling. One minute, she is ready to be Luna and feeling great. The next, she’s putting herself down over the pack’s ability to accept her, to her disability. It is truly something depressing to see and just the thought of her being so down-hearted was breaking my heart.

When I finished my story, Klyn sat back in his chair with an odd expression. I watched him for a moment before I got irritated. “You have a contemplative look on your face, what is it?”

“Well, maybe we should go on a pack hunt or run or something. Get her out into the open and around the others. It wouldn’t just be for her benefit or theirs, but for yours too. Running always seems to give you ideas and clear your mind. Maybe you’ll be able to come up with something?”

I shake my head. “I don’t want to run unless she’s able to hear me through the link.”

“Don’t use the link at all. Make everyone turn it off and act normal.” I stared at him as if he had two heads. “It would make her feel a little better if you did. And I know she has a wounded hand, but I have a feeling it’s almost healed. Your mate needs to meet them eventually and if standing and introducing herself on a raised platform isn’t going to do it, then this should.”

Sighing, I look out the window and see Jayene walking towards the front door. My wolf instantly starts to growl, and I turn to my best friend. “How about you go entertain our guest while I finish a few last-minute papers here.”

His expression is confused for a moment until we hear the doorbell. After a moment of watching me, he stands and walks to the door. When he turns back, he says, “Is Aryn still planning on coming to the Luna Ceremony?”

“Yes.”

His lips thin. “You might want to prepare our men for any kind of attack.”

I nod and he leaves, then I link Kurt and a few others and have them meet me in the Pack House in an hour. Then I link Nadine and ask her if she could come by and maybe help Opaline if she needs it. She said she’d be over in ten, so I sit back down and let out a long breath.

After a moment, there’s a soft knock on the door. I look up and invite the person in to see my mate cradling her hand. “What is it, Opal?”

“I can’t sleep and this is bugging me,” she says and looks down at her hand. “Do you still have the pain killers?” I open a drawer and grab the bottle, then walk over to her and hand her a pill. She takes it gratefully and embraces me. I hug her back, then she steps away and looks around. “What are you doing?”

“Ordering people around, paperwork, going crazy,” I say and she smiles. I smile back and take her injured hand in mine, looking it over. “Will you let me unwrap it and see how it looks?” Opal nods and we walk over to my desk. I set her on top of it, then stand between her legs and carefully undoing her cast.

“Where is your mother and father?”

“Traveling around the world. I told them they could and they have already blessed you as Luna. They needed time for themselves, so I took the liberty and helped them get started.”

“Is the Luna Ceremony the same for every pack?” my mate asks softly.

I look up at her and nod. “The Luna Ceremony is, but the Alpha Ceremony is not. My pack decided long ago that they should be the same as to keep the two leaders equal, but others either have Alphas do tests to see their strengths and abilities to determine if they can lead. All packs want strong leaders, but they don’t always find them the same way. “

When I pull the cast off, her hand is warm and the skin is baby soft and delicate. The swelling is almost gone as well as some bruising, but it looks like she never broke it. Opaline stares at her hand for a long moment before using her other hand to touch it. “Do you consider your pack’s Ceremony to be the most lenient on Alphas?”

I shrug. “One of them.”

She furrows her brows. “Who do you think is the most lenient?”

“The Black Rock Pack.” I smile when her head tilts to one side in curiosity. “I have a childhood friend who is Luna to that pack. She told me that her mate’s ceremony was pretty much a party. In their pack, they use celebrations to see how well their alpha can handle good and bad situations, how they handle being overwhelmed with surprises, and how well they handle unexpected surprises.”

Opal’s face blushes when she asks, “Did her mate get naked too?”

“No,” I chuckle. “Her mate wore a tux, but I don’t regret anything. I hate tuxes.”

She smiles and I hear a knock. “Come in,” I say as my thumb strokes her injured hand and my eyes watch her seemingly fiddle with my other hand. The door opens again and I glance at it to see Nadine. Her eyes go wide and her hand flies to her mouth, but I shake my head. “It’s fine. We didn’t do anything.”

Opaline notices me talking and looks over her shoulder at the woman. “Nadine! You’re alright!” My mate carefully climbs off my desk and makes her way over to her friend. I’m slightly disappointed, but overly joyed she found someone to hang out with when I’m busy.

“I just swung by to see how you were doing,” Nadine says. “Bertolf apologized for hurting you and Klyn, and wanted to come, but didn’t think he’d be accepted onto the territory.”

The woman looks at me and I know it’s her way of asking if her mate could be closer to her, to be accepted into the pack since he was rogue, since mates couldn’t live without one another. Have him meet me later this afternoon and we can work something out.

Nadine smiles gratefully and nods slightly. Thank you, Alpha.

No problem, I say and get Opaline’s attention. “Nadine is going to spend a couple hours here with you. Klyn and I need to go somewhere to sort out a few issues. Call me if something happens, okay?”

“Where are you going?” she asks hesitantly.

“Pack House,” I say and kiss her. “I need to figure out who my strongest men are.”

“Why?”

I smile at her questions. “So, I can protect you.”

At this she frowns. “Why me?”

Nadine answers this question. “Because, a Luna is the heart of every pack. The Alpha is the power and strength a pack can count on to protect them, but the Luna is what keeps everything in balance. It’s hard to have one but not the other, hard to keep control.”

Opaline doesn’t seem offended or happy about the idea, but confused. I cup her face and lock onto her celeste eyes. “It’s nothing to worry about. We all know you can handle yourself in a fight, but it’s the love of the pack members towards their leaders that drives them to protect an honor us. Besides, they don’t just protect you. Each time a man or woman fights, they’re protecting both of us equally. As long as they have us, they will be loyal enough to fight until the bitter end.”

She nods and relaxes, still thinking hard about what this means. After a moment, she wraps her arms around my neck and kisses me before grabbing Nadine’s hand and saying, “I’m almost finished unpacking, then we can do something.”

With that, the two disappear into the hallway. I steel myself for seeing my men and the questions they’ll throw at me about Opaline, then go outside to the Pack House to meet them.

                              ***

“Does everyone understand now?” I ask fifty men two hours later.

Gerome, a bulky guy with a hard expression and cold eyes says, “So, she’ll be having a Luna Ceremony later? Why not now?”

I sigh, rubbing my temples because I’ve explained this already. Luckily, Klyn answers, “She’s not ready. Her confidence was shot the day she lost her hearing, so putting her in a position where it takes a lot of guts to stand up in front of a lot of unknown wolves is like telling her to go hunting for a night alone. She needs time, and giving her a week or so will give her that.”

Michael nods and crosses his arms. “So, who’s on first watch for our Luna?”

“Darion, you, and Dreven tomorrow morning at seven-thirty sharp. Bring whatever you need. I’ll introduce you to her tonight after the run.”

Klyn looks at me in surprise. You’re actually doing it?

Yes, she needs it, like you said. Klyn looks back at the men in front of us and nods. I try to hope that this isn’t needed and I’m overdoing it, that we won’t have an attack that’ll hurt Opaline, but all my suspicions usually come true. I wouldn’t be surprised if this did as well.

Alpha, there is someone at the territory. They request a presence with you and your mate, Rhett said with some hesitation.

Who is it?

Beta Vuk from Vengeful Star Pack.

I curse under my breath and walk out of the room. Why?

He won’t answer.

I growl in frustration. Keep him there! He is not allowed in. Klyn catches up to me and follows, not bothering to ask questions. Shifting, I run into the forest and head south towards where Vengeful Star and my pack meet borders. Something isn’t right about the Beta coming here, especially when he won’t give a reason for being here.

When I arrive and stand beside Rhett, Vuk is pissed off at being told to wait, but I don’t care. He walks up and his wolf is pulled to the front, making his eyes amber. I narrow my eyes at him in warning to which he responds, “Nice of you to finally meet me, Alpha Lykaon.”

“What do you want?”

Vuk looks around. “Where’s your mate?”

“Home, getting rest like I asked of her.”

The Beta sneers, “Is she on her death bed already? What happened to her?”

“It’s none of your concern,” I say flatly. “Did you just come here for my mate, or is there a logical reason you wanted to see me?”

Vuk sighed softly and turned around, hands going to his pockets. “Aryn would like to invite you and your mate over for lunch, or maybe dinner tomorrow night. He wants to congratulate n finding each other and giving you his blessings.”

“I’m afraid I have to decline,” I say casually. “My mate and I have something going on tomorrow and won’t be able to make it.”

Vuk smiled. “Lunch it is then. Wonderful, Aryn will be delighted!” With that he walked away, chuckling to himself with triumph. It took all my strength not to rip him apart.

<Here is the chapter for today! Enjoy!>