Opaline

The next morning, Lykaon wakes me up early so we can go. He tells me to dress warm since I won't be shifting on this journey. I dress in a long sleeve shirt, a sweatshirt, sweats, and heavy socks to go into my combat boots. I put my hair into a braid and let it fall over my back before putting on a beanie and going downstairs to where Klyn was in the kitchen waiting for us. He slid over a plate of pancakes and the syrup and shouted at my mate, who was in his office, to hurry up.

When my mate came down, he was only wearing shorts, ready to shift at any time. I took in his abs and muscles before fully concentrating on my meal before I started drooling. I never really get to see his abs because he always has a shirt on per my request. Today though, it seems like he could care less and strides up to me to kiss my temple before grabbing his own plate and wolfing his food down.

In fifteen minutes, we're outside and the two men strip then shift while I stand in the cold putting on my coat. When they're finished, Lykaon brushes up against my leg and I rub under his chin. How long will it take? Last time, it took all day and half the night.

For once, I can hear his reply in my mind. A couple of hours with a stop at the halfway point. If there is any problem that you might have, let me know, okay?

Okay, I say and carefully climb onto his back.

Wrap your arms around my neck and lay down so the wind isn't too harsh, he instructs. I do it and he licks my hands before taking off. I bury my face in his fur and hold on tight with all limbs, pressing my legs tighter against his ribcage, though he doesn't seem to mind. The muscles in his body work tirelessly moving in ways I had never noticed in my own wolf's body. It was invigorating and soothing to feel him beneath me. I feel his heart beat steadily faster the longer he pushes himself, his neck bobs up and down as he runs, and his warmth seep into my body. Are you okay, baby?

I hum a response not willing to lift my head or use my mind. I hear a deep rumble from in his chest that might be a chuckle. You're so warm!

Now, are you glad you got to ride on my back?

I still want to run, I say and hold tighter.

Soon, baby, soon.

An hour later, Lykaon slows to a stop and lets me off to stretch while he and Klyn make sure we're safe. After five minutes, I feel ready to go again and get back on. He runs into the sunshine, darting past trees and jumping over holes. It only takes another half hour or so to get to my family's pack border. Both wolves slow down and I sit up and watch the trees pass slowly and the pack appear. We were behind my parents' house to where the stalls are. Considering, I didn't need it, it made no difference since Lykaon and Klyn shifted wherever and whenever they wanted. It didn't bother me as much anymore as long as they warned me first.

When we reached the porch, I got off my mate's back and stood aside while they found something to dress in before knocking. I kept close to Lykaon who had his arm around my shoulders, resting my head on his chest. When the door opened, my mother came out with a bright smile. "You made it!"

Lykaon smiled down at her. "We certainly did, Luna Selen. Opaline was very excited to see everyone here."

My mother opened her arms for me and I was let go to embrace her. "Your mate told us you were doing better, but we were still worried. How are you, dear?"

"I'm fine. I just can't shift for a while," I say honestly. I pull away and go back to my mate.

My mother smiles at Klyn, "Beta, glad to see you again."

"You too, Luna."

From behind her, Jacques appeared. "Hey! It's my old sister come by to say hello!" I roll my eyes as he steps around my mother and crosses his arms. "So, tell me Opal. Where do we race to first?"