Lykaon

After Truent made sure Opaline was safe and secured, he, Klyn,  and I went back to see what my mate was so worried about. We stood on  either side of his bed, scanning him from head to toe, until I saw it. A  dark wet patch appeared on his dark jeans, running down his leg as if  he had been standing at some point. I reached forward and lifted the  pant leg up to see a trail of blood running down his leg. I lifted his  shirt but found nothing there but smooth skin. That only left one other  spot.

A growl erupted from my throat as I finally understood what Opaline had earlier. Truent and Klyn glanced at me, then followed my line of direction of where I was looking. Klyn  unzipped the man's pants and pulled them as well as his boxers down,  only to have his little member flop out and onto the ground at the  doctor's feet. 

"I think I'm going to be sick," Klyn wheezed and sped from the room. 

I looked at Truent with a glare. "Is there any way to fix this?"

He glanced from the free member, to Bertolf,  to me and shook his head. "I'm afraid not. I can put it back on, but it  won't work the same. He won't be able to reproduce with his mate."

"Fuck!" I hissed. I turned around and headed out the door to see Nadine in the waiting room. "Nadine, come with me."

She  looked worried, terrified almost. She should be, her mate was  dismembered of a male's favorite body part! "Is everything alright?" she  asked as I took her to the pack house and into my office. 

I  gestured for her to sit before leaning back on my desk and rubbing my  face. "Nadine, I don't know how to tell you this lightly, so I'm just  going to put it bluntly. Bertolf and you will never have pups for as long as you shall live."

Her brows furrowed. "Why, what do you mean?"

I looked at her. "Opaline  found out he was more than just paralyzed in his encounter with  Melanie." Her eyes began to tear up. "There's no chance of ever really  repairing it back to perfect condition."

"You mean—"

"Yes, Nadine. That's exactly what I mean. I don't know how Opaline saw it by just looking at him, but she was kind enough not to dig further and called me and Klyn in to see the damage."

Her body started shaking, her cries rang out through the silent house. "But, why? Why would someone do that?"

I shook my head. "I don't know, Nadine."

"All of it?"

"Yes."

She shook her head and ran out the room, sobbing. I sighed and hung my head, unsure I had done the right thing. Put it back on and do as much as you can. Better now than wait until he's feeling again, I say to Truent. 

I'm about to go around my desk when I hear a crash from somewhere in the distance. I look out my window to see the hospital exploding. Opaline! 

As  fast as my legs could carry me, I ran out of the house and to the  hospital, dread and panic seizing my heart. Three bodies fell outside,  all of them male, none of them who I want. Another explosion and I stop,  seeing the roof shift a little. Glancing around the building, I wait  for any sign of her, any sign she made it out. With one more explosion,  the building collapses in on itself and I fall to my knees. 

It  felt as though my heart was trying to be set free of the pain it knew I  was putting it under. My wolf howled in mourning of our mate. This  could not be happening! Opaline could not be fucking dead!

Klyn  limped up to me and pointed off to the right, seeing something fall out  of a window, then another. At first, I couldn't tell who they were  since it was dark and there was dust everywhere, but then a dark shape  started bounding towards us with someone on its back. As the shape got closer,  I realized it was a wolf just like mine and the person on its back was a  woman. When she looked up, I sighed and started running. 

"Lykaon!" she gasped, hardly able to hold her arms out to me. The wolf slowed to a stop as I closed the distance. 

I carefully pulled her into my arms and held her tightly. "I thought you were dead!" I hissed. 

The wolf shifted and Vuk  stood before me with a rage I've only seen once before. Someone handed  him a pair of jeans and he put them on, then looked behind him, scanning  the scene. "Melanie barged into the room and went after Opaline," he growled. "I had only enough time to throw her away, shift and get her on my back before the place started caving in."

Opaline held me tighter. "Why the hell were you in her room in the first place?" I growled.

He looked at me with a cold gaze. "To apologize without interruptions. Not to be rude, Alpha Lykaon, but I just saved your mate so don't growl at me!"

I  kept my glare on him until he sighed and stalked away. I looked down at  my mate and kissed her head. "Shit, are you okay?" I whispered.

She nods slowly. "Vuk didn't hurt me. He really did keep me safe and helped me out."

"Good." 

"Lykaon, where did the baby go?" Vuk growled harshly.

"Why does that matter?"

He  stormed up to me and hissed, "Because that's what she is after. If she  gets her hands on it, there will be another Melanie in a few years.  Where is it?"

"It's with Rosetta, who took her with her to her pack to raise as her own."

Vuk snarled violently and shifted, running into the distance. I set Opaline  down in the grass and looked down at her body. Her arm was bleeding a  little from where the IV was injected and she looked unfocused, but  otherwise well. "Lykaon, Opaline!"

I look over and see Truent running over. He had a little brief case and opened it as he skidded to a stop beside us. He gently took Opaline's arm, cleaned it then put a small bandage on it before checking her vital signs. "I'm just tired. I've only been up for a few minutes when Melanie barged into my room."

Truent  nodded. "You look better." He turns to me with a soft smile. "Put her  in bed for as long as she needs. No strenuous tasks after forty-eight  hours."

"Will you go see Nadine?" I ask softly. He narrowed his eyes in confusion. "She might need something to help her sleep."

He glanced at Bertolf then nodded. "Will do, Alpha." He stood and left, helping Klyn carry the huge man to the pack house. 

Opaline moved into my lap and slumped against me, exhausted. "Lykaon, I am so tired."

I pick her up and walk after the other three. "We're going to bed, baby. Just go ahead and sleep." She nods and I hear her breathing slow. 

We just make it to out bedroom when Klyn appears. "Is she okay?"

"Exhausted, but she'll be fine as long as she gets some sleep." I set Opaline down and turn back to him. "Did you see her?"

"No. I didn't know she escaped."

"Neither did I and I'm pissed," I growl lowly.

"Get some sleep, Lykaon. We'll figure this out in the morning when we're not running on pure adrenaline."

"I can't sleep. Not when I know my mate is in danger."

"Then stay here and rest."

I shake my head. "Why would Melanie go after Opaline when it was her who helped the woman hide out for three years?"

"Maybe because Opaline betrayed her?" Klyn says.

"She didn't betray Melanie. Melanie betrayed Opaline! Opaline should be mad, not the other way around!"

"Whatever the case, I'll send someone out to alert Rosetta. Maybe then we can find Melanie and figure out a plan."

"She's going to die once I get my hands on her. No one goes after my mate without paying the price for it."