Opaline

Nadine and I finished putting away my belongings then watched movies in the living room, sharing popcorn together. She explained what happened with Bertolf when he found her and Lykaon the night of the bar, then explained how she's been meeting him on the western border to talk. Apparently, she couldn't fight the bond between them and decided to let him talk. Lykaon approved of her going as long as she stayed inside the territory and kept Bertolf out, then she said her mate might be able to come visit soon. I was happy for her and wanted the absolute best, even if I didn't like him that much.

After three movies, we went to the kitchen and decided to make dinner for the guys. Nadine told Lykaon to bring Klyn at my request, and he replied with, "Be there soon." We made pumpkin pie from scratch, a beautiful green salad with a vinaigrette, roasted vegetables with a hint of rosemary, and T-bone steak. Nadine explained how the wolf males eat five times as much as human males and we needed to make more than usual. I commented that was why his plate was stacked so high at the dinner in my family's pack.

It was a couple hours later when Nadine heard the front door open and close and boots on the floor, coming towards the kitchen. I was just putting the pie in the oven to keep it warm until the meal was finished when I feel Nadine start running. Closing the oven, I turned to see not just Lykaon and Klyn at the door to the dining room, but also the male who broke my hand, Bertolf, Nadine's mate. Nadine jumped into Bertolf's arms, making his eyes brighten before his they landed on me and they darkened again.

Lykaon walked towards me, wrapping his arms about my waist and pulling me close. I looked up at him and he said, "It smells wonderful in here. Do you need help?"

Looking around at the food, I shake my head. "It's ready. I just need to get plates and stuff."

He kisses my head then pulls away. "Let me. Why don't you go see Klyn?"

"But, you're not supposed to help!" I hiss.

Lykaon raises his brows in shock. "What do you mean?"

"I don't want you to help. I want you to go sit down because I want to do it and help you." I had no idea if that made sense to him, but I wasn't going to tell him that I did this for him specifically.

My mate narrows his eyes as if he's trying to understand what's going through my head, but then steps back and raises his hands. "Okay. I'll go sit down with Klyn. At least let Nadine finish helping you?"

I nod and turn to get plates. Nadine appeared beside me a minute later and started helping me dish out food onto three plates for the men, and two for us. Nadine took one plate to her mate while I took the other two for Klyn and Lykaon. Klyn accepted mine with a smile and a thank you, but Lykaon pulled me onto his lap and kissed me, murmuring how lucky he was to have me. Feeling slightly embarrassed, I pushed him away playfully and told him to eat so I could get my food.

Once we all were seated and had dug into the food, Lykaon got my attention with a nod at Bertolf's direction. I looked over to the other side of me where Nadine and her mate were seated and found the male's eyes on me again. "I am sorry for what happened. I just wanted to get to my mate and was going insane."

I give him a tight-lipped smile and keep my injured hand under the table, on my lap. "It's fine. I should've listened to you and hear your reasonings, but at the time you and your buddies seemed threatening. I felt the need to protect Nadine because I considered you a threat."

"That," he adds on, "and because I'm a rogue who doesn't belong."

"Can you blame her?" Klyn asks sharply.

"Not all rogues are bad, Beta Klyn. There are good wolves who have done nothing wrong that are struggling to survive. Young women and children who are in need of shelter and protection. There should be no reason why she felt threatened because I'm rogue."