Opaline

Lykaon saved my life, and he barely knew me!

“Are you ok, now?” he asks, his grey eyes searching mine.

I blink and walk up to him, reaching for his hand, just to feel the sparks light up again in my body. “You’re so big!” I blurt.

I feel his laughter through his body and look up at him. He says, “You’re really small.”

I feel a blush creeping onto my cheeks and step away. “I try not to be weak, but being small is weak.”

He makes me look up at him with a finger under my chin. “You are incredible. You run faster than Klyn which is hard to do. You can fit into small places we can’t because we’re too big. You have an easier time of running away.”

“But I’m too small to fight,” I explain. “My father says so. That’s why I ran. I can’t fight.”

He tilts his head to one side and smiles, pushing a lock of hair out of my eyes. “You are small. But maybe you don’t need weapons to know how to fight.”

Now I tilt my head in wonder. “Why?”

“You have your own.” I look down but only see clothes and dirt. Lykaon makes me face him again, shaking his head. “I mean, your wolf has weapons of her own.”

“She’s even smaller than me!”

“That can be an advantage as well as a disadvantage.” He takes my hand and smiles. “We’ll talk after supper. I’ll tell you what you can learn.”

I smile for the first time meeting him. “Really?”

Lykaon gives me a grin and stops right before we go inside. “I’ll make you the best short woman fighter.”

I frown. “You don’t have women fight?”

“Actually, my pack has twenty willing females fight with all the other warriors. I give the option to anyone who is old enough and skilled enough.”

I light up with what he said and immediately smile. “Can I see your pack? Can I come home with you and fight with the other females?”

A sad expression pales his handsome face as he rubs a hand down it. He says something I can’t understand, but see sympathy in his eyes. I furrow my brows and only catch a few of his words. “…hate Himalayan wolves so you must stay here…”

All my brain processed was the word hate and I pushed him away. “I should have known!”

His brows furrow in confusion but I move away and into the house, heading straight to my room, and slamming the door. A knock on my door and I groan, “Come in!”

I look up and see my mate in anger. “Why the hell did you do that?”

I raise my brows. “Why did I do that?” Lykaon nods. My eyes narrow in fury. “If you don’t know, then what’s the use in coming in here?”

“Opaline!” he growls and walks towards me. “Tell me what you heard!”

I punch him in the arm and chest. “You hate me! Your pack would hate me! Why would you want a mate like me?”

He shakes me and I look up at him. Shaking his head, he cups my face. “No! I said Aryn hates you. Aryn, not me and my pack! I want to take you with me, but I can’t. Not right now. But I will. Soon.”

My eyes widen in shock and confirmation. “Oh,” I whisper. I see his Adam’s apple go up and down before he takes a deep breath. I recover from my little fit and relax in his arms. “Are you hurt?” I ask, though I have no idea why because I see no blood.