Lykaon

Rogues.

My father called me home for rogues. They attacked our borders and we lost most of our patrol that night. My mother was doing her best to help the healers but they attack again and again every night. Luckily, Klyn and I decreased the casualties and injured. I can’t say my mind was fully on the fight though.

Opaline… My mate. I wish I had brought her home, but am glad I didn’t. She’d have been in danger and possibly injured. I didn’t want that, plus she needed time to adjust, which is why I gave her the duty to help someone every day. It’d get her used to what a Luna would need to do, the attention she might get, the love she’ll feel from her pack. I only hoped she embraced it.

As for me, well, I read through the riddle every night, trying to decipher my mate’s words. For someone who wrote this at a young age, she made it nearly impossible to solve. It was all about her and me, how we’d be together, what our future might be. The answer would be the result of her greatest accomplishment. I had no idea what it was or would be, just that it must have been a good one for her to have written about it.

“Klyn needs you outside,” Xavier commented outside my office.

I nod and stand up. “Let me know if my father or mother need anything.”

“I will.”

Klyn, what is it?

Aryn is here wanting to talk to you. He says it’s important.

Did he give a hint about what it might be?

No.

I growl low in frustration but compose myself before showing up outside where they stand. Klyn glances at me with a worried expression while Aryn smiles. “Lykaon, nice to see you.”

“Aryn,” I say as a greeting.

“I heard you found your mate, is that true?”

I raise my brows at him. “Listening to rumors? I thought that was under you Aryn.”

“I have my people I trust. What kind of wolf is she?”

Klyn stiffens but I put my hands in my pocket before answering. “Home with her pack until I go pick her up. I was requested home unexpectedly and she wasn’t ready to leave.”

Aryn smiles, but it doesn’t reach his eyes. “I see. You will introduce me sometime, won’t you?”

“It’ll be my pleasure, Aryn.”

With a mocking bow, Aryn left casting one last glance at me over his shoulder. Klyn and I went inside and as the doors shut behind us, he turned to me with horrified eyes. “What if he knows about Opaline?”

I sigh. “I don’t know Klyn. We’ll deal with him then, I guess.” I didn’t think Aryn knew Opaline was a Himalayan wolf, but anything right now is possible. I only hoped for the best.

“We should at least check on her, don’t you think?” he asked softly.

“I want to, but what about the rogues? My father can’t keep them all at bay with his soldiers. We need to be here.”

“Why don’t you just take the title then? You have a Luna, you have a Beta, all you need to do is claim your title.”

I shake my head. “Do you really think they’ll let me? They’ll want proof of my mate, their Luna. And she’s not exactly capable of coming right now.”

Klyn sighed, frustrated. “She needs to come eventually to see her new pack, though. Lykaon, she’s going to be in danger no matter what. Might as well bring her here and let her be with you where she’s safest.”