Opaline

It's  morning and I woke up with cramps in my body from sleeping on the  kitchen floor with Nadine and my mother. We spent the night together,  crying and hugging. I didn't know where Lykaon was, but I assumed he was going to be okay since Klyn didn't say anything about him dying. I couldn't get the image of Luna Gwenna's  body out of my head. I didn't want to talk about it with Nadine because  she was scared enough, and not with my mother because she'd only worry.  I wasn't sure if I could talk to Lykaon about it either.

I  stand and go into the living room where more people slept soundly. Not  finding what I want, I walk around a bit and find my way outside and  towards what used to be Lykaon's  house. I had no tears left, so I didn't cry. I was just frozen in shock  as smoke still billowed into the sky. Seeing as it has mostly cooled, I  walk over and open the door. 

Before  I could step inside though, an arm wrapped around my waist and pulled  me away. I yelped and struggled until the soft whispered made me relax.  "There's nothing left, baby. I don't want you to get hurt by having the  roof collapse completely."

"But, our stuff..."

"We can get new, Opaline. We're just not going to find anything in there." His voice was scratchy and hoarse. 

"What about Gwenna?" 

"She's  gone, burned along as well as everything else." He turns me around to  face him and cups my face. "Why did you come out here?"

I  shake my head. "I was walking around. I ended up here and I was going  to go in and see...see...whatever's left." I take a deep breath and look  down. "What happened? Did she do that?"

"Yes, and Gwenna  wasn't the only one who died last night. I found another body in my  office and was trapped inside when the fire started. I had to jump out  the window to escape and Klyn helped me to the pack house."

I wrap my arms around his neck and put my face in his chest. "You could've died!" I hiss.

"But I didn't. I'm here, baby."

"Alpha Lykaon, Luna Opaline." I looked behind me to see Vuk  walking up to us. His eyes settled on me for a moment before pointing  behind him towards the forest. "Care to explain what happened before  everything went to shit and we were sent to the pack house? Why did you  two disappear? And who killed Alpha Zy's mate?"

Lykaon pulled me closer and kept his arms around me. "Vuk, we have a few things to discuss with you and Aryn. Care to join us for dinner? We can explain everything then, though I am quite sure you know half of it."

Vuk stood straighter and narrowed his eyes at Lykaon before looking at me. "Where did that baby come from? Where did you find it?"

I hardened my eyes on him. "Like my mate said, we'll explain everything over dinner. Please, be patient until then."

I saw a smirk grace his lips before he said, "Nice to see you again, Luna." He bowed slightly and Lykaon tensed, tightening his arms. "I see I didn't kill you before."

"Are you trying to get yourself killed, Vuk?" Lykaon growled.

Vuk  ignored my mate completely and focused completely on me. "I knew I  recognized your smell when I was in that house. Tell me, how did you  survive?"

Before Lykaon could growl anything else, I smirked. "Tell me about the males I killed then, and I'll tell you how I lived to this day."

His  smirk turned into a grin. "Still a feisty she-wolf. I'm glad to know  that hasn't changed." He bowed again, keeping eye contact with me and  backed away. "Dinner it is, then."