Opaline

<Sorry this is late. Busy day! Here you go!>

My wolf gives me control after a day and a half of hiding out in the back of my own mind. She was very hesitant about seeing Lykaon, and somewhat uncomfortable with Klyn at first. I told her who he was, that he was our mate’s friend, and she slowly calmed down. After they left, we looked around my room which got demolished earlier in the day because no one would leave us alone. My wolf finally had enough of my family checking up on us, and went crazy. She apologized for it in advance, but as long as my sketchbook wasn’t ruined, I told her to have at it. I wasn’t going to be living here anyways.

The shift was rough, even more painful than usual. My wolf again apologized and said we should’ve switched often instead of keeping me locked up, but learned our mistakes. I only knew that I was freezing cold and exhausted, but that Lykaon was waiting for me in the kitchen. I put on the shirt which thankfully went down to my knees, and wrapped myself in my blanket, brushing off the dirt and debris. When I went to stand up, I nearly crashed back down again, so I stayed on my hands and knees and looked at the door. I didn’t want to crawl, but I didn’t want to ask for help either.

Just call him. He won’t mind helping, my wolf said gently.

Taking a deep breath, I called for Lykaon and waited. I saw shadows from under my door a few moments later before it opened. His gray eyes looked down at me as I felt helpless and unstable. He said, “Is the shirt on?”

I nodded. “I’m just cold.”

My mate walked up to me and knelt beside my shaking form, “May I carry you?” I nodded again and let out a sigh of relief when I could let my body rest against him. My eyes fluttered shut and I breathed deeply as he walked out of my room and down the hall. When we made it to the kitchen, he continued to hold me while he got a plate piled with turkey and salad, then a fork, then went to sit at a table nearby. “Can you sit up on your own?”

I shrug, pulling the blanket closer to my body as he knelt again and placed me on a chair. When I glanced behind him, Klyn was watching me with a calculating expression. I couldn’t help but bring my knees to my chest and hugged them tight, making sure the blanket covered everything.

Lykaon moved the plate in front of me and made me look up at him. “Eat. Go slow, but eat. Take as much time as you need.”

“I’m not hungry,” I lie because I couldn’t eat that whole plate.

“You’ve lost weight, Opaline. Your father told me you weren’t eating as much as you usually do. Eat. We won’t go anywhere until that’s gone.”

I shut my mouth and nodded solemnly. He walked away towards Klyn and disappeared into the kitchen. I spent the next few minutes taking small bites and shivering from the cold air. My eyes wandered around, finding the room was empty except for me. My wolf encouraged me to eat at least half the plate so we’d feel better.

Half an hour later, I couldn’t eat anymore and Lykaon returned. He stared at the plate, judging how much I ate before seeming somewhat satisfied. He then pulled out a chair and faced me, eyes serious. “What happened?” he asked after a moment.

I saw Klyn out the corner of my eye and turned my attention to him. “Can we be alone?” He nodded, and left, shutting the door behind him. I turned to my mate and saw patience and concern in his expression, but also exhaustion. “I got scared.”

“Of what?”

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I told him. He listened attentively, and then held me when I started to cry at the end, sliding me off my chair and into his lap. After a minute, I whispered, “I wanted to call you, but I’m not like other wolves.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t mind link. I can’t use my mind to talk to anyone except my wolf. It’s frustrating and no one could understand me. I couldn’t shift for them…I didn’t want anyone else. I didn’t feel safe anymore.”

“I’m here now, Opal. You’re coming home with me. I’ve made precautions and thought it was time.”

I furrowed my brows. “Precautions?”

He smiles. “I’m Alpha now.”

My eyes widen and I look over him a little. He doesn’t look different, but he does have a powerful aura about him that makes me more drawn to him than last time. “Does that mean I’m Luna?”

“Yes and no.” He sets me back on my chair and holds my hands, looking deep into my eyes. “You are Luna because you’re my mate. But not officially. Lunas must have a ceremony of their own, then we must complete the mating bond. When you’ve completed the ceremony, then you’ll officially be declared Luna of Blue Oasis.”

“You had a ceremony too?”

“It’s just like the Luna ceremony, just for an alpha. All the same steps apply, the only difference is that you’ll be dressed more with modest than I was.” He smiles and I try to think of what he meant when he said, “I only wore pants, more for your benefit than mine.”

“Why for me?”

“Because you’re my mate. I didn’t want other females all over me and you getting jealous. I didn’t want you to feel like I didn’t care about your opinion.”

My heart lifted before I remembered what I’d done before Tryn almost got attacked. I smiled at Lykaon and almost had the urge to jump up and down with satisfaction. “I helped!” I said with more enthusiasm than I had all night. “I helped a lot of people and they kept coming back for more!”

He smiles, his gray eyes brightening with happiness. “I’m glad. I’m proud of you. I can tell it made you happy to help them and that’s a great thing.”

I squeeze his hands and lean forward a little. “I loved it! Especially helping out with the children!”

“Do you like children, Opal?” he asked with a tilt of his head.

I nod emphatically. “I never really dreamed about having children before, but after you left and it became my routine, I really want children. I want a few and be able to play with them. I want to love one of my own, Lykaon.”

His smile broadens as he looks over towards the kitchen. I see Klyn walking over as he asks, “I hope I’m not intruding.”

Lykaon shakes his head and looks back to me. When I turn to him as well he says, “You need to get some rest before we leave, and you’re not sleeping in your room.” My smile falters and I look away shamefully.

“I didn’t mean to, but I needed to do something or else someone was going to get hurt…”

My mate makes me look up at him and I see he’s not mad. “It’s fine. We’ll use the guest room. Your brother and his mate prepared it for us.”

“What about Klyn?”

Lykaon raised his brows. “Is he not allowed to stay with us for one night?”

I shrugged and looked at the man. “I don’t know. It seems weird, don’t you think?”

Both men laughed and Lykaon stood up, stretching. “He will be fine. Besides, I have a feeling you’ll be asleep before either of us, so it won’t matter.” I smile and agreed inwardly. “Can you stand and walk now?”

“I don’t think so,” I admit.

Lykaon shrugs and bends down to wrap his arms around my back and under my legs. I hold the blanket tight as he straightens and starts walking out of the dining room, Klyn right behind us. When we get to the bedroom, my mate kicks the door open gently and walks in. I notice two beds on either side of the room and extra blankets piled on the dresser. My body instantly tenses at seeing how the beds were only made for one person, not two. Klyn walks up beside us and crosses his arms. “Well, this is going to be a tight fit, especially for you two.”

Lykaon puts me down on one of the beds and looks around. Finally, he kneels and says, “I’m going to shift and sleep at the end of your bed. It’ll be better than trying to stay on while sleeping beside you.”

I look from him to the end of the bed and ask, “Aren’t you a little big to sleep on the bed?”

He gives me a small grin. “Don’t worry, Opaline. I’ll fit and keep your feet warm.” I smile and yawn. He takes that chance to shift me so I’m laying down with blankets covering me. He disappears into the adjoining bathroom and shifts, then hops onto the bed, laying down with his eyes on me. I sit up and reach over to scratch his head, then kiss the top of it.

“Goodnight, Lykaon,” I whisper and lie back down, closing my eyes and falling asleep shortly.