Lykaon

I wanted to shake Opaline's father and tell him how selfish he's being. He wants to see his daughter even though she hasn't requested so. Her mother and Jacques seemed to come to terms that she was safe and being looked after, but the father...

"Alpha Merle, I'm not sure if you just didn't hear me or you are being stupid, but Opaline isn't in any state to see any more people right now. She already panicked a few times to the point of her heart beating too fast, she doesn't need any more stress right now."

"You listen here, boy," Alpha Merle hissed. "Opaline is my daughter! If you don't let me see her, it'll be war on your pack!"

"Merle!"

"Father!"

I shook my head in disbelief. "You'd ruin your daughter's chance at happiness over something as stupid as this? I realize you're her family and she may love you, but the rules in this pack are that no one is allowed to see the patient without their mate's permission, unless of course they don't have one, then they're allowed in. Because I'm Opaline's mate, I do not give you permission. And, since I'm the Alpha of this pack, I will not let you endanger her or anyone else because you're trying to be stupid. When she is feeling like herself, I will ask her if she wants to see you, but now isn't the time. She just woke up not too long ago and is overwhelmed and petrified. I would think you'd want her to feel better before barging in on her privacy."

Selen took her mate's arm and pulled him back, giving me a gentle smile. "Please, make sure she heals. I am forever grateful you are her mate and not someone else."

"Selen, he's holding her captive!

"Merle, he's giving her choices, a life, and letting her heal. He hasn't even given her the official title of Luna yet because he knew she wasn't ready."

Alpha Merle growled lowly but my attention caught onto someone else, someone I haven't seen in a long time. I said to Opaline's family, "I have business to attend to. When my Beta informs me that you have intruded, my men will be waiting. Don't try to do anything. Please, excuse me now."

I walked away to the woman standing just inside the hospital doors. She smiled when she saw me, gliding forward and giving me a tight embrace. "Lykaon, I would have thought you'd be thriving now that you're Alpha, but it seems you're doing the complete opposite."

"Oh, Bree!" I whispered into her hair. "I was thriving until the other night. I haven't slept in so long, and I can't think about pack needs when my head is in mud."

She pulled away, her green eyes concerned. "What do you mean?" She looked around. "I would have also thought you'd have a mate by now."

"I do have a mate," I say, pulling her after me and down the hall. "Goddess! Bree, she's a wonderful mate!" I stop near an office and look inside, then pulled her in with me. Locking the door, I paced around trying to figure out how to tell her. "Bree, I'm so lost!"

"Is that why you're here at the hospital and telling Alpha Merle to back off?" I nod solemnly. Bree walked over and wrapped her arms around me again. "What happened to her? Tell me everything."

I do from the moment Opaline and I met up to now. I tell her how Opal tried to protect me and Nadine, almost losing her hand in the process. I tell her about Opal's past and why Bertolf seemed to cause some of those memories to reappear, how Opaline was deaf for so long, but now she's able to hear. How Truent took so long in surgery with Opal, and I was a mess. I told her of everything good and bad when finally having Opal as my mate, and she listened carefully.

When I finally finished, Bree had on a sad smile. "Lykaon, it sounds like you've been through a lot more than I have. Deryn and I haven't had such troubles, but that doesn't mean we won't. So, tell me. Did Opaline call your name when she woke up?"