Lykaon

Opaline leads me and Klyn down to the cellars without meeting anyone along the way. Klyn gives me questioning looks from time to time, but doesn't say anything, and I don't offer. I don't have much to go on anyways. My mate continues to hold my hand tightly, staying close beside me. I'm not sure if she is truly scared of something she isn't telling me, or if it's the bond that makes her want to keep me close. I'm okay with it either way, but it makes me more alert on her safety all the same.

It's been five minutes down in the dark and cold cellars when she finally stops and turns to us. "Can you stay here, now?"

"What's going on, Opaline?" Klyn asks with suspicion.

My mate looks at me for help, but I can't explain any of this. She steps back away and looks down at the floor. "I just need to do something. Stay here and I'll be back in a few."

"Opaline—"

"Klyn," I warn. He looks at me with hard eyes. "Let her go."

Opal smiles at me before turning and walking away. Klyn turns to me. "What the hell is going on?"

"Remember the girl you saw her with when we first came down here?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?"

"That's what she's doing." I cross my arms. "Did you see her?"

"No. It was too dark and Opaline was blocking my view." Klyn sighs and gives me a sympathetic look. "You think she's about to do something again?"

"No. I think we need to know who that girl is and what she is doing here. Opaline said she was hiding from something or someone. I want to know who. I want to know why my mate risked her life for a girl who is hiding in her family's cellars."

"Well, go after her."

I shake my head. "No. I'll go later. In my wolf form. If anything, I should be able to see her and get close enough to shift and talk to her."

"We'll see," Klyn sighs.

Five minutes later, Opaline runs back and into my arms. She isn't crying so I assume everything is alright, but I do look over her just to be safe. Afterwards, the three of us walk back up and into the kitchen where lunch is being served. Selen looks over us but says nothing as we sit down together, only smiles when she sees her daughter start going back and forth with her brother. It's when her father comes in that all goes quiet.

Opaline is holding my hand as we try to remain normal, but it's squeezing very hard as if she's terrified of what's to come. I squeeze back gently and she relaxes a little. Merle sits down at the head of the table right beside her. Her conversation with Jacques stops as they look at each other. I can feel the tension and want to get her out of here, but can't. I'm not in familiar territory now and I can't fight her battles for her.

Selen breaks the silence by clearing her throat and saying, "I hope you don't mind, Lykaon, but it's simple sandwiches today."

I smile. "Fine with me, Luna."

This seems to break the staring contest and Opaline turns to me with a strained smile. "Do you think we could go see the children later?"

"Sure, just remember no rough housing, okay?" She nods and pulls my hand into her lap, holding it firmly between her own. I lean close to her ear and whisper, "Relax, baby. Everything will be fine. We'll get out of here after the meal, just stay calm."

I feel her rest her head on my shoulder and take a shaky breath. "I need air, Lykaon."

I pull back and take my hand out of hers, only to pull her into my lap. She seems content with this and wraps her arms around my neck, but still turning her head so she can watch the proceedings. I grab a bit of sandwich and put it up to her lips. "Eat."