Opaline

I feel dizzy like I spun around and around on one foot for five minutes. I want to vomit.

I also feel exhausted, physically and mentally.

Lykaon! I desperately call out. Lykaon! Why isn't he helping me? I thought he could hear me through the link? What did I do wrong?

Pain. That's all I feel throughout my body is unadulterated pain. It's like I've been whipped or cut into multiple times and it hurts to even breathe. I need relief. I need the pain to go away. I just need ...

I wake up from the longest, dreamless sleep I've ever had. It's the worst sleep I've had because I don't feel at all rested and I wanted to rest. Pain, pain, pain! Will it ever end? Something large is lying on my stomach and I wonder if it's a softball or something. I can't feel my arm or my hand and my ribs feel like they're piercing my lungs. I can't breathe...

"The doctor said she should be waking up any time now," said a voice not too far from the end of my bed.

"Are you going to keep her here or take her home?" said another voice.

A sigh.

"I want to take her home, but she'll be able to heal here without me having to worry too much. The nurses will see to it that she's comfortable and gets all her needs sorted out. I won't be able to watch her and I will not allow the men to help her. She's going to have to stay here."

My brain is fuzzy. Who are these men? I recognize them, but why do I feel so confused? More so, why wouldn't I stay in the hospital to heal? That is what happened after the accident years ago. I was in the hospital for months and hated it. I still hate hospitals with a passion, but I'm not going anywhere. I'm in too much pain to go anywhere.

I want someone I know, someone I recognize here. I feel like I might panic if I'm left alone here with people in white and the white walls and the scent of cleanliness. Lykaon!

Someone groans and I hear a thump like they fell to their knees. "Hey, are you okay?" I hear a voice asks in a panic.

I was about to say no when the other man said, "Shit! My head!"

"What happened?"

"She just screamed my name! Into my head! Fuck!"

If I was asleep, his cursing would have woken me up. But since I'm not asleep, I listen to it and find it amusing. Moving my head to one side, I feel a soft pillow brush my cheek. I'm pretty sure the men forgot about me, and I continue listening. "What do you mean she just screamed your name?"

"I don't know! But it fucking hurt!"

"Has she said anything else?"

"No. But I don't think I'd be able to hear her if she did. My head feels like it's about to explode!"

I try to laugh, but stop when the pain begins to feel too much.  My eyes water and I want my mate! Lykaon!

"Fucking hell!" the man groans. "I can't move to even see if she's alright!"

Lykaon!

"Hey, steady there, Alpha. Are you going to be sick?" I hear a groan in reply move my head to the other side. Where is he? Why did he leave other men here to watch me?

"She must be awake!" the groaning man got out.  "She hasn't used the link since Bertolf."

"Is everything alright?" a feminine voice asks.

"Yes, just don't mind him. Alpha is just being a baby."

A soft giggle. "That's alright." I feel a hand on my forehead and then something moves across it then behind my ear. "Her temp is back to normal." There's a little clamp she puts on one of my fingers then something squeezes my arm. The sound of beeping focuses and I realize it's the monitor keeping track of my heartbeat, and it sounds a little fast.