Opaline

<Whoops! Put up the wrong chapter the other day! So here is the correct one. Sorry!>

The last thing I remember was gray eyes looking at me with concern and comfort.

My sleep was dreamless which was probably a good thing because I might have had nightmares otherwise. It felt short as well, like I only got five minutes, even though when I woke up screaming in pain, it was daylight outside. My hand hurt so much I couldn’t think around the pain. The rest of my body just felt limp with exhaustion though, so when I went to get up and use the bathroom, I merely fell back on the pillows.

I felt a hand brush my hair behind my ears and lips press against my temple. I look over to see Lykaon sitting beside me, his mouth curved upwards a little. “Hey beautiful,” he says slowly. “Ready to drink something?”

I furrowed my brows. Looking down, I see my hand is in a black cast and I can hardly move it. “It doesn’t work anymore, just like my ears,” I whisper.

Lykaon lifted my chin and frowned. “Not necessarily. Your bones are set, they just need to heal. You’re going to be okay.”

My eyes flutter close again and I sigh. “I’m so tired, Lykaon.” His fingers brush through my hair and caress my cheek. I lean into his touch and sigh, barely conscious anymore. “It hurts so much.”

Lips touch my temple and I feel him get on the bed, pulling me close to him. When I open my eyes, his eyes are only inches away from mine. He says, “I’m right here, Opal.” After that, I fall asleep again.

Someone is shaking me awake gently and I groan, pain lancing through my hand and up my arm. I start to cry out until I open my eyes and see Lykaon holding a glass of water in one hand and something small in the other hand. Behind him, Klyn was holding a bowl of something hot and steaming. They both looked to be exhausted and distressed.

Lykaon says, “Here, we’ve got medicine and food for you. Do you think you want some soup?”

I glance at Klyn and nod once, craving anything. Lykaon put the cup and pill down before coming over and helping me sit up. I rest my hand on my lap and take the pill and water, then let Lykaon hold the bowl while I eat. Klyn stands near the door with his arms crossed, watching us. He’s frowning and looks like he is having bad thoughts. I get tired of this after a while and pause eating to ask him, “What’s wrong?”

He raises his brows in surprise before shaking his head. “Nothing, just thinking.”

“About?”

This sparks a small smile from him. “The past.”

I decide not to ask any more and finish my soup, then let Lykaon help me to the bathroom. He closes the door behind us and slowly helps me to the toilet. “May I help you, Opaline?”

I glance to my sweats then to my hand then to the toilet. Going to the bathroom one-handed was going to be difficult and agonizingly slow. I look to Lykaon and blush, nodding my head. “Okay.”

Wrapping an arm around my back, he pulls my pants and panties down, then lets me sit. While I go, he gets the toilet paper ready and keeps his eyes averted. When I’m finished, we walk over to the sink and he helps me wash my hand while washing his own. By the time my hand is dry and we’re back in the bedroom, I’m exhausted again. Lykaon lays me down on the bed and covers me, then sits beside me. “We need to talk, Opaline.”

I narrow my eyes in confusion, wondering what happened or what I did wrong. When nothing comes to mind, I say, “Nadine isn’t here? Someone died? My hand isn’t going to heal?”

“No, no, and yes. Your hand will heal,” my mate says with a small sad smile. “We need to talk about your trouble with mind linking.”

“Oh,” I say, a little relieved.