Opaline

<In light of the new year, I am giving you an extra chapter to start it off! Happy New Year!>

As I'm playing with the children, I see Lykaon head towards the house alone, leaving Klyn on the bench. I'm not worried exactly, just aware that he's no longer near. Tasha, the girl whom I met the day of Lykaon's  leaving here, came up and asked if we could talk. I hadn't minded and  went to sit on the swings with her. She was very talkative and said her  mother was very grateful for helping her find her daughter. I merely  brushed it off, but smiled at the girl and said it was no problem.

Tryn  also came up to embrace me in a hug, chanting his thanks for saving  him. He also gave me a necklace made of string and beads as a gift.  Slipping it on, I told him to go run and play while I took a break.  Watching him run away into the playground, I walked over to Klyn and sat down beside him. "You can go do something, you know?" I asked him.

He  chuckled. "Then I'd lose you in the sea of wolves and never be able to  find you, which means you could be in possible danger and it'd be my  fault."

"You don't need to watch me, Klyn."

"It's my job to protect you, Opaline."

I sighed and slumped back. "It doesn't have to be."

"As Beta, I am the first Lykaon goes to help protect you and the pack. As Luna, you are the heart of the pack, what keeps us all together, the glue."

"So?" I ask.

He looks at me. "So? It means you are well loved."

I shrug and sigh. "Your pack barely knows me."

"Our pack," he corrects. "Why do you all of a sudden not want to be Luna?"

"I do, but I don't like anyone hovering that much." I pause, then add, "Except him."

Klyn  smirked. "He isn't always going to be around you to protect you, no  matter how much you'd want that. He gives me the privilege of watching  you, protecting you, helping you if need be."

I bite my tongue and think about my response. "And then there's the others. Klyn, there are people around, you don't have to watch if there are other people around, do you?"

"Yes, I do. There are only children right now. And not everyone is as strong as I or Lykaon."

A throat cleared behind us and we turn to see Jacques there, rubbing his neck. "Father wants to see you, Opal."

"I'm not sure if she's ready for that," Klyn hisses.

Jacques looks at him. "I'm only obeying my Alpha's orders."

"I don't know if that's a good idea, Jacques," I say softly.

"Please, Opaline. Just talk to him?" he begs.

I look at Klyn. "Okay."

"No!" Klyn says darkly. "You aren't going!"

"I'm not sure if I will be able to avoid him much longer. What else am I supposed to do, Klyn?"

"Wait for Lykaon!"

"Um..." Jacques says, making us look at him. "No one else is allowed...Especially not him."

I go to stand, but Klyn grabs my arm. "No!"

Conflicted, I glance between the two and sigh. "I must."

"Lykaon will be pissed."

I slip my hand out of his and back away. "Do I have a choice? He'll see me at dinner. I'll have to face him at some point."