Opaline

Alpha Zy and Lykaon  were talking about something important when the woman I saved and her  baby followed me into my mate's office and started hiding, both of us in  terror of the man we saw right outside the house. I knew when I saw him  that he'd come into the house in search of my mate, but might catch the  scent of one of us, so we hid in the only safest place there was:  wherever my mate was, since he was the Alpha, not to mention the other  alpha there too. 

Lykaon  let me cower under the desk as he stood up and walked over so he was  standing right beside me, protecting me with his body while his desk  provided a place to hide. I didn't know where my friend was, but I was  too scared to try and look. 

From somewhere behind me, I heard Zy say, "Am I missing something?"

My  mate's only response was, "Get the girl and baby over here quickly."  There was a shuffle of movement, a cry of fear, and then Lykaon  stepped to the side and helped the woman down beside me, handing her  the baby. "Stay quiet and don't move, no matter what," he whispers.

I nod and he stands back in place as I hear a knock. "Alpha Zy? What are you doing here?" I hear that deep, cruel voice say in a mocking tone. 

"Same as you, I presume. The Luna ceremony to welcome Lykaon's mate."

There was a chuckle and then my mate said, "What are you doing here, in my house?"

"Alpha Aryn sent me ahead to ask you for a favor." He paused, letting the two alphas process what he said. "He would like to have dinner with you and your mate, as a kind of private welcome from him to her."

"That won't be necessary. He can just show up at the ceremony and welcome my mate along with the rest," Lykaon replied smoothly.

"Is there a reason he needs to see his mate before everyone else?" Alpha Zy asked.

I think the man hesitated because he was silent for a long time. "Personal reasons he does not share with me."

"Why can't he ask me himself?" Lykaon asked. 

"See,  that's the problem, isn't it? If he asked you, you'd snap back like you  did the last time and kick him off your land. You've already stood him  up once, Alpha Lykaon. It wouldn't be wise to do so again."

"He can't order me around. We are of the same rank!"

"With  a slight imbalance due to mating reasons. He is—" he cut off and I hear  nothing for a moment. When his growl shakes the room, it takes all my  strength not to whimper. "Lykaon, I am going to ask you this once and once only. Who do you have in this house at this very moment?"

I  saw my mate stiffen but reposition himself so he better protected us.  "The three of us, for one. And my mate is somewhere, probably drawing in  the library."

The man growled again and I heard the door slam shut.  There is silence before another door slammed and we hear a muffled roar  split the bright sky outside. From beside me, the woman is frozen, eyes  wide and staring at nothing, seeming to be somewhere else. I wasn't  sure she was breathing and waved my hand in front of her face, getting  no response. 

"Why in the hell was Vuk here?" Alpha Zy snarled.

Lykaon sighed and bent down, looking at me and the woman. "Opaline, can you take her baby real fast while I help her out?" he asks softly. 

"What if he comes back?" I whisper.

"He  won't. Not right now, anyways. Just hold her child while I help her  out." I do as I'm told and watch as he pulls the woman out and carries  her away. A moment later, he returns and grabs the child, handing it off  to Alpha Zy before finally holding his arms out to me. "Come here, baby."