Chapter 17 - Weapons

"You look lost in thought." I lifted my eyes from the table and looked up at Derrick, nodding my head.

"I am." The vampire sat down beside me and lifted a brow.

"You also look well feed, better than a day ago. And with all that blood, I'm sure your mind is working over time," he said and I smiled.

"To some degree." Derrick leaned his arms on the table and lifted a brow, knowing better but not saying anything.

"Do you know where Elric is? He left me." I shook my head at his question.

"I told him to go, something came up with a coven in Span and I needed answers that he would only find in person rather than over a phone or something."

"What could possibly be coming up that you would send him over there?"

"Other vampires are questioning my coven. You know I was powerful and many are starting to think it's not powerful if I'm not in charge and I can't have other vampires attacking that coven or being worried that I can't lead." Derrick nodded at the unspoken words and he leaned back in his seat.

"I guess that's a good reason to leave. But who will help me?" I smiled at him and he smirked. "Does Grayson know or am I going to have to fight a wolf for you again?' I rolled my eyes at him.

"It was one fucking time and I didn't ask you to, you did it because you wanted to and because you hated him."

"Beside the point." At that comment I rolled my eyes again.

"No, Grayson isn't quite aware but no, you shouldn't have to worry about fighting him because he knows what I have to do." This time Derrick rolled his eyes and I couldn't stop the small chuckle.

"Okay, so what's on your mind because I know it's not that."

"No, it's not. Do you remember what the wolf looked like? And the vampire?" I asked.

"I didn't get to see the wolf for long, but yes."

"Now, do you recall that the bodies decay fast?" His brows crinkled at my next question but he nodded. "I've had the pleasure to fight one and though they are dying fast, they are very strong and will likely take out many of us. In fact, I think that if there were a large number, they could out Grayson and I, or at least knock us down for a bit.

"And the power of a witch who has turned is amazing. They are all strong and can do things that many witches can't. The one we fought was throwing fireball at us."

"No way, witches don't have that power, that's not one they are born with."