Chapter 31 - 'Old ties'

I felt him, I felt the shift in the air, I felt the tensing of his muscles, I felt it all before I even heard the roar that left his mouth that was part human and part wolf. I quickly turned to him and cupped his cheeks, making him look at me, although his eyes kept shifting from red to black so I was struggling with who I was dealing with. Knowing Grayson, I'm sure I was fighting both him and Midnight.

"Listen to me," I told him, putting the phone done. "Listen," I repeated, making him blink a few times before nodding. "We have our stones to help protect us from turning; we have an army at our call. And we're moving to destroy what we can. They were given to us for us to protect, my love, but they will be in danger, just like us. This war is going to require all of us, not just you and not just me. They make up the third side of our pyramid and as much as you and I don't want to face it, they're growing up faster and smarter and will be ready to fight this war when the time comes." I felt him slowly let go and I pulled away.

"I hate it when you're right."

"No, you hate admitting that a vampire is right." He just gave me a look and I smiled, letting the fangs extend. "I want to say that we can protect everyone when the time comes, but you and I know that's not possible. So the bottom line with protection comes to the four of us and nothing more."

"I know." He hung his head but nodded. "I know. It's just that as a leader, it's tough to think of those that shouldn't be fighting and will be. And that it's impossible for me to not lose people."

"I think when Lunella created you, she did right by you. You will be a great King to guide all of us because your heart is strong," I told him, still brushing my fingers over his face.

"And your mind is powerful," he told me, pulling me in for a sweet kiss.

"We make the perfect team, we've always said this." He laughed and nodded at the phone. I picked it back up, both Tessa and Jonah looking as if they just didn't hear that whole thing. I merely lifted a brow and Tessa shrugged. "I think it's time for a meeting, along with the preparations on going to the dark realm. Things are moving and we're not," I told her and she nodded.

"Yes, your majesty." I narrowed my eyes at Tessa and ended the call on her laughing.

"That's going to take some getting used to," I said, setting the phone down.

"Have they said anything about the coronation or anything?" I looked at him over my shoulder as I lay back in bed and shook my head.

"You're funny. They won't tell me anything like that this early on. You know how they roll, everything at the last minute it seems." He chuckled as he wrapped his arm around me; his lips brushing over my shoulder where the cut had been.

"There, now I can sleep better without worrying about that." I closed my eyes, a smile on my lips, and nodded. After that round, even I could admit that sleep sounded rather good now.

-----

If humans believed in hell, with the fiery pits and constant suffering, then the dark realm was similar to such a place. The constant suffering wasn't there, at least not like humans would think, but it was a fiery place, with its own areas of black and darkness and places one never wanted to venture into. And if the humans believed that a devil sent fiery darts into one's mind to create evil thoughts to make one sin, then again, the dark realm as such. There weren't thoughts of sinning, but there were firey darts cast into one's soul. It gave you power, if you let it, that's how it ensnared you in that realm.

The dark realm was a seductive place for power, for growth, and for strength unknown. It was a place one could dwell to recover faster without understanding how, it was a place where one could use magic rooted in ways unknown and with gifts unknown, and it was a place that one could feed with some of the sweetest blood on creatures unknown. And therein lies the problem with the dark realm, it was unknown. The fires cast their own power over you that lead you into those dark spots. And within those areas is where the stone was to be found.

But the realm, it was seductive and it called you constantly. And the power, the strength, the blood was always alluring. And if you had ever been once and escaped the bond it held, then you were lucky. But the feeling to want to go back was still very strong. The power found within the realm always made you want more, to feed more, to be stronger, faster, and smarter. It was the demise of the dark side, to want more, to want what only if could give you.

I glanced at the team, and my heart broke. Any one of us knew about the dangers, it was something we were taught, but one either made a choice not to go or to go, but never forced. And these three were. They were going down to find a few rocks that were so desperately needed to help fight and that was a hard pill to swallow. I licked my lips and looked at Anna, Derrick, and Tessa. These were friends and I feared that they could be seduced but also that Demonio might sense something. I finally grabbed Derrick and pulled him aside.

"We've taken this road together," I started but Derrick shook his head.

"I know what's on the line, Fire. I won't make the same mistakes. I've been down that road and know what I lost." It wasn't often that vampires, especially older ones, had regrets over their lifetime. We often just lived, however, we chose because we had such long lives, but I knew Derrick for hundreds of years and I knew he regretted the members of his coven he lost to the dark realm because it had taken a hold of him.

"I would do it if I could," I told him. Derrick looked at me for a long moment before he took my left hand in his and brought it up to his lips, placing a brief kiss on it.

"You are to be my queen; I will follow you wherever you lead. And I take great joy in not only protecting you but serving you. How Demonio did not realize you were there for so long, I will never figure out." We both turned to look at the other two ladies who were talking to Grayson, his eyes focused on us though. "He doesn't like me."

"He knows we have a past," I said as I looked at Derrick once more.

"I promise to protect them with my life," he finally told me.

"I know you will. However, Tessa is a powerful witch and I'm sure she'll keep you safe rather than you keeping them safe." We walked back over to the group and I took Grayson's hand. "I don't have to tell you to mind each other's back, because you know that. You know what's there." They all nodded and Grayson cleared his throat.

"I wish we had something, anything, that could cloak you or give you something to be unseen and safe, but there's not. However, there is an old protection spell that I was taught by the witches when I was little. I never knew what for but something tells me it's for this moment." I watched as Grayson closed his eyes and felt his hand change in my hand, Midnight coming forth to help push the power into the spell. I closed my eyes as I heard his soft chants and from somewhere long ago I could recall it as well and started to say it. I heard both Tessa and Jonah join in, a smile in their voice. Finally, I opened my eyes and looked at them.

"That's an ancient spell, mostly only the Elders know it," Jonah said, glancing between both Grayson and me.

"Well, our ties our old you know that," I teased him. He smiled and we turned back to the group as they walked out of the room.
The dark realm was a place that one had to walk into, not a subconscious or dream-like place. It was real, and it was harsh, and it was brutal. It was a kept secret of how to get there unless you knew, and of course, we all knew. I wiped my hand down my face as I watched the trio walk into the dark woods and then narrowed my eyes as I saw something glow over them.

"Grayson," I called and pointed to them, and he turned around, seeing the glow as well.

"What is that?" he questioned but I shook my head, unable to see anything but I frowned as I heard something. I turned away from the window and looked at the doorway, seeing both Rosemina and Rayne there, holding each other's hands, eyes closed, and both whispering a spell, and I knew they cast something over them, just unsure what. Finally, they opened their eyes and smiled at me.

"What did you cast?" I asked, walking over to them, Grayson following me.

"A masking spell, mama," Rosemina said and I stood in awe before them.