Chapter 28 - Not normal

A pair of red eyes watched the big wolf as it ran off. They watched as it changed back into a human form. They also watched as it wiped at the foam that was still lingering at its mouth and then watched as it spits the red liquid into a vial and capped it. Her own wolf was clawing and growling in her mind to be free, to defend her mother, to go after that wolf, and tear it limb from limb. However, she was much too little and though stronger than other kids her size, she couldn't go against a wolf-like that.

She felt the other hand wrap around hers and she fought to keep the claws from coming out and hurting her brother. They had seen the fight, both seen how strong their mother was, but both were surprised to see the wolf take her down like that. Red eyes followed the witches as they took Fire and brought her into the hotel. Rosemina's head turned, trying to follow the wolf again, and inside her head did she hear brother scream at her to come back, to let this go, and that their time to fight and defend was coming, but it wasn't now. She blinked a couple of times before turning to look at her brother who nodded in understanding.

"What are you two doing out here?" They both turned and looked at Tessa who was helping me and they grinned before taking off to their room.

"Let them, I'll talk to them in a bit," I told her, sitting down on the couch. "You need to call Grayson right away though." Dylan walked into the living room, looking at me before looking around.

"Where are the twins?"

"Some baby sitter you are," I scolded. "They were outside on the patio and now they just ran back to their room."

"Odd, I didn't leave the door open," he said, sitting next to me.

"You don't have to, they can open it. However, they can't undo the locks." He nodded.

"Point taken," he said, looking at me once more. "What happened to you?" I swallowed hard, wincing at the pressure Jonah was putting on it.

"I got attacked." Dylan just lifted a brow but I shook my head. "I'll explain everything when Grayson gets here because I'm not sharing this again."

"Good," Tessa said as she slid her phone in her pocket, "because he's around the corner." Tessa sat down next to Jonah as they looked over the wound. It had stopped bleeding, but I was going to need Grayson's blood to start healing it. And we didn't have long to wait as he ran through the door, looking around.

"Holy shit, Fire, what the hell happened?"

"I was attacked?" His eyes narrowed as they looked at me and I smiled. "A demon wolf, that was probably about four feet taller than me came up behind me. He was stronger than I ever fought. I was jumping on him and biting, and nothing was working, nothing was bringing him down."

"You sure it was a demon?"

"Positive, Grayson. His eyes were golden and he was foaming, but oddly, not a lot, not like I've seen in the past." I paused, Tessa tending to the wound and I shook my head. "I know this sounds strange given the fact that I should have been able to take it down, that I've done so in the past. And I used my strength but he was stronger than anything I ever fought." Once the wound was cleaned Grayson waved everyone out and said he'd call a meeting once he had more info.

"Fire," he said, taking my hand within his, "I think we need to start being more careful with things. With these demons gaining strength and now there being more, I have a feeling you and I are on the radar."

"I agree there. I just hadn't been outside long. Like it was waiting for me, so yeah, I would say we are at the top of a target list." I sighed and Grayson kissed me before lifting his hand up to his mouth and cutting his wrist with his fang. I watched him and had to smile. It was still questionable how wolves and vampires worked, but he and I were working on it, we were showing that even with our traits, we were good together. "What makes you think that's how I want to heal?"

"I know it's not," he started, holding his bleeding wrist up to my mouth. I took it and started drinking while he nodded to the hallway. "However we got company and the real healing has to wait till they are down for the night." I laughed as I licked at his wound once I was done and smiled as the skin healed itself back together. Once his hand dropped back to his lap, Rosemina launched herself at him.

"Daddy!" she squealed and he picked her up, kissing her cheek.

"Were you good for Dylan?" Rosemina nodded and played with his shirt. I watched her as she seemed extra focused on that as if she was either trying to gauge something or trying to focus on something. Finally, she looked up at him, her smile gone and a determination set in place.

"Daddy," she mumbled before she cupped his cheeks, her eyes wide, "show....yous." I couldn't help but smile as she pushed herself to even say that. Yes, these two were amazing with what they could do and how they were. It also scared me with how fast they were growing up. Rayne jumped on my lap as he let his sister handle this one.

Her eyes focused on Grayson's and he stared, allowing her to show the images she needed. There was no doubt in my mind what she was showing him because I was quite positive they saw the whole thing. And though I might hate it, I was grateful because now Grayson could see what I'm talking about and not think I'm losing my mind. I watched as he flexed, and then flinched, and then growled. Yup, I know the part he just got to and how upset that made him. Finally, Rosemina let his cheeks go and she moved to sit next to me, laying her head on my lap.

Grayson stood up and began to pace, his hands clenching and then unclenching. I wanted to hug him, to soothe him, but this was something he was going to have to work out in his own mind. I was still wrapping my mind around it and that shit happened to me. He stopped suddenly and turned to face me, his eyes piercing mine.

"What the fuck was that?" I rolled my eyes at his choice of words but sighed.

"That is what I told you."

"That's not normal. That is nothing of what we have seen, Fire. You have strength, even more, than what you did before; you should have had no problem kicking that wolf's ass and yet you didn't."

"I know. He got me, we fought, he was able to bite me, how that's possible, I don't know. I fed just the other day so its not like I was weak in hunger." I stood up and walked over to him. "Here's the odd thing when one breaks it down, he had me at his mercy, which is a new feeling, but he didn't kill me. That was never his end goal. It is as if he just wanted the bite for the blood." Grayson stared at me and I could see the calculations in his mind. That was true, I could have died at the wolf's hand for how powerful, but I didn't. Why? That's what these demons were doing, killing and leaving, so what happened with me?

Grayson grabbed his phone and went to his gallery, pulling up a video. He paused and zoomed in on a photo before moving to show me. I scanned it quickly, seeing it was a demon wolf as well. However, this one was not nearly as tall or as big.

"What I saw from Rosemina, Fire, is not a normal wolf. We saw it ourselves what they look like, how they are. Then these new attacks and videos show them with new Alpha blood. And neither of these are the same as that."

"What are you thinking?" I asked, wrinkling my own brow. This was all strange and I didn't like it, not that I liked much of this anyway.

"That wolf you saw was with different blood, not just Francis's blood. We know we are special to Demonio, however, we don't know if he knew about me. But maybe he does."

"So what? It's not like he's had access to you to try anything?"

"Not from me. But maybe from something I touched. He was at the party with Francis; he could have grabbed a glass for all we know. I know he was watching us, so it would have been perfect." He began pacing and shook his head. "We were created for good, to fight, to lead, and to protect." I nodded and he paused.

"Yes, we were."

"Our blood can easily be used to fuel those demons, that's what Demonio wants with us. What we don't know is what our blood does." Grayson pointed to my arm. "But from what I see, what I saw, and what you experienced, I'm going to say my blood gives strength in-bounds unheard of. And if you, as old as you are and as strong as you are, can't take it down, what hope do we have if Demonio got me to use more of my blood?"