Chapter 18 - 'As the king'

I walked into the room, smiling as I heard the babies laughing with Grayson. And as I watched him on the floor, the babies were crawling over him. I almost wished that I could give him more than just these two even though we were both thankful for them. But even magic had to be careful.

"Are you okay?" I blinked a couple of times and saw Grayson standing before me with Rosemina who had her arms stretched out.

"Yeah," I said as it took her, "I just got back from talking with Derrick." Grayson narrowed his eyes and let out a growl, causing me to roll my eyes. "Not like that, we were talking about the weapons."

"As if that's any better." He paused as he bent down to lift Rayne up. "Wait, thought Elric was supposed to be helping with that?"

"He was, but I sent him off to Spain to do something."

"And you didn't tell me why?" I gave him a sheepish look and shrugged.

"Things have been kind of busy and it was about me anyways and not you, nor about the things going on. At least I don't think it is I could be wrong."

"Oh, so that's how this starts? You keep things because you don't think they are important to me because they don't deal with me directly?"

"Oh stop, I didn't mean to make it sound like that, you did." I laughed as Grayson rolled his eyes and moved to walk on the balcony, Rayne smiling at being outside, even if he was being held. I walked out behind him and laid my head on his shoulder. "Elric got a phone call from a coven in Spain questioning if I was still in charge and it worried me that someone would be asking that so I had him go to check things."

"Odd, I gather there are a few reasons why that's not a good thing." I nodded, not wanting to go on and he left it alone. "What did you and Derrick figure out?"

"Well, a couple of designs, but we need to lay all the cards on the table and this time, it's going to involve every one of us and it's a lot more dangerous than even I like to admit."

-----

Three days later, I sat across from Elric in my office and looked at him, not sure what to make of the things I was being told. It had seemed that word was spreading that that I had stepped away from the coven and the big question was why? Every damn vampire knew that I had my coven for centuries and I wasn't the type to just walk away for no reason. And because of that, vampires were starting to make up their own stories and that was always dangerous.

I stood up and walked over to the window but I wasn't looking at the view or at the people. My mind was just too distracted for that at this point. What was making this so much harder was the fact of people making things up and realizing I wasn't there, then they knew something big was about to go down. Vampires were old, we all had seen way more of life then we thought we would have so of course we question oddities. The fact that it was vampires that was the source of this demon problem at the moment and that I wasn't around to lead my coven was probably putting the fear into them that I was the probably behind that somehow.