Chapter 04

Drake

I paced up and down in my room. But I couldn't calm myself down. I was this close to find my mate but she disappeared like she never existed.

My wolf was restless this morning and so was I. I knew something was up but couldn't figure it out. When I arrived at school, Roy was already there with Claire, in the car park waiting for rest of us. He usually came before us since he drove Elly to school everyday.

'Elly'

I didn't think that her name would stuck in my mind forever. After what had happened two years ago I couldn't let go of her from my mind. I was at fault and I still regret what I said. But at that time I had enough of girls throwing them at me. And they became crazy specially on my birthday. They tried to win my heart by giving me expensive gifts and confessed their love through them. That was why I mistook Elly as another one.

What hurt me the most was what she said after I apologised.

"It's true that I liked you. But you don't need to worry about me again. Because I don't like you anymore"

I felt like someone stabbed in my heart. After that I tried to talk to her again as a friend. But she ignored me and avoided most of us. Sometimes I unconsciously look for her in the crowd but I hardly see her at school since she stayed away from us on purpose. 

I kept her gift with me still in its box. I couldn't throw it away and was too precious to use it. I had to admit that I was kind of happy when her seventeenth birthday came up. Because she was supposed to move into the pack house with us. I knew lots of boys had looked forward for it.

But everyone was surprised to hear that she wasn't moving in. My father, Alpha of the pack agreed with her mom, letting her stay with her parents. I knew my father was very proud of her, just like most elders did and treated her just like his own. So it was not a surprise to see him agreeing anything to her mom requested.

I kind of hoped Elly would be my mate. But I also knew, I shouldn't have had any thoughts like that, not after what happened.

When I first smelled an intoxicating smell of roses in the car park, my hopes went up about finding my mate. I waited for her more than a year. It was faint but my wolf said it was our mate's and asked me to follow it. But by the time I entered the building her scent had mixed with others and I lost my chance. During the day I was able to smell her scent here and there but not being able to see her in flesh put me on the edge all through out the day.

After football practices I directly went towards boys' changing room to get clean up. On my way there I smelled her scent again. Without a second thought I followed it and ended up near the girls' changing room. Her scent was strong there and I took a deep breathe as my heart started to beat loudly. I hesitated for a moment but went in. I didn't want to lose her again.

As I got inside I noticed there were no other girls except Elly. And my heart skipped a beat thinking she might be my mate. But I was disappointed, I couldn't smell my mate's scent on her. She smelled...different. I wanted to ask her who was here with her but seeing her shocked face, I felt embarrassed. But I asked her anyway.

"Um...who was here with you?"

She didn't answer. I scratched back of my head. She might be still in her shock.

"Elly!" I shouted. She shook her head getting out of her shock.

"I'm sorry. What did you say Alpha?" She asked.

"Man! What the hell are you doing here?" That was Ian.

"I smelled her again" I replied him shortly. "I asked, who was here with you?" I repeated my question to Elly.

"Lots of girls Alpha. This is the changing room. Girls walk in and out all the time" She said.

Urgh! How was I supposed to find her now? I left the room with Ian hot on my tail.

"Are you sure Elly is not the one?" He asked.

"Yes! It wasn't her"

Guys tried to cheer me up by saying I would find her soon and I shouldn't be worried. But days went by and I couldn't find a single clue about her. I was getting impatient and was angry all the time. Everyone was walking on eggshells around me but I couldn't help it. I was sure that if I smelled her scent, she could have smelled me too. But why didn't she come to me?

"She is hiding"

"What!?"

"She might be hiding from you" Ian said.

"Why...? I'm her mate!" I shouted. That was some nonsense.

"Maybe she doesn't want you as her mate" He shrugged. I growled and grabbed his collar. But Roy pushed me back.

"We'll find her. We will help you to find her" Roy promised.

"Yes, she might have her own reasons. But let's find her first okay?" Claire patted my back.

So we spent next days looking for ways to find my mate. They argued she might be someone who turned seventeenth during holidays. Because I didn't smell her scent before that. So we managed to get a list and that list included Elly too. I had to check her again. But I really hoped I would find her this time.