Chapter 16

Drake

"What's wrong with you today?"

Roy asked Ian for the hundredth time. We all were annoyed with Ian because of his behaviour since this morning. Sometimes he looked like he was out of this world and if not he was grumpy. I could see he was restless about something, but didn't respond when I asked about it.

When we entered the school it became worse. He would growled at others or would try to get into a fight if they were on his way. He was my Beta and I had to know what was going on with him. So we dragged him to a corner and tried to talk him out. But he didn't say anything and was annoyed when we asked questions. It was not working.

"Ian" I used my Alpha tone. I hate to use it on people and specially on my friends unless it was really necessary. Ian stood straight responding to my voice.

"Yes, Alpha!" He replied.

Okay, that was a good start. "What's wrong with you?" I asked.

He hesitated for a moment and looked at our faces. We were eager to know his answer. He sighed.

"My wolf is restless since this morning. He paced around in my head like something is bothering him but when I asked he stayed silent. And I was annoyed too. Because I can't seem to focus on anything today" he explained.

Could it be?

"I think you're going to meet your mate today" I blurted out. I remembered how I was that day. "Yes! That's the only reason I can give you"

Ian smiled nervously. "No, it can't be. It has been over a year now"

I shrugged. "Same for me"

"Wow! That was the reason" Mike said surprised.

"I'm only guessing" I said.

"You should have used your Alpha tone on your mate, Drake. Then..."

I growled at Mike.

"Would YOU!?"

Mike put his hands up surrendering. "Sorry"

I nodded my head trying to calm myself down. What kind of mate would I be if I used my authority to force her to accept me. I wanted her to come to me on her own and I wanted her to fall in love with me naturally. Even if I had to do thousands things to win her heart, I would do it too.

I broke out of my thoughts when I saw Elly coming our way. I was surprised to see her since she avoided us most of the time. My eyes darted towards Lisa who stood few feet away from us. She was trying to control her breathing and it looked like Elly followed her here. I was informed that Lisa was going to move into the pack house after her birthday this week...Oh my goddess! No way!

Ian turned around slowly and I saw Elly's shocked face as well as others. Ian whispered 'Mate' and walked slowly towards the girl. Lisa didn't move but she smiled lovingly and stared at each other before they kissed. I looked away. Would my mate and I be the same? Nah! She already knew me and she didn't want me.

I was happy for Ian but at the same time it hurt too. We moved around the couple giving them some privacy. I saw Josh talking to Elly and they also turned to walk away. I walked past them quickly as I didn't want to see them together too.

But I stopped in my tracks when I felt tiny sparks for a second. Surprised, I turned around to face Elly, whom had her eyes looking away. If I didn't imagine it, I was sure that I saw fear in her eyes.

"Are you okay, Drake?" Josh asked.

"Yes, I'm okay!" I replied still keeping my eyes on Elly. She avoided my eyes and if she wasn't going to look at me, how was I supposed to sort this out.

"Do you have anything to ask from Elly, my MATE!?" Josh asked again.

My eyes widened. Mate! She was Josh's mate. What was I thinking?

"No" I replied. With that I turned around and joined my group who had confused looks on their faces. I shook my head to say it was nothing. But I was confused too. If she had a mate then how could I feel sparks? And the scent, it was different too. Did I just imagine everything then? Urgh!

"Are you alright?" Claire asked me.

"Yeah!"

"Don't worry. We're going to find your mate too" Roy patted my back.

I smiled and walked away. I needed some time alone to myself. I couldn't forget what happened earlier and how amazing it was when I felt those sparks. Whether I imagine it or not the feeling was pure joy and relaxing. Imagine being with her all day and night, I wouldn't ask for anything more.

But the problem was I had all those feelings with the wrong person, Elly, Josh's mate. Could it be that I had strong feelings for her and imagined things since my mate was not around. Hmm...That might be the case.

During lunchtime Lisa joined our table and we welcomed her happily. I guessed she was part of our group now, but I knew Biyanka and the twins hated it. Lisa ignored them completely and I could see a feisty and perfect Beta female in that girl.

Well...Roy had Claire and Ian found his mate today. If only my mate was here everything would be perfect. We would be like a little family that mattered nothing but our own happiness. But I knew that happiness was far far away.