Chapter 19

Elly

After sacrificing my one and only best friend to the Drake's group, I walked to the cafeteria alone. I couldn't believe Ian was Lisa's mate. That was not fair. Moon goddess wasn't playing fair.

First it was my brother! He had to be the future head of warriors and one of Drake's best friends. It was okay! They were friends since childhood. I accepted their friendship eventhough I didn't like it. I had to agree, Moon goddess had nothing to do with it.

But what was she thinking when she chose me as Drake's mate? And when she chose Lisa, my best friend, as Ian's mate? Was she ganging up with Drake against me? I nearly had a heart attack that day when I felt sparks with Drake. It felt amazing, but I didn't have the time to cherish it as I came to understand what had happened. I was so grateful that Josh was by my side. If not, urgh! I didn't want to think what could have happened.

Drake looked confused but I knew he wouldn't be able to forget it soon. Because I couldn't. I hoped he wouldn't suspect me because of that few seconds. And I sighed knowing that there was nothing I could do too.

Usually I didn't have my lunch in the cafeteria. God knew how much I hated that place. But as Josh's mate or fake mate I had to sit in the cafeteria throughout the lunch, with his group of friends. Josh told me his friends knew about the truth, that I was not his mate and only helping him. As promised Josh kept my secret to himself and made sure I was comfortable around his group. Since his friends were nice and easy going, I didn't mind it too.

Lisa joined Drake's table as Ian's mate and the Beta female. She had to. Since I had my mate Josh!, there was no way of asking Lisa to stick with me. Sometimes I wondered how wonderful would it be to hang out with that group where you had your brother and your best friend by your side. We would be like a little family that shared warmth, love and happiness through our bond.

The thought warmed my heart, but it wasn't strong enough to heal my wounds. I shook my head not wanting to think about anything. I was already late and I didn't want to keep Josh waiting.

As soon as I entered the cafeteria, Drake's scent hit me hard. I breathed it in as it became a habit of mine, ever since I started to have my lunch here. It calmed me down as much as it worried me. Because I shouldn't get used to it, to him.

Josh was no where to be seen. And I hesitated to walk towards Drake's group but I had to find him. As I walked forward, Drake's scent filled my nose and it started to take over my senses. I knew exactly where he was seated and struggled not to look at that direction. For each step I took forward, I lost my strength to the mate bond and I finally gave up.

I looked up to have a quick glance towards Drake but at the same time I was surprised to see him already looking at me. He didn't look away or neither did I. His eyes held so many emotions but the more I stared into them, I was able to read one emotion clearly. It was Love!

My heart started beat faster and my brain fogged with emotions. And the smile he put on only made it worse. I managed to tear my eyes away somehow, but blood rushed to my cheeks thinking about what just happened. Why was he looking at me like that? With so much love in those beautiful eyes. Was it really for me?

The only explanation I believed was that the mate bond pushed him to do it involuntarily. And I wasn't going to accept anything else.I stopped in my tracks when Josh mindlinked, asking me to stop walking and stay right there until he comes to me. I wondered why but I did as he told. I didn't have to wait long as I saw him walking towards me, in a hurry!

I could tell he was nervous about something but I waited patiently until he spilled it out. As soon as he came Josh whispered two sentences in my ear sending me to a shock.

"They figured everything out! Drake knows you're his mate"

As soon as I got out of my shock, my eyes hang around Drake's group. I watched each one of them who sat at Drake's table including Lisa and my brother. They all  were trying to make it not obvious but the expressions on their faces gave it out.

I felt nervous thinking about Drake's next move and I feared of my past repeating itself. Josh dragged me out, away from the crowded place and I was thankful. He told me everything, from the beginning to the end including the looks Drake got from others throughout the day.

He knew about yesterday and the sparks. So he understood, what Drake was going through. Josh told me it was Biyanka's name that made him eavesdrop to their conversation. And he stayed because they started to talk about me too.

When I met Lisa again she had this guilty look on her face and we talked less. I would talk to her later but not now. What I really worried about was Drake and what he was planning to do with me now.