Chapter 68: Christmas

Y/N-

We sat there staring up at the sky as he named all of the constellations he could remember till eventually I started to doze off and he picked me up.

"As much as I'd love to fall asleep under the stars with you, we should get back because you have a train to catch tomorrow morning."

"Fine." I said groggily and we apparated back to our dorm.

Upon landing Theo jumped from his bed, "what did he get you??"

I held out the journal and Theo smiled pulling the covers back on the bed beside him.

I reached over and put the journal on my desk, casting a protection charm in case anyone had any ideas.

Then climbed into bed between the two of them, cuddling up and dreading the morning cause it would mess it up.

My eyes closed but I didn't let myself fall asleep.

I wanted to appreciate every single moment.

Then I felt Theo shift beside me, "pssst... Tom... you awake?" He whispered quietly.

"Yes. Shut the fuck up or you'll wake her." Tom whispered back.

"I will. I just wanted to say thanks. I know you didn't do this for me but still. Oh and Merry Christmas."

Silence rang for a minute.

"Merry Christmas." He finally whispered back and I felt Theo shift in excitement beside me.

I figured he'd never had a real Christmas but I'd never imagined they'd ignored it all together.

It took everything in me not to smile.

"I love you brother." Theo finally mustered up the courage to whisper back.

The silence was deafening. Anticipation. I knew it would be hard for Tom to show that kind of affection.

He sighed. "I love you too Theo."

A slight chuckle whispered from Theo's lips as he smiled, "I remember when you used to call me that. You are the only other person to call me Theo before her."

Nothing. Silence.

"And I called you Tommy while we ran through the Lestrange Manor playing hide and seek."

I felt Tom shift. But he still didn't say anything.

"It always took you forever to find me." Theo continued.

"That's cause I wasn't looking." Tom said in a calm whisper.

"What do you mean?"

"I would tell you to play hide and seek when Bellatrix came home angry and was looking for someone to beat. Or when there were death eater meetings. I wanted you safe from all of that so I told you to hide. Then found you when it was over."

My heart ached at his words.

Tom was a protector way before he met me.

It explains the difference in their demeanors. Tom took up the role as the evil child, son of the devil, to protect Theo as much as he could.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know." Theo finally broke the silence.

"Don't apologize, I don't regret it. You have a chance to be the good guy where I can't."

"I-"

"No. End of discussion or she'll wake up." Tom cut him off. I could feel his heart racing against my back. He hated talking about emotions. I was proud of him for lasting that long.