Ch 17 : Survivor's Guilt

.
.
The three had now reached the base, bit no one was there to greet them. The once lively base was now filled with silence.

"Now..What?" Gunther asked as he looked at Winslow.

"We should rest for now... that was quite a scary experience after all.. " Winslow replied as he patted his sister who was still trembling. 

Gunther looked over at Willow and nodded. The three decided to rest and process all that's happened.

Willow went to sleep while Winslow sat in the lounge of the second floor, his mind not allowing him to rest. Gunther had gone to take a quick bath. Their was no water supply at the base , but with the help of Vincent they were able to get a water pipe connected with the bath and toilet.

Winslow was lost in thought.

Did I make the right decision..? To leave everyone and escape? was that selfish of me? was I really thinking of everyone or just me and Willow? I...I left them... I said we'd get them later but... when is.. later? ... we couldn't find Mia either... and Arion wasn't with us either... What If we never find them again..Uggghh dammit don't think that way. It'll be..okay...right?

He was frustrated with himself. He was slowly losing the confidence he usually would have. He was becoming afraid of the possibilities of them not being able to save the others. He was drowning. Drowning in a sea of negative emotions and thoughts.

Gunther, too, was drowning because he accidentally fell asleep in the bath and was currently choking on the water. He had been lost in thought as well and ended up falling asleep because he was tired from the fight.

He didn't die though, he jumped out of the water causing splashes to be heard in the bath area.

"HAH-HAH- *COUGH* *COUGH* Hah...hah.." He struggled to breath for a while. After his breathing returned to normal , he wore the clothes , which consisted of a blue full-sleeved shirt and brown jeans. The clothing they had was mostly provided by Vincent.

Vincent would give them clothes every year. They would always refuse such things but he would tell them that those clothes were of his older siblings and that they no longer fit them so he decided to give them away.

Gunther left the bath area and decided to sleep for a bit. He saw Winslow sitting in the lounge with his head on the ground.

"Wins, you can take a bath now.." Gunther said but Winslow didn't respond.

He was still lost in thought.

'...It's all my fault...'

Gunther suddenly pulled Winslow in a hug. "It's okay , Wins , we'll get them all back, safe and sound." He patted him on the head a few times and stayed in the embrace for a while. Winslow who was already experiencing several emotions was at his breaking point and the hug made him breakdown.

Winslow began to cry.

Tears rolled down his cheeks and he couldn't help but scream and cry in frustration. Gunther simply sat beside him hugging him and telling him that everything's gonna be okay.

----

Winslow had fallen asleep while letting out all his frustrations. Gunther carried him to where Willow was sleeping and placed him beside her for him to rest. He looked at Winslow and remembered the face of him crying. Winslow wasn't the type to cry openly in front of people.

'For him to cry like that.... He must've had a lot on his mind...'

"Did he cry? " A small voice asked.