Ch 72 : Escorts

Five years had passed. Arius was now fourteen years old, and Athanasia was thirteen. In Obelia, the coming of age ceremony for boys would be when they turned fifteen and for girls when they turned fourteen.

There was little less than a month until Athanasia's fourteenth birthday, but the family had discussed it over and come to the conclusion that they would have a joint debutante.

Since there were only two months between the siblings birthdays, and the royal children, as well as their father weren't all that fond of crowded places, they decided to hold just one grand debutante.

Celebrating the prince and princesses birthday. This way the debutante would be at Arius's birthday, but Athanasia didn't mind, saying she would like to spend her birthday more casually with them anyways.

The night before Athanasia's birthday, Arius, Lucas and the royal children's knights were snooping around in the kitchen. Trying to bake the perfect cake for the little princess.

Suprisingly Cadell knew his way with cakes and instructed the rest. Though his instructions were wasted when Gunther ended up turning the temperature too high and the cake burned.

In the end everyone else was banned from the kitchen and Cadell baked the cake all over, this time himself.

Nevertheless they were able to successfully present the cake to Athanasia right as it was midnight.

Her birthday started with a cake from her friends and as Athanasia had wanted, her birthday was spent comfortably. She woke up at her own time. There were no classes scheduled for the day. Having her lippe tea in the morning as she breakfasted with her brother.

One unexpected surprise was when Ijekiel arrived at the Palace, with a birthday present for the princess and a present for the prince. Arius hadn't know Ijekiel was back so it was a surprise to see him sitting in the Sapphire Palace Gardens.

He didn't stay for too long, but he handed over a wrapped jar. Arius looked at him with a questioning gaze before he explained with a smile, "It's something that reminded me of you, during my time in Arlanta."

Ijekiel then brought forward another box and stated, "For the princess's birthday."

Arius smiled at his thoughtfulness, and was about to accept Athanasia's present, but decided it would be better if he gave it to her himself.

She had been asking Arius about Ijekiel. And from what Arius knew, Athanasia hadn't seen Ijekiel even once yet, although they met as children in 'Who Made me a Princess'.

Ijekiel hesitated at first, but Arius immediately ordered a servant to invite the princess to the Garden.

And so while Athanasia took her time arriving, Arius and Ijekiel caught up a bit on the years they hadn't talked. 

One thing Arius noticed was how tall Ijekiel had become. In the years they hadn't met, Ijekiel truly grew up, a lot. Meanwhile Arius had only gotten some inches taller.  Saying he was jealous of Ijekiel's height was one thing, the second was the fact that when Athanasia finally arrived at the Garden, Ijekiel acted as if Arius was not even there.

Ijekiel stood up as soon as he saw the strands of golden among the greenery of the garden. His hands reached for the present he had brought and he stood with a perfect posture to greet the princess.

"Oh," Arius stood up when he noticed Athanasia at the distance. "She's here." He stated, as he looked at Ijekiel who was staring at his sister.

Arius waved at Athanasia from a distance and that was it for their greeting. When Athanasia got closer to the pergola, Ijekiel bowed slightly with his right hand on his chest.