Ch 37 : Realization

Arius woke up with a start. He had a nightmare about Claude turning into a puppy. He turned around expecting Claude sleeping beside him, but he was greeted by a sleeping Athanasia instead.

He sat up straight and scanned the room for Claude, to no avail. He laid back down. Trying to comprehend last nights events.

Dad has those expressions as well, huh?

Arius questioned as he remembered how Claude looked sad when Arius inquired about their sleeping place.

Claude's inner eyebrows were pulled up and together. His lip corners were pulled down. His upper eyelids were drooping and his eyes were staring straight at Arius's.  He then turned to Athanasia as well, with the same expression and question.

Despite the genuine expression being sad, he looked handsome and quite young when he made that face. Expressions suited him , it made him look young and enhanced his already good looks.

Arius's trail of thoughts drifted to his friends. Arius noticed this yesterday and a few times before as well, but all of them really are different from normal children.

They're mature for their age. Even after being involved with slave traders, they don't seem traumatized.

They adapt to situations quickly. Find solutions just as fast.

Gunther is still a child and yet he hardly ever acts like one.

Willow and Winslow. Those two are even more intelligent than Athanasia and Arius himself. They read books which are normally too complex for children.

Athanasia and Arius are reincarnated. But they're not and yet they're still so talented.

But then how come they didn't stand out in the other two timelines?

The Slave Traders.

Arius clenched his teeth at the thought.

Did the imperial knights arrive too late at the scene? did they resist against the slave traders too much and get themselves killed?

Whatever happened, it took away their lives. That's probably why the Lennox County was hardly mentioned in the other two timelines either.

He shut his eyes close as he thought about the other timelines.

They're just like him.

They died without a mention.

"I'm gonna be the greatest swordsman!" He thought of Cadell and Gunthers wish.

So much potential, so much talent.

So many dreams.

"I'm gonna open a bakery when I grow up." Ruby's dream...

So many hopes.

"I want us all to grow old together."

"They... didn't deserve it." Arius placed his arm above his eyes.

Tears streamed down his face as he quietly mourned their fates in the previous timelines.

"This time...I won't let it happen."

Gunther and Cadell will become the strongest swordsman.

Ruby and Elio will open the best bakery in the whole empire.

Willow and Winslow will read all the books they want to.

Jasper and Lifa will never see their siblings die.

None of them will die.

They will live and stay happy.

"I will make sure of that." Arius decided.

He rubbed his eyes.

Golden rays of sunlight penetrated the room and landed on Arius's face, making the latter turn in irritation.

I'll sleep some more.

Arius turned and closed his eyes, before feeling someone's stare on him.

He opened his eyes to greet jeweled eyes. Athanasia observed Arius while the latter did the same.

Silence remained as the two simply stared at each other for a while before Athanasia shouted, "Your crying!?"

She suddenly placed her hands on Arius's cheeks and shook him up and down while asking him, "Why?! What's wrong?! Did you have a nightmare?!"

"A-Athy! "

Athanasia stopped shaking him and silently observed him, worry dripping from her face.

"I just came to a realization. Speaking of which, I still haven't told you."

Athanasia's eyebrows rose up in curiosity.

"First tell me why you're crying." Athanasia demanded.

She's being awfully kind.

"Athy...are you okay?"

"Shouldn't that be my line?" Athanasia asked.

Something feels off, or am I just overthinking?

"No nightmares. I was just thinking that all those kids could be dead right now. They're all talented. And yet they werent mentioned in Lovely princess."

Athanasia looked visibly uncomfortable at the mention of the novel.

"Just like us. They probably died in the Slave Trader mess. They're just children. Yet they're so mature. I mean, we're reincarnated. They're not. " Arius noticed Athanasia's sad expression and thought he was being too emotional. "But...Not this time. They won't die. They survived. So it's all good. I'm just thinking too much about it, sorry."

"No, you're right...Brother do you think I'm-"

Knock

Knock

"Who is it?" Arius asked.

"Your Highnesses, we heard some shouts, is everything okay?" asked a small male voice.

Arius looked at Athanasia who was drowning in shame. "Everything's fine, haha. We'll be out in a minute."

"What were you saying Athy?"

Athanasia shook her head. "Nothing! let's go, we shouldn't keep them waiting." Athanasia hopped off the bed and was greeted by Raven sleeping on the floor. Snow was also sitting beside the bed waiting for Arius.

Both of them went to their respective Palaces to get fresh and meet the Emperor for breakfast.

----
On their way back after they parted their seperate ways for their palaces, Gunther noticed Arius in deep thought.

"Is something bothering you?" Gunther asked.

"Its Athy...I think she's acting strange..."

"The princess? If you'd like , I can ask Cadell to report anything strange the princess does." 

Arius thought about it for a while.

"No, it's fine, she'll tell me if something bothers her."

I might just be overthinking..
.
.
.
Vote and Comment!