Ch 66 : Eavesdropping

Arius woke up with a start.

After breathing quickly for a while, he calmed down.

It was just a nightmare.

Arius frantically looked around to search for someone and found Athanasia laying beside him with an opened book over her chest.

"Athy." Arius called out to her, but no reply.

"Athanasia. " He called out once again.

And that's when he heard her snoring. He sat up straight, confused by the noise. And stared at Athanasia until he confirmed the creepy snores were definitely Athanasia's.

After that he had a hard time controlling his laughter. His sister's snores were so unrythmic and changed from slow and soft to extremely loud and fast.

Arius wished he had a phone to record this scene for later to show her when she woke up, but alas he didn't.

He completely forgot about his recent nightmare.

After finally having laughed a bit out loud, Arius was now over the snores, and remembered Claude hadn't come to his room for a while.

So Arius left the room and saw Gunther and Cadell standing outside.

"I greet the future sun of the Obelian Empire." The two bowed in sync.

"Your Highness, how do you feel? " Gunther asked worriedly.

"Hey Gun, I'm fine now. Do you know where his Majesty might be? "

Gunther and Cadell shared a look.

"Your Highness, don't overthink this situation. " Cadell warned and Arius raised an eyebrow.

"His Majesty is having an Audience with Lady Milicent." Gunther answered Arius's question.

"They've returned from their trip to the city?" Arius asked as he started walking towards the Audience Chamber.

"Yes, it's been a while since they returned." Gunther answered, following behind him while Cadell remained to guard the door.

"Your Highness, are you going-"

"Yes."

"If I may ask, why?"

Arius stopped.

"I'm not thinking of what happened with Vivia Lennox. I just want to know what they'd be discussing. For her to request an Audience, she could be telling him about those assassins from way back. Dad wouldn't tell me these things so I need to find out myself." Arius reasoned, before marching forward.

_________

They stood behind the door of the Audience Hall. The doors were too thick to hear the conversation on the other side.

"Your Highness . . ." Gunther spoke, asking him what he'll do next.

Arius turned and smiled. "Gun, keep this a secret." He spoke before marching elsewhere.

Although ventilation air ducts weren't a thing I'm this world, there was however space between the ceiling and the next floor for a passage of airways. The roofs would have tiny holes at specific points for the ventilation.

And that passage, although small was enough for Arius to squish himself in. And these passages were a secret he had known for a year now, so he had his time exploring them. The air passage leading to the Audience Chamber.

Gungher stood guard outside the entrance to the air passage.

Soon the prince was above the ceiling of the Audience Chamber.

Arius focused on the sounds from below as he placed his right eye directly on one of the holes.

"My siblings and I wish to stay at the Capital for a while longer, but we also do not wish to overstep our boundaries, therefore we will be staying at Marquis Fritz mansion in the capital."

She's leaving the Palace?! But I still haven't got a chance to befriend her!

"Marquis Fritz?"

"Yes he is my uncle. I will send a letter tonight and we shall head to their estate in the morning. I sincerely thank you for all you have done till now." Millicent bowed.

Arius looked at the two of them. There was something strange about her. Millicent Villareal. She had this weird familiarity towards her.

The way she walked, bowed and looked. It all felt similar, but Arius couldn't understand how.

"Very well then." Claude agreed to her proposal and stood up. "If that is all, I'm leaving."

"I pray that his highness recovers his health soon." Millicent bowed before Claude began walking towards the door.

Oh no, Arius had to hurry.

He crawled out of the airways, for some reason getting out seemed harder than getting in and he was stuck.

"Push! through!" Arius yelled as he forced himself forward.

Crack

Arius didn't know what, but something just cracked. Oh hell now his arm was hurting. Oh no, he didn't. He didn't. HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY BREAK HIS ARM DID HE?

But hey he expected the pain to be worse, and it was pretty bearable right now-

Oh no, IT WORSENED.

After gritting his teeth and getting a bit more adapted to the pain, he-

Swish

He teleported outside the air passages. In the Garnet Palace corridors.. Arius fell on his knees as he clutched his arm in pain.

"Y-Your Highness! What happened?"

"I got stuck." Arius muttered.

"I forcefully moved forward but-" Arius clutched his arm tighter.

"You broke a bone?" Gunther asked.

Arius gave Gunther a teary nod.

Gunther looked absolutely horrified.

"Wh-What do we do? Does it hurt a lot? Should I get ice? or uh bandages?"

"What are you doing outside your room?" A third voice appeared in the hallway. "Didn't you have a fever?"

Gunther and Arius turned slowly to see Lucas.

"Great timing. Heal this." Arius told Lucas.

"What in the world? A fracture? wasn't it a fever?"

"Can you please heal it first?" Gunther asked.

Lucas sighed, before kneeling beside Arius. A magic circle appeared on Arius's left arm and soon he felt s feeling of coolness coming from it.

"Its done." Lucas stood up.

Arius swung his arm around for a while before saying thanks to Lucas.

"So exactly, how did you get your arm broken?" Lucas asked as he followed Arius and Gunther.

"That's a secret." Arius said.

"I'm gonna tell the emperor."

"Gunther will explain to you." Arius told them before going inside the room, leaving the Mage and knight staring at each other.

****
Vote and Comment!