Ch 39: Fear

The two boys were now walking outside of the Sapphire Palace.

"Your...Highness, What are you going to do?"

"..."

Arius quietly kept walking.

What. do it do now. I have to stop that stupid audience somehow, but barging straight in isn't the best option since WHAT IF THEY'RE ACTUALLY DISCUSSING SOMETHING IMPORTANT?!

Arius sighed.

Okay think. How can Claude come out of that stupid room? If it's something concerning his children he should probably come...right? Well, what? should I eat poison?

Arius exhaled another deep sigh as he was making his way to the Garnet Palace's Audience Chambers.

-----

The two were now standing outside the grand doors to the Audience Chambers.

"Um...Are we going inside?" Vincent asked and Arius just stood looking at the door.

I thought of thinking of a plan on the way. BUT I HAVE NOTHING. now what?!

Arius was panicking in his head, when suddenly the doors opened themselves.

"Mother, is your meeting over?" Vincent stepped ahead to talk to the woman who came out.

Lilac hair tumbling down her shoulders. Her viridescent eyes brimming with confidence and an aura of intimidation as she walked out.

As she talked to her son, she eyed Arius and straightened up before politely greeting him, "Greetings your highness. Are you here to see His Majesty?"

"Yes." Arius replied curtly.

"I believe his Majesty is free currently as I was supposedly the last audience he was conversing with."

"I see..." Arius stared intently at the woman from toe to head.

Even if they were discussing a potential war, would it take this long?!

Arius ignored his thoughts and marched inside the audience room leaving the two nobles behind.

-----

"Arius..." Claude spoke as he saw his son running up to the throne.

Arius walked up the few stairs and finally reached the throne. With a smile he greeted his father.

"Good Morning Dad!" He spread his arms wide around Claudes legs and hugged his legs.

Claude smiled slightly and picked him up. He began walking towards the emerald Palace while holding Arius.

"Is something wrong? Why did you visit me?"

"I just missed Dad!"

Claude paused for a moment and stared Arius dead in the eye. "Something did happen. What is it?"

"Why, Can't I miss you?"

"Why did you miss me? I only skipped breakfast. We would have had lunch together." Claude began walking again. Arius spread his arms around Claude's neck and buried his face in his arms.

I can't say I was worried he'd fall in love with a third woman. Even though it's true.

"I...had a nightmare. And I wanted to see dad..." Arius slightly rose his head to see Claude's expression.

"A nightmare? About what?" Claude placed a hand on the back of Arius's head and began caressing it.

Dad turning into a puppy. But I can't say that. BUT IT'S TRUE.

"Everyone...disappeared." Arius clenched further onto Claude's shoulder robes. Claude eyed his son as he continued stroking his head.

"Dad, Athy, Via, Felix, Lily and all of my friends... everything was gone... and I was alone...in a dark place. Trapped."

This, was truly a fear of his. What if one day he woke up back into his old life? What if this isnt actually a reincarnation and instead he's in a coma in the real world and is simply having a long dream about the last manga he was reading? He was never in the story. What if that comes true? A constant fear of his that existed.

If I ever end up going back to that dark, dark world?

Flashes from his past life,

His mother scolding him.

His father beating him.

Him being friendless.

All the sad and painful times flashing.

Then...what would I do...?

"ARIUS!" He flinched back to reality as he heard Claude call him.

"Huh-oh-Dad...wha..."

Tears dropped down from his face, without any hint of stopping. "I-uh...I'm fine really... " Arius tried to control his tears. "...Aha...I don't know why they won't stop..."

Geez why am I crying? Stop dammit. Stop.

"I won't disappear. I won't go away. I will stay with you, Arius. I...should've waited until you woke up and then leave." Claude began patting Arius's back and Arius felt a pang of guilt hit his chest.

It's not Claude's fault. Claude is already busy with his emperor work and yet he still spends almost half the day with his children. And now he's going to stay until his children wake up and deal with their mood swings as well? Arius didn't want to feel like a burden on Claude.

He quickly rubbed his eyes and tightly hugged Claude, which caught him by surprise.

"Dad, you're the best dad in the world! I love you!" Arius smiled at him.

Claude looked a bit surprise by the sudden swing of emotions, but replied anyways, "I love you too, Arius."

----

Claude delivered Arius to the Sapphire Palace and then headed back to his duties, promising to eat lunch together. And also telling Olivia to immediately report to Claude if Arius begins to cry or show any discomfort while sleeping.

Arius went back to Emerald Palace to see what Athanasia was up to and found her playing with Raven and Snow.

The two went on with their daily lessons and one new addition was Arius going to the library daily. He was never a lover of books but, apparently Athanasia was once caught reading a novel by Arius and the book piqued his interest, which lead to him reading the whole series and then wanting to read new books.

It was like reading mangas but in words instead of drawings. But he still enjoyed them. And with time he began enjoying reading textbooks as well.

The siblings spent their whole day as they normally would, but Arius borrowed a lot of books from the library and was mostly reading them in his garden or in other odd places.

.
.
.

Vote and Comment!