Ch 79 : Duke of the North

The royals arrived back to the Banquet Hall. Jennette and Athanasia walking side by side, while Arius and Claude walked ahead. Arius was beyond happy to see Athanasia being nice and friendly to Jennette, despite turning pale when the Duke had announced her existence.

This was definitely a very, very good day for him. Now that Jennette's matter was resolved or at least the first step to resolve it had been taken, Arius decided to actually enjoy the banquet now.

Meaning, he searched the room with his eyes for the Villareals. Since they would've been leaving soon, Arius wanted to spend time with them.

As he finally spotted Edwin, he was about to make his way towards him when he felt a glare on his back.

Arius turned to see Claude. "Going towards that girl?"

Arius almost, almost laughed out loud over that question. "The Villareals. " He managed to say while controlling his laughter.

Claude nodded in approval and so Arius marched towards his cousins.

The three of them engaged in all sorts of nonsensical discussions and then a series of questions.

Eventually Arius brought up the topic of their short stay.

"Can't you guys stay for a longer time? It's been so long since we've met."

Edwin and Edna shared a glance and Arius immediately knew they were hiding something.

"What." Arius asked.

"Elder sister needs to take care of something in the north. So after the banquet we'll prepare for going to the north."

"The north? Why?"

The north. . . where the Lennox are and 'a war with the Empire to the north.'

Edwin shrugged. "The Duke of the North's been acting suspicious. So we're going as spies of sorts."

Edna elbowed him immediately. "It was supposed to be a secret."

"Oh c'mon, we could tell from the way his expression changed from hearing about the north that he knows something."

"I'll keep it a secret jeez, tell me more."

"First you tell us what you know."

Arius gave them both a hesitant stare but ended up warning them about the Lennox and that if they are indeed going as spies, it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the lilacs.

And in return, Edwin began. "I've already told you the most of it. The Duke of the north is acting suspiciously. He's not even attending an important banquet such as this. And so, we've been sent to see what is going on in the northern sides. Since us Villareals aren't that well known to the nobles in Obelia, the emperor thought it best to send us. And we were interested in visiting the north as well. Since Feradona is a country with a rather high temperature."

Arius took a moment to process this information. He glanced around to the various nobles attending. The Duke of the north... Arius remembered reading about him, and seeing a picture. Truly he couldn't find the Duke within the hall.

But, another person did catch his eye, a count. One who, if Arius's memory served right, owned a small territory in the northeast. The man seemed to be half drunk, so Arius decided to see if the man held any information.

With a wink to the Villareals, he disappeared towards the man holding a champagne glass and speaking with a rather loud voice.

Count Fredrick.

"Good evening count, it seems the banquet is to your liking."

"Ah, Blessings and Glory upon the, the future sun of the Obelian Empire. Congratulations on your debut, Your Highness." The man spoke with a sluggish tone."This banquet is truly spectacular!" The man swung his glass around.