Ch 78 : Princess Jennette

The royals arrived at the audience hall, and they sat in their respective thrones.

The Duke entered without wasting a second, Jennette following behind him holding Ijekiel's hand.

"Your Majesty, I present to you. Princess Jennette de Alger Obelia." The Duke stepped aside.

Jennette slowly rose her head to face the same jeweled eyes which she was gifted with.

However the emperor's glare was enough to paralyze her and make her instantly keep her head down.

This was not what she had expected when she had dreamt of finally being reunited with her family. The way the emperor looked at her was not with affection or warmth, not the way he looked at the prince or princess, instead as if he was looking at something that annoyed him.

That cold glare of his, as if questioning her very existence.

"Sure, I can see from your eyes that you're of royal blood, then shall I perhaps gouge out those eyes?"

Jennette flinched from the harsh tone and words.

"Your Majesty! She is your daughter as we-" The Duke defended.

"Enough with this nonsense. What other proof do you have besides the eyes?"

"That..." The Duke began to think.

Meanwhile Claude glanced at his two children. Athanasia looked a bit pale, while Arius had a blank expression on his face.

"Father, perhaps we should first confirm with a magician whether the eyes are fabricated or not?" Arius suggested.

Claude seemed rather annoyed by the suggestion. He had no clue what was going on in his son's head. Regardless, he looked over at Athanasia, saw that she nodded in agreement and summoned Lucas immediately.

In less than a minute after Lucas's arrival, it was confirmed that Jennette definitely held royal blood and the eyes were real.

The expression on the Duke's face brightened as he looked at the emperor to hear his answer.

"If what the magician has stated is true and that girl is of royal blood. . ." Claude tested his chin on his right hand, ". . . then why are you telling me now?"

Claude's tone was fierce, cold, merciless. His eyes filled with rage. The emperor was mad. Mad at the Duke for what he had done. To have the audacity to approach his children and tell them about a possible other royal? How dare he approach his children with such nonsense? How dare he speak of a topic which the emperor had already wanted him not to speak of again? and to his children at that?

Arius and Athanasia could very well see their fathers mood. Athanasia seemed worried of the outcome of this audience, while Arius was wondering why his father was getting so angry.

"That's because it was in her mothers wish." The Duke spoke, as though he had prepared the lines.

"Before my cousin departed from this world, she made her final request that Princess Jennette enters the Palace when she turns of age, until then she was to reside with us." The Duke spoke as he was bowing. Ijekiel and Jennette had their heads low as well.

Claude continued glaring at them. Arius already knew the whole thing was a lie, and so did Athanasia. Penelope had no clue in the original story that she would die during childbirth. She had expected Jennette to be her gateway to the Palace, but with the twist in fate she died after giving birth to said gateway.

Arius looked at his father. He hadn't told Claude about anything. Not his plans or what he'd discussed with Athanasia. But he had expected Claude to allow Jennette's residence in the Palace with or without either of his children's consent or opinion.