Ch 57 : A Secret for a Secret (2)

"You both are half elfs, right?"

Athanasia who was sitting beside him went confused and Gunther who was standing beside the couch also looked at the prince with a questioning gaze.

The twins widened their eyes, Willow became pale while Winslow decomposed himself and spoke in the most calmest voice he could form "What makes you think that?"

"Vincent. He did full scale check of all of your backgrounds and gathered you there at the base."

The twins became silent. Winslow seemed to be thinking about something very deeply, so as to not notice his sister's hand creeping up his arm.

Elves were a dangered race and a hidden one. They remained deep in the eastern forests. Though, due to their rare appearances in human populated areas, many believed them to simply be a fairytale.

But two elves sat right in front of Arius. Half elves, half humans. The file Vincent gave Arius contained such information.

The elves were well known for two things, the first being their appearance. Pointed ears and light hair colors. Although Arius couldn't see the pointed ears of the twins, their pale blonde hair did fit. The second being, their magic. The elves were a race blessed with magic. Elemental Magic, specifically wind magic.

The elves were blessed with mana's blessing of wind. They could communicate with the wind, be one with it.

The file stated Willow having more elven abilities than Winslow, and thus the ability to use wind magic belonged to Willow.

The fact that she was able to navigate easily in the Auction House, the fact that they could gather information, and even infiltrate a high ranking noble's mansion and observe his actions.

Having wind magic would explain these things, which otherwise normal human children their ages wouldn't be able to do.

Arius gulped. Elves were not a welcome race among the humans, any elf sightings before had ended in Elf hunts. Due to the Elves magical capabilities, they were seen as a danger by the humans amongst whom magicians were rare.

The conflict between humans and elves has been going on for centuries, before the elves decided to go in hiding and becoming nothing more than a fairytale.

But Arius has two half elves sitting in front of him. Their existence being known is a threat to them, and to protect that information they could very much kill Arius as well.

Arius knew exactly how much he was risking when he spoke of the truth.

"A secret for a secret you say?" Winslow finally spoke.

"Yes, if you'd like we can sign a contract, sealed by magic. " Arius told the two.

"What is it you want from us?" Winslow asked.

"Keep my secret and I'll keep-"

"No, what are you really after?"

Arius smiled. "Willow, Winslow. As your friend, I honestly don't have any ill intentions, I just want you to keep my secret. But as a prince, I wish to use your abilities for my empire."

Athanasia looked at Arius, she was pretty confused with all these information dumps, she had no clue they were elves- heck elves were never mentioned in who made me a princess!

"You two have great stealth and potential to become spies. If I'm being honest, this was a test. I already knew most of the information except that visitor. That aside, you passed this test, and so now, I want you to become my eyes and ears. To serve me."

The twins were observing Arius's every move.

"And what If we say no?" A bead of sweat dropped from the side of Winslow's face as he asked.

Both sides were nervous. Meanwhile Athanasia decided to munch on the cookies and enjoy the conversation.

"Oh, well that's okay too." Arius spoke as he relaxed his shoulders and leaned on the couch.

The twins blinked baffled.

"As I said, those were my views as a prince, but first and foremost I'm your friend and if you don't want to then I'll respect your opinion. It's cool." Arius reached for a cookie and then his glass of juice.

The twins continued to stare at Arius with perplexed eyes.

"You should drink it while it's cool." Arius pointed out, and the twins hesitantly picked up their glasses of juice.

Winslow took a sip before asking,"So you're saying, that's all? I keep the hidden princess a secret and you keep our elven origins?"

"Yea, sounds fair, no? do you want another condition? Or wait I'll ask Via for a contract paper." Arius signaled Gunther, who went marching out.

Arius took another cookie and saw the twins unchanged expression.

"Were you expecting me for force you into working for me?" Arius asked.

"..." The twins remained quiet.

"Look you two. I value our friendship more than your abilities. I mean, if you did start working for me, I'd give you access to the imperial library and obviously you'd get paid. I won't ask you to kill anyone or do anything that you'd be against. I need your knowledge and tact, Winslow,  while I need your stealth skills, Willow. I'd really love if you'd help me, but if you don't want to that's totally fine." Arius elaborated.

The twins still seemed hesitant.

Well, Arius couldn't really say anything. Not everyone has a good impression of nobles and royals. In fact most see them as corrupt and greedy. And well, there was the slaves traders incident, which was set up by nobility for the the entertainment of nobility.

So their suspicion is well reasoned. But, there is another problem.

"Guys-"

"I trust you."

Arius was cut off by Willow.

"...sorry could you repeat that?" Arius asked as he chuckled. Willow looked towards Winslow and placed a hand on his arm.

"I trust you." She repeated.

The twins stared at each other for a moment before Winslow sighed and said,"If she does, then I do too."

Arius smiled brightly at the twins. "Thanks! Your secret is safe with me, don't worry." He reassured them.

"And as for your offer to work for you...I'll need some time to think."

"Oh sure. But, it's fine if you don't want to."

"Arius, Vincent told you this, right?"

Arius sighed, they shifted to informal meaning it's a casual talk between friends now.

"That's the problem. Look, I know you guys know him since long, but I just don't feel like we can trust him. He just gives me bad vibes."

"No, you're right."

"He's still in the capital I think. His mom knows it too I think."

"Okay then. We'll look into this." Winslow concluded. "We won't do anything, just a little observation. We can't do anything about the fact that they know it. First let's see who else knows."

Arius nodded.

The twins stood up, about to leave. "Oh and, do you want us to keep looking into Duke Alpheus? That visitor of his?"

"No, that's fine. Thank you for your work." Arius replied.

And with that the twins soon left, Gunther arriving just in time to escort them back. Arius placed the contract paper on his desk in case he might need it later.

Now all that's left was a very confused Athanasia glaring at her brother.

.
.
.
Vote and Comment!