Ch 54 : Arlanta

Ijekiel Alpheus.

Arius went to meet his friend, in the garden today. He strode through the rose filled garden. Everytime he came here he couldn't take his eyes off the beautiful flowers. Each one in a slightly different shade.

He was holding a chessboard in his arms as he walked to the marble roofed pergola. But as he saw Ijekiel sitting on the chairs in the pergola, there was a bandage on his cheek. The chess board fell to the ground and the pieces scattered.

"Who did this?" Arius marched to the bench and inspected the bandage covering the bluish bruise on his cheek.

"Eheh, Why don't you sit down first?" Ijekiel giggled.

----

Ijekiel went inside his father's study, fiddling with his hands.

"What is it?" Duke Alpheus asked, not bothering to look up to his son and focusing on the paperwork.

"Father, I don't want to go to Arlanta."

The Duke paused all he was doing and looked at his son. He sighed.

"Why not?"

"I don't want to go away from Obelia."

The Duke narrowed his eyes. "You were willing just a month ago."

"I decided that without thinking too much." Ijekiel placed a sheet of paper on the Duke's desk.

"What's this?"

"A list of Academies in Obelia. They're not as grand as Arlanta's Academy, but if I work hard enough the result would be as good."

The Duke stared intently at the list. Ijekiel was nervous as to whether his father would agree or not, but seeing as how he was actually looking at the list was definitely a good-

*Rip*

The Duke tore the paper in two. "You will go to Arlanta. No more discussion on this. Leave."

Ijekiel clenched his fists, when he saw his father returning to working on the paperwork.

"I'm only doing this to make it easier for you when you become Duke. Having a wide range of connections can be helpful."

"I can make connections in Obelia! I don't need to go all the way to Arlanta."

" Enough."

"I won't go. I've listened to you my whole life. Why won't you listen to me for once?" Ijekiel asked, trembling with frustration and anger.

*Slap*

"You are my successor. You cannot disobey me. You will go to Arlanta. And we will no longer discuss this matter. Now, leave."

-----

"So, you told your dad about you not wanting to go to Arlanta. And he..."

"He got mad, and we argued and this is the result. Hehe." Ijekiel chuckled as he caressed his hand over the bandage.

Arius observed the boy in front of him. He couldn't help but see a slight resemblance of his past self in him.

"Has the Duke ever raised his hand on you before?"

"..."

"So he has."

"That was just to discipline me. " Ijekiel added.

"You're defending him?"

"Your Highness, I know the kind of man father is. He cares about connections and power of the throne more than his family and friends."

"He has friends?"

"He cut them off, and turned the useful ones into business partners. For him everyone is a tool."

"I've seen people like him before."

in anime.

But this didn't make sense. Didn't the Duke really love his son in Who Made Me A Princess? So why is be acting like this here?

Arius looked at Ijekiel and felt bad. He was the one who initially told him to object this and he got hurt because of it. But, the Duke should really be killed for raising a hand on a child.

"I'm sorry Kiel."

"There's no need for you to apologize, Your highness." Ijekiel smiled sadly.

"What your father did was wrong. Even if he had different opinions. Even if he was trying to make your life easier for you. Hitting you is not necessary. "

Ijekiel stayed quiet.

"I've decided to go to Arlanta." Ijekiel spoke with finality in his voice.

"I'll study hard, make good connections. And then, I'll become the Duke. But I won't be like my father. Never."

Arius smiled at his friend.

"I should be thanking you Your Highness. I always believed my father was right. I always simply did as he said. But after spending time with you, I began to question him. I began to think for myself. Make my own decisions. And although my attempts were a failure, I'm still grateful to you since this incident helped me open my eyes a bit."

Okay, what. This isn't what I was intending for.

Arius looked at Ijekiel who looked like a puppy with sparkling eyes admiring Arius.

"...Well I'm glad I helped. When will you be leaving?"

"In a couple weeks."

"I see, and how long will you be there?"

"The Academy years last up to six years. We get holidays in between the years. I'll visit you when I'm here."

"I'll look forward to it."

"Then, should we play a game of chess?" Ijekiel asked as he viewed the pieces scattered on the ground.

"Hmph This time I'll beat you." Arius declared.

And the two friends then engaged in a match of chess.

----

Athanasia was currently on her way to the Garden to see her brother and sneak a glance at the male lead of Lovely Princess.

Lucas following her.

"Why are YOU following me?"

"I am your playmate."

"I said, I don't need one."

"That pet of yours which you can't get over, could've killed you."

Athanasia just hmphed and faced the other side.

Lucas groaned in annoyance as he walked in the garden looking for a ravenette.

.
.
.
Vote and Comment!

Edel-chan drew fanart of Arius.

And words cannot describe my happiness when I saw it

And words cannot describe my happiness when I saw it. I really love it. They even paid attention to details like the purple roses in the background and in his suit pocket. Thank you so much for drawing him, it makes me really glad!