Bonus 1| Reminiscing Between Us

Four years later~

I stared at the message on the screen, not believing my eyes.

In our high school friends group chat, Claire had messaged us after years.

Wanna go on that road trip someone suggested that day when we were still in high school?

My eyes watered from how much I was straining them in the darkness of my bedroom in order to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and it was actually really Claire who the message was from.

I reached out to Brian's side of the bed to ask him if I was seeing things but my hands met nothing but cold air and I was reminded that he wasn't there, that it had been this way for quite some time now. So why did I still reach for someone who wasn't with me?

Whatever surprised happiness I felt when Claire reached out to us fizzled out, leaving behind an empty shell where my heart was.

I looked back at her message and then scrolled up to previous chats, digging up memories in its wake.

When we first created the group chat, we had been so excited to keep in touch after high school and for days after that we had chatted non-stop about uni and how we were adjusting, cracking inside jokes, reminiscing fond memories and teasing each other.

Every one was there, except Jake for it had been months before that he had passed away, still alive in our brightest memories of him, where he would continue to remain until we're reunited with him again.

And although alive, Claire never replied to us...until now.

Five minutes after she had texted us in the dead of the night, replies popped up. Josh, Sam, Darren, Tyler all poured in their surprise and relief at getting her message and readily agreeing to the plan.

Only Brian would never reply.

I sent in a simple 'sure' amidst everyone's excitement. Claire only replied back with an 'okay' and for us to meet at some diner near our school this Sunday night at nine.

It was a little sudden but my schedule could be managed. It had been years since I had talked to Claire. Initially after I got into uni, I tried to keep in touch with her but she would never pick up my calls. I knew she was struggling after Jake but I couldn't do anything about it if I was halfway across the country and she wouldn't even talk to me. After a few months...I just gave up. I stopped calling her. I stopped trying.

And after all these years, I was finally going to see her and not only her. I was going to see my other friends. Josh, Tyler, Darren and Sam. I wondered what they all looked like now. Of course I knew from the pictures they posted but seeing them in person was totally different.

Except Claire. She didn't have any social media, nothing where I could see how she'd grown up. I still imagined her to look like how she did seven years ago. Now her at twenty-five, I wasn't sure I was ready to face her.

The next day, I called my personal assistant and told her to clear up the next week. I wasn't sure how long this road trip would be but I wanted it to go on for as long as it could.

My PA was surprised at my sudden plans and rushed to postpone meetings that fell in that week. She would have a lot of work to do in my absence but it was precisely why I hired her. I knew she'd manage it.

For the next few days I handled urgent matters, reviewed contracts in progress and looked over at the month's profit data.

I had revived my dad's company. It was hard to get it standing after it had collapsed for fifteen years after his death but I had wanted to continue it as a tribute to him. He had loved this company dearly and had given his blood, sweat and tears into it.

I wasn't going to let it be for nothing. I was sure he was proud of me and watching over me as I protected what was his and make it reach where it rightfully belonged. As the CEO, I thought I did a good job of it because presently it was having a successful business.

It was big enough that almost everyone in the technical field knew its name and I appeared in the business papers at least once every two weeks. It had been easy for me. My dad's old friends and colleagues had helped me, had wanted to help preserve the last remaining memory of their friend and I was so grateful to them, and happy that my dad had so many amazing friends in his life.

And now I was going to meet my own friends after so long. I was going to hug every one of them so tightly, I'd break a few of their bones.

We had a short discussion on where we'd go and I wasn't particularly concerned about our journey or our destination, as long as I was with my best friends.

That Sunday, I spent the whole day packing things I'd need and when the time came to go to that diner, I was trembling with nerves.

I wasn't sure if Claire and I were okay. After I stopped trying, she must have felt lonely and I hadn't bothered much to check on her after that. She must resent me for it. I was going to ask for her forgiveness, for being a shitty friend and leaving her behind during a difficult time in her life.

I arrived first. I was early by fifteen minutes. I prayed that the first one to arrive after me wouldn't be Claire but it was exactly what the universe wanted because when the diner door opened, I saw Claire. My best friend.

For a moment I couldn't breathe. I wasn't sure if she was my Claire for she looked older than what twenty-five should look on her.

She met my gaze and slowly walked to my table. When she sat down in front me, I couldn't speak because there was a painful knot at the back of my throat that seemed to be the only thing reining in my tears.

I opened my mouth but she beat me to it when she blurted out, "I'm sorry to hear about Brian."