29| Distrust Between Us

29. Distrust Between Us

"Never leave the person that understands you the most."

•°•°•

Claire had told me this would happen. And now it finally did happen. I wasn't ready for it though, it was not something you'd want to hear first thing on a Monday morning when you were still groggy and sleepy.

But now I was fully awake. Thanks to Darren.

"Y-Yes," I stuttered the words out and Darren's face broke out into a Cheshire cat grin. I tried grinning back at him but I couldn't because I wasn't as happy about it, so it turned out looking like a weird smirk. I reassembled my facial features and put up a short smile.

"You would?" Darren asked again.

I nodded at him.

"I love you so much, Brooke. I swear you won't regret it. I'll make sure of that."

The first sentence stung. It felt wrong. I was going to hurt him. And that would hurt me. That would hurt Brian too. And Gemma, well I think she would be hurt too.

"Okay, so today at eight o'clock, I'll pick you up. I know this is a little weird as you're already my girlfriend even though we haven't been on a single date so tonight is our first one," Darren said excitedly.

I nodded again. I didn't want to do this. But I already said yes. So I didn't think I had another choice.

Shut up, Brooke. It was not that big of a deal. Just one freaking night and it would be over. Maybe, it would even be fun.

Fun, yeah right.

"I should go to class now," I said as I slammed my locker shut.

"Okay, see you later," Darren said, leaving my hand which he had been holding.

"Bye," I muttered.

He winked at me before walking away for his next class.

I walked to Biology, all the way thinking about what would happen today after school. I was nervous. I mean it was my first time and I didn't know what I would do. I should just be myself and everything would be okay.

I sat beside Claire. She looked up from her book she was scribbling on and smiled at me. I smiled back at her.

"Today is my first date," I blurted out of nowhere. The scribbling stopped and I felt a hand grip my shoulder. I looked over at Claire.

"What?! Seriously? Darren finally asked you out on a date?" Claire asked, excitement as transparent as water, in her eyes.

"Yeah," I said, cupping my chin in my right hand. "He did."

"And what did you say to him?"

"I said yes."

She frowned, "He didn't tell me. Does he think he can arrange a date more romantic than one arranged by me?" Claire said, pouting in the end. "He's an idiot. He should have told me. I'm your best friend so obviously I know about you more than any of your other friends."

"Claire, can you please stop talking? You are making it impossible for me to think straight."

"Whatever. Tell me what are you going to wear on the first date of your life?"