23| Boyfriend Between Us

23. Boyfriend Between Us

"Now that I have made a terrible mistake, I don't have the courage to correct it."

•°•°•

I tapped my fingers on the desk in a beat. I didn't know what to do.

It was the last class of the day and I could think of nothing but how to get a freaking boyfriend in a day.

I shouldn't have done what I did.

I left the tapping and put my fingers in my mouth, biting down on my nails.

What are my options?

A. Accept that I can't have a boyfriend. No way in hell will I do that.

B. Find someone who can actually bear to be my boyfriend. Hardest task ever.

C. Date Darren. Not a bad idea but I'll do that if I have no choice. And for even thinking that, I feel truly horrible.

At least I have the last option if I didn't find someone else.

I looked around the class. All the boys were either nerdy, studios and single or hot, smart and taken. Even the cute ones were taken.

Maybe I wouldn't get anyone after all. Brian was right. I just didn't have the guts to go and tell a boy that I like him.

The class ended and I didn't look for more boys. I made my way to my car. I stopped in my tracks as I saw Darren leaning over my car, his eyes fixed on me with a desperate look in his eyes.

Further away in the parking lot, I saw Gemma who was perched up on Brian's bike. Her eyes were darting from corner to corner as if she was looking for someone. Definitely Brian.

I shifted my eyes to Darren again. His lower lip had disappeared between his teeth and he was still staring at me. I started walking in his direction again.

At that precise moment, from the corner of my eyes I saw Brian exit the school building. One of the straps of his bag was resting on his shoulder and he ran a hand through his hair as he laid his eyes on me.

By the time I had reached my car and was stood in front of Darren, my eyes occasionally drifting behind him towards Brian and Gemma.

"Hey," Darren's voice was low and clear. I easily caught the and nervousness leaking from his tone.

"Hi, Darren," I greeted him and watched as he shoved his hands deep in the pockets of his jeans.

"How are you?" He asked and I looked confusedly at him. Maybe he just wanted a conversation starter.

"I'm good. You? You didn't get a hangover, did you?"

He winced. "Yeah, no I didn't."

I nodded. An uncomfortable silence enveloped between us and my eyes flickered towards Brian's direction. He had already reached Gemma. They were away from earshot so I couldn't hear what they were talking about.

"I-I wanted to talk to you...about that day." I turned my attention back to Darren.

"What about it?"

"I didn't do something to you, did I?" He asked, his eyebrows raised as if he was too scared to know the answer.

I cleared my throat. "Well, you did try to kiss me that night."