13| Past Between Us

13. Past Between Us

"Past is a place of reference, not a place of residence."

•°•°•

We sat there for a while, not talking. Just staring at the sea before us.

Darren and Sam were back and were playing in the water. Claire was learning how to surf. Jake was teaching her. They looked cute together. Josh and Tyler were also surfing.

"Aren't you going in the water?" Brian asked me a few minutes later.

"Not now." I said. We had finished our coconut water and now the coconuts were resting between us.

He nodded and got up, dusting off sand on his jeans. Was he going?

"Want to take a walk along the beach?" He asked and extended his hand for me to take.

I took his hand as he helped me up. His warm hand sent tingles down my spine which I tried to ignore.

We started walking along the beach. Not many people were there. This beach was never crowded. Though it was a beautiful beach with a beautiful view of the sea, it still remained mostly deserted.

"What happened, Brooke?" Brian asked, his face turned in my direction.

"What?"

"You are so quite today. Is something bothering you?"

"No," I said.

"You don't know how to lie. So stop trying," He said with a smile.

"I said it's nothing," I said, hoping he wouldn't question further. He didn't answer me and we continued walking.

"Brooke, please tell me," he insisted. Why does he never listen to me?

"Desperate to know, are we?"

He shrugged, "I'm just curious."

"Why do you want to know?" What was he going to do about it? He can't make things right.

He shrugged again, "Got nothing else to do. What are you upset about?"

"I am not upset. What were you saying that night about your mom?" I asked. If he could question me on things I don't want to talk about, then I definitely can do the same to him too.

He raised his eyebrows at me. "I didn't ask you a personal question."

"But the answer is personal."

"You want to talk about it?"

"You want to tell me about your mom?"

He sighed, "Brooke."

"Brian," I said in the same tone in which he had said my name.

"I can't."

"Exactly. I can't," I replied smartly.

He didn't say anything.

"Don't you trust me?" He asked after a while.

"Nope. Not after you broke into my house even after I told you not to."

He smirked.

"But it was you who inv-"

"Don't say it was me who asked you to come. Both of us know that you came even after I told you not to."