17| Change Between Us

17. Change Between Us

"Change will feel how we want it to be felt."

•°•°•

Brooke's POV:

I didn't know what was going on anymore. Everything had changed. But for the worse.

Last week was surreal. It was the best week of my life. And then suddenly, everything changed abruptly. It became a nightmare.

What? How? Why? When?

The questions jumped in my mind like freaking kangaroos. But there was no one to answer them.

It had been a week since it happened. The ignorance, the kiss, Jake's face when Claire slapped him. Everything seemed like a very bad dream that shouldn't ever come true. Did it really happen?

I wanted someone to tell me it was just a dream. I didn't want this.

For seven days I saw a Jake who was not his usual self and even Claire had changed. It was surprising how seven days can change things rapidly.

I saw Jake staring at Claire sometimes. I saw Claire staring at Jake sometimes. But they didn't talk at all. They were acting like they didn't know each other. And it didn't feel right.

I watched Claire with Jesse, the jerk who treats her like shit. I saw her smile at him. And she didn't even spare me, her best friend a single glance. She seemed distant. I'm convinced now that she has the Frog Prince Syndrome.

I sighed, circling the circumference of my coffee cup with the tip of my finger. I was sitting with the boys. Without Claire.

It was not like I chose not to sit with her. It was just that she chose to sit with Jesse rather than us.

I felt like I lost my friend to Jesse. What had he done to her?

"Brooke? Are you alright?" I heard Brian ask me. I looked up at him and he stared back.

"I think so," I said.

He placed a hand on my shoulder. "I know you are upset about Claire. But don't worry, everything will be fine. I think she just needs time." It won't be alright anymore.

But I nodded anyways and smiled at him.

"How is Jake?" I asked him, nodding at Jake who was sat opposite of me.

"He's good. Was broken hearted for sometime but I guess he's better," I nodded again. "You know he still loves her."

"I hope Claire stops being stupid and finally realises that she loves him too. I know she does." I sighed, my gaze drifting to Claire who was in the middle of a heavy make out session with Jesse. I grimaced and looked away.

"Yeah. I hope so too."

I took a bite of my sandwich. Brian turned back to the conversation he was having with Sam and Josh.

"Hey!" Gemma's all too familiar voice reached my ears. I groaned silently as she slid into the seat between me and Brian. I didn't know why but I really didn't like her for some reason. And why did she have to sit beside me? If she was chasing Brian, she might as well sit on his lap. She was extremely annoying and really couldn't shut up at all.

She sat with us everyday in Claire's seat and talked to us, well more specifically to Brian.

I watched them as she talked to Brian. That was what she did every time she sat with us. She was wearing a pretty red skirt that reached a bit above her knees and a plain cream coloured shirt. And I hate to admit it but she looked really good.