7| Texts Between Us

7. Texts Between Us

"Some people just act like they want to be your friend."

•°•°•

I sat at our now crowded lunch table with Claire. Brian, Jake and Sam were sitting with us, as expected. Beside them were Darren, Tyler and Josh, Claire and I. And unfortunately, Brian again sat beside me. I was beginning to think that it was going to continue like this till the end of school year.

Claire was there chatting with Jake who couldn't keep his eyes off of her. And I didn't know when but suddenly Josh, Darren and Sam were best friends!

Brian didn't join in their conversation and neither did I. Which left us both to face each other.

I didn't know why but he irritated the hell out of me. Also I didn't miss the glares the girls at our school gave us when the trio sat at our table.

"Hey, what about our beach trip?" Darren asked.

"Oh, yeah. When are we going?" I asked.

"What beach trip?" Brian butted in.

"We had planned to go to the beach on a weekend, like a few weeks ago. But it never happened," Claire said, sipping on her soft drink.

"We can do it now," Brian said excitedly.

"Of course we will. But I don't think that 'we' also include you," I said.

"Brooke, come on. Of course, they can come," Claire said, obviously wanting Jake on the trip.

"No they can't."

"Please," She pleaded.

"That's it! I am out of the trip." I said stubbornly. No way was I going on a trip where the three were present. I didn't have a problem with the two. I have a problem with one of them.

Brian smirked at me.

"What?" I asked.

He shook his head and looked at everyone, "That saves us a seat. It's good that she's not coming."

"What?" I asked again. "Um...who said I was not coming? You are not coming! Claire, he will not come with us!" I stated, shifting my gaze to Claire.

Claire gave me a
I-can't-help-you-you-have-no-choice look.

I sighed, "I guess what I want won't happen."

"You are coming, right?" Claire asked as if I would really ditch the beach just because Brian was there.

"Of course," I said.

"Good. So when are we going?"

"How about this weekend? On Saturday?" Darren asked.

"That's right. We should go this weekend," Claire said.

"So everybody's coming?"

"Yes!" Everyone said in unison, except me. I just sulked about my beach trip getting ruined by the three. Particularly by one of the three.

We discussed the things we would be needing on the trip until the bell rang signalling the end of lunch break.

I went to my locker to get the books of the next lecture and walked to my class.

"Hey! You are Brooke, right?" A voice said from behind me and I turned around to see who it was.

I saw Gemma smiling at me as she made her way towards me. She had a big smile on her face which looked more of a creepy grin.