36| A Nightmare Between Us

36. Nightmare Between Us

"How do you wake up from a nightmare when you're not asleep?"

•°•°•

My eyes shot open and the first thing I saw was white. Blinding white. I quickly closed my eyes and opened them slowly to adjust to the bright light.

I looked around for anything familiar, but there was nothing but white. I was wearing a white dress, I was sitting on a white bed, the curtains were white, the fan whirling above was white, the tables and cabinets were white too. There was too much white in this room.

I moved my left hand to my face, rubbing it, acutely aware of a crick in my neck. I hissed when I felt a sharp pain when I tried to turn my head to the side.

As I tried to move my right hand, I felt something holding it back. My eyes fell upon a hand in my own. It was Claire. She had her hand in my hand, resting her forehead on our hands.

"Claire," I called, my voice sounding a bit hoarse and rough. She lifted her head from her hands and I cringed at the sight of her face. Her eyes were red and dried tear marks were on her cheeks. It was clear she had cried a lot. Her lips were chapped and her skin was pale, as if she was about to pass out. Her hair was messy and looked like it hadn't been combed for a few days. She looked like a mess.

"Are you okay?" She asked, her eyelids appearing heavy as if she hadn't slept for a few days.

"I'm okay. How is Brian? And Jake?" I asked, too afraid to hear the answer.

She looked down at our hands. "I don't know."

"How long have I been out?"

Claire shrugged, "A couple of hours, I guess."

I got up from the hard and uncomfortable hospital bed, "I need to know how they are." I said, as I grabbed the clothes which were lying on top of the table. I quickly slipped into my clothes. I checked the time. It was 6:07 in the morning​. My mom would still be asleep. However, I was wrong because when I checked my phone, I had twenty eight missed calls and fourteen text messages, all from mom in between two to six in the morning. Gosh, didn't she sleep at all? I had seven missed calls and one text message from Ryan.

I quickly scanned the texts, they were nearly the same, asking me to call them back as soon as possible, what I was doing at the dead of the night, where I was and what was taking me so long to reply.

I sent a simple text to mom.

I'm in the hospital. Two of my friends are not okay. But now everything's fine. Long story, will tell you sometime. Get some rest, I'm fine. Love you xx

I sent a text to Ryan too.

I'm fine, two of my friends are in the hospital. Everything's fine. Don't worry. Take care of mom. All the best for the football match. I'm sorry I can't make it to your match xx

We walked out of the room. There was a long hallway with rooms adjacent to each other. The hospital smells were starting to give me a headache and I thought I would nearly throw up. There were a few seats lined opposite every room.