19| Friday Fun Between Us

19. Friday Fun Day Between Us

"No matter how old she may be, sometimes a girl just needs her mom."

•°•°•

Today was Friday and this was the day of the week that mom and I had what we called 'Friday Fun Day'. This was a thing that mom and I did every Friday if we were free. Ryan never joined us on our Friday fun days because he thought that we do only 'girly' stuff on that day. So he just spends the day at his friend's house and returns late at night. He actually was rarely at home. He was either at school after classes to do football practice or at a friend's house doing God knows what. But of course, he had strict warnings to not to indulge in...inappropriate activities like sleeping with someone, drinking or smoking. He was just sixteen. Okay, okay turning seventeen in a week but still it didn't mean that he was allowed to do anything of that sort.

So it was our Friday fun day as usual. We weren't able to do this thing for a few weeks now because we were so busy. After my hasty exit from school I had gone straight home. Ryan was leaving for his friend's house.

"Hey," I greeted as I walked past by him on my way inside the house.

"Hey sis. Give me your car keys," He said urgently.

"What? Why?" I frowned at him. No way was I going to give him my car keys.

"I asked mom's permission so give it to me."

"Isn't Brody going to pick you up?" Ryan always went to Brody's house on our Friday fun days.

"No. I'm not going at Brody's. I'm going to Shane's place."

"Oh," I said as I reluctantly gave the car keys to him.

"I'll be home at around eleven."

"Okay. No drinking, no smoking and no slee-"

"Yeah okay, okay. I know that. I won't do anything. Jeez, girls are such control freaks. You don't let me do anything exciting!" Ryan whined.

"We don't let you do anything dangerous and stupid," I corrected him.

He rolled his eyes at me.

I watched him pull out of the driveway. After he was gone, I walked inside the house.

I went to my room and put my bag on my bed. I went to the bathroom and splashed cold water on my face.

As I dried my face with a towel, I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

I had brown eyes and black hair, unlike Gemma's who had blonde hair with some purple highlights and green eyes. She was pretty, I knew it but I wasn't. Of course I wasn't. I could be compared to a potato and the potato would be more good looking than me. Gemma was also thinner than me. It was not like I was fat or anything but-

Jeez why was I comparing myself to Gemma?

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and put the towel in it's place. I climbed down the stairs to meet mom.

"Hey mom," I greeted as soon as I saw her in the kitchen. "What're you doing?"

"Baking."

I nodded. My mom had a big fascination with cooking and especially baking. I remember when I was little and dad was still alive, she tried out a new recipe every Sunday and my dad was the guinea pig. Not all of the dishes that mom prepared were...edible. But some of them were really good. Especially the baked ones. Her baked goodies were always the best and famous in our family. I smiled at the memories.