Chapter-10

"Don't wait up for me, I'm going to Giada's!" I yelled grabbing my bag as as walked out the front door.

It was Friday at last, the three of us had decided to stay in, drink wine and talk shit. It reminded me a lot of the time we were in highschool, out of the huge friend group Matteo was part of and I was dragged along, Giada had always been the closest to me.

She understood my reserved nature, so many times during group outings Matteo, she and I would leave early and just hang out at either of our houses. It was almost always Matteo's house because his older brothers and sisters were really entertaining.

I was greeted Matteo at the door, Giada was adding "final touches" to our meal. I gave him the bottle of wine I brought as a gift, turns out Giada has been gathering a stash for today.

"What's cooking good looking?" I smiled sliding into the kitchen.

"As smooth as ever!" She laughed looking over the pot, "Spaghetti carbonara, because who doesn't love some cheese?"

We ate, gossiped, drank and then drank some more. I was planning to drink just enough to get warm and fuzzy, but that's impossible on Matteo's watch. The three of us were now dancing and humming along to the music, I felt bad for her neighbours but oh well, clubs here were expensive.

On our 20th singalong, Giada got a phone call. Everything went still for a moment, it looked like it was from an unknown caller, she excused herself to go pick it up.

With every passing minute on the call, she looked more worried. Her eyebrows were frowning and her her smile has been wiped off her face, she quickly walked in and said that we were going to have another guest.

"Who is it?" Matteo asked over the blaring music.

"Maybe we should turn down the music." I quickly switched off the speakers. "Is everything alright? You looked very worried."

"It was strange, I haven't spoken to her in years. And yet when things go wrong with him I was the first person she called." Giada plopped herself on the sofa.

"Who? What? Gigi give me something to work with!" Matteo asked taking a seat.

She was stringing words together that made no sense, I decided to get her some water. Just then I heard knocks on the door. Matteo answered it, he looked at the girl in confusion before letting her in.

Her face looked quite familiar, I was certain we went to the same school. She was possibly one of our juniors, Matteo recognised her too. She was definitely part of that larger friend group I have little to no recollection of.

I stood there in the kitchen, observing what was going on. She had bags under her eyes, her mascara was running down her face. She looked like she had been crying for a while, hours possibly.

"He left me." She wept, hiding her face in her hands.

Giada walked up to her, took her by the arms and gave her a big hug. She consoled her wordlessly while the other girl continued weeping in her arms.

"Let it all out Charlotte, it's the only way you'll feel better." She stroked her head.

Charlotte. It all clicked, this was indeed Giada's ex best friend. This was the girl Charles had broken Giada's heart, only to leave her in the exact same state.

Thought Gigi was happy and thriving now, it had been years after all hadn't it? Well for the young woman weeping her eyes out right now? It's going to take a while but she'll get past him too right?

Matteo took the glass of water out of my hand and hurried to where the two of them were sitting, I was a little relieved that I wouldn't have to face a crying stranger. I could just continue listening to her story, from the comfortable distance of being in the kitchen.

"I'm sorry this must be so awkward for you-"

"It's fine, I'm just surprised I was the first person you called."

"You're the only person I'm comfortable being around when heartbreak arrives." She had cheered up a little.

"What happened?"

"He told me that he met someone else-" she burst into tears, "and... and it was unfair to me. It was unfair to me that he lied about still loving me so he decided to end things before they got worse."

Damn. He really thought the "unfair to you" was damage control to what a jerk he had just been, I wanted to hear more but from the luxury of not having to console a crying person.

"Did you ask him more questions?"

"Of course I did! I asked him when and where he met this someone else."

"And what did he say?"

"He said that he met her in Cannes, but he's known her way before that."

"Cannes? I'm guessing it's probably a star. Don't worry Charlotte, you're attractive, smart and brilliant. You'll be fine without him."

"I feel like I know who she is."

"Who do you think it is?"

"It has to be someone who lives here. There had been videos of him and some girl in his car, he was late to our dinner date that day."

"In his car!?"

"Not that way! First he climbs the steps with some other woman, and then I find this video of him with some other girl-"

"Did he explain himself?"

"He said he was helping her sort something out, she was the reason he was late. I'm very certain it's her. She's the one who snatched him away from me."

Was he supposed to be meeting her a few days ago? When he helped me out with getting stuff delivered. Was I the someone he met in Cannes? I had so many questions and conclusions running through my head, there was no way I could walk into the living room right now.

Not when his girlfriend, well now ex was crying her eyes out. For a second I considered scaling down through the windows of the kitchen, but she lived on the fourth floor and the height was intimidating.

Teo walked back into the kitchen, he noticed I was frowning and asked what was going on in my head. I told him there was a lot to unpack here, but right now wasn't the right time or right place.

"Giada is busy talking to Charlotte, we have all the time in this world." He urged me to start speaking.

"I never told you about my little fun day in Cannes did I?"

"No you didn't."

"So after the film festival, the next morning I went to Martinez for breakfast. And I ran into him again."

"Who is him? Please specify."

"Charles." I sighed.

"Oh." He raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"And we spent basically the whole morning and afternoon watching movies and exploring beaches."

"Wait!" He exclaimed. "Are you..."

"Please don't say it I'm praying I'm not."

"You are the girl he met in Cannes." He finished his sentence anyway.

"This is all a mess!" I collapsed onto the floor, "I don't like what I've gotten myself into."

"Are you seeing him? Like are you both sneaking around?"

"No!" I frowned.

"Then you have nothing to feel guilty about." He gave me his hand, "Now get off the floor!"