Chapter-39

The days we spent together did fly by, we didn't go on fancy dates, we did rather simple things that he liked without attracting attention. He liked being able to just walk around the streets, holding my hand without being asked for photographs.

I knew it wasn't goodbye forever, but driving Charles to the airport did sting a little bit. He didn't exactly look very thrilled either, he wasn't looking forward to the hours he was about to spend on an aircraft.

"I used to do this so easily last year, I could leave places. You make me homesick for cities by just existing there." He sighed.

I was blushing so bright right now, I kissed him goodbye and headed home. Well to my parents' house, I hadn't heard from my mother since lunch with Charles. Certain she had a lot to say, I drove my car towards those familiar streets.

Sofu was sitting in the garden when I arrived, I asked him how he was doing and walked into the house. I found my mother in the middle of redecorating the living room, she was deciding on what artwork to hang up.

"Put up that one, I had Baba set it aside for you it's time people see it!" I said.

"You're here!" She turned around. "You're right." She said looking at the painting.

"So, what's your verdict?" I asked plopping myself on the couch.

"Verdict?" She asked taking a seat next to me.

"Do you like him or not?" I asked.

"Him who?" I knew at this point she was messing at me.

"Charles, my boyfriend? The sweet boy that flew to Australia this morning."

"Ah him!" She grinned.

"I like him! He's so bright." Sofu chimed in.

"I agree, he's got a spark to him." She said.

"What about dad?"

"Dad likes him, but he thinks his career path is unusual." Mom sighed.

"Well it's part of him, it's what he devoted his whole life to it and it's what brings him a lot of joy." I said.

"Does it not scare you?" She asked.

"Why would it scare me?"

"It is a dangerous sport, the speed and everything."

"They have a lot of safety features on their cars and tracks mom, it makes sure racing happens as safely as possible." I answered, trying to rationalise the new fear she had sown in my head.

The best thing about my job was that I could do it anywhere, I reviewed the final script of the last season of my show sitting in my mother's living room, ate lunch and headed home.

It had been a while since I properly talked to Matteo, he was equally busy working at the restaurant. I sent him a text asking how he was doing, it had been a while. Instantly, I had a reply.

Teo: I'm good! How are you doing?

You: I am doing great! What are you up to?

Teo: leaving home in a few hours, I've been assigned to the evening shift this week I miss my breakfast and lunch customers they're so normal 😭

You: I think I missed something

Teo: The dinner guests always either get too drunk and create a scene or are just a menace to cook for in general. Money will do that to you 🤦‍♂️

Teo: what are you up to?

You: Got back home from my mother's place just in time for dinner 💀 guess who's eating instant noodles again!

Teo: oooh busy woman

You: not exactly, spent my morning dropping Charles off at the airport, went to my mother's house and just stayed there and finally got home.

Teo: Weren't you with him like just last week?

You: well, I woke up to people saying horrible shit about me so I fled, crying and it didn't sit right with him

You: So he surprised me by coming to Osaka and we spent days just walking around and eating all kinds of food :))

Teo: that sounds so sweet!

You: There was also this awkward bit where my mother straight up asked him to have lunch with us

Teo: 😳😬

Teo: how did that go?

You: Surprisingly well, he praised everyone and they were sold. My grandad already loves him, mom is almost team Charles too but my dad doesn't approve of his career :/

Teo: Uhm 😐 it's literally part of his appeal!

You: well I mean yes, but like it's literally his passion! How can I say, yeah so my dad doesn't like your career can you just throw away all those years of hard work 🥺🥺🥺

Teo: 😭😭😭😭 YOURE SO FUNNY

Teo: If you do really like him, approval shouldn't really matter

You: Like? I'm in love with this boy and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's just frustrating why can't my dad just like the first and probably only boy I'll ever like?

Teo: 👀👀👀👀 you're in loooovvveeee

Teo: parents are weird they have high standards but like I don't understand what box he's not checking off?

Teo: Well mannered
Respectful
Handsome
Has a stable income (HE'S LOADED🤑 )
A good family ( good? They're like the sweetest people ever)

You: I'm just in so much confusion, enough about me! What have you been up to?

Teo: apart from the restaurant, stuff has been really mundane I went out for lunch with Giada a couple of days ago.

You: That's nice! How did that go?

Teo: it was nice, she didn't want to say she missed you but she sure did ask a lot about how you're doing and what you're up to

You: I'm going to cry now :/

Teo: please don't! Also, in other news I know Kenji should be the one to tell you but I have a big mouth and I will run it

Teo: okay so basically I was walking back home with Marco, long shopping spree and guess who he was walking with?

You: oh my god wait! Happy belated birthday to Marco, I can't wrap my head around the fact kids grow?? how is your little brother 18 this year???

Teo: Nor can I like what!? Anyway, he was walking hand in hand with Laura!

You: OMG HE MANAGED TO NOT GET FIRED AND DATE HER???

Teo: you didn't hear that here, in case you discuss things with him

You: Yes, yes of course.

Teo: i gotta go now, I'll be calling you up this weekend it's been ages!

You: It has! I've gotta lot to share!

It was time to make a bowl of instant noodles, I decided to call up Kenji but then realised he was probably at work. It had been ages since I had checked in on Baba, I called her up.

We talked for a while just about things in general, how she was doing, when she was planning to open her shop again and how living with Kenji had been so far.

She asked me about my life and then I told her about the directing gig, she was so happy I could almost envision the proud smile on her face as she spoke. She asked about when I'd start shooting, I told her that we were going to start scouting locations so hopefully really soon.

A part of me just wanted to shoot the entire movie in Monaco, because that's where it happened. Even if Vanessa was being generous with the movie budget, I don't think she was going to be 'flying a crew of more than 50 people to Monaco' generous.