Chapter-42

It had been roughly over a month now, I had spent all my time on the locations in Nice. It was so nice to finally meet the actors that were going to bring the story to life, Mika, who was going to be playing the character based on me was smart. She figured out pretty quickly that Aiko, was actually me- Emiko.

Laurent, who played Chance- based on Charles was a quick learner, he did his homework sincerely and had learnt to play his mannerisms so well. Sometimes when I reviewed clips, it felt like I had gone back in time and was watching everything unfold all over again.

The first few days were a mess, I genuinely felt intimidated by the amount of authority and responsibility I had over everything. I made the calls, be it the lighting, the cameras, everything! I was glad to be working with a great team who were more than happy to teach me things as we progressed.

In a week, I had basic understanding of the jargon and knew what I needed to tell them in order to capture the perfect frame. Vanessa would often call to ask me how the day at shoot had been, I was more than happy to give her an honest report of things.

"We're running on time so far." The manager reported to me.

"Yes we are! Does spending the weekend off cost us anything?" I asked him.

"We always account for days that could be disrupted so it's not that expensive. Are you planning to take a break this weekend?" He asked.

"Well, I'd like for everyone to be relaxed this weekend, it's time for the Monaco Grand Prix..."

"Girlfriend of a driver duties is it?" He laughed.

"Hey! I'm offering everyone a weekend off." I frowned.

"Thank you for the offer but no, we'll take the weekend to shoot all the promotional content." He said, "And no, you don't have to be here Lea can take care of things."

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Emiko leave before I change my mind!" He laughed.

"Okay Jack, I'm going away!" I waved goodbye.

I got into my car, of course a vintage rental because I love being cliché, the drive to Monaco was fun to say the least. There were so many people on their way to the little principality before it shut it roads for the Grand Prix. It was a nice sunny Thursday, the place was painted red with Ferrari flags everywhere, a banner or poster with words of encouragement for Charles and pretty much every billboard covered with his face.

I couldn't wait to see him and the proud smile he wore, I wondered how he was feeling. Monaco was his home, he loved this place with his whole heart. Their car had been so competitive so far, I knew he felt a lot of pressure on his shoulders, it amazed me how he never let it get to him.

I pulled onto the street with Baba's house, I could see that Kenji had just gotten home from work, I honked at him so that he'd leave the gate open for me. But almost like it was his instinct, up went his middle finger and out came the colourful words.

"This is why our neighbours don't like you!" I heard Baba yell.

"Oh my god it's Emi!" He smiled, "how are you doing loser?" He leaned on the car.

"I'm not disappointing Baba everyday so, as great as one can be!" I took a jab at him.

"Get back into your Barbie car and leave!" He huffed.

"More about you, a little birdie told me you're dating your boss now." I smirked.

"Let's talk inside." He opened the door for me.

I was greeted with a big hug by Baba, she said that dinner would be ready in a bit, but first all of us had to sit down and relax. Kenji excused himself to go freshen up, I took this time to ready my room and talk to Baba about how she was doing. The last time we met she was clearly going through emotions she had suppressed.

"Now don't you laugh at me but I'm seeing a therapist now." She said with a tone of shame.

"I'm happy for you! That's great!"

"I didn't want to go but Kenji consoled me to go and it's nice. I like having someone to talk to as I paint."

"Kenji did something clever? And unique?"

"Stop making fun of him!" She frowned, "yes, he did find this young lady, she's an art therapist. Very polite, very warm and she's made me so comfortable."

"I'm so happy you're doing something for yourself, you deserve the world Baba." I hugged her. I was happy, really happy that I wasn't the only one who realised she was struggling. I was impressed by Kenji that he realised she needed someone to talk to about grief apart from family, in fact she refused to talk to us about it. It was healthy now that she had someone and some way to express all those emotions.

"So, here for Charles this weekend?" She asked.

"Yes! Good or bad I want to be here for him." I smiled.

"Both of you have been together for not so long but the way you talk about him and he talks about you sounds like you've been together for years."

"Well, I've loved him for years."

In a while Kenji was back and I was on his case for not telling me about him and Laura, Baba had known for long, in fact she had even been to Laura's house for a dinner so Kenji could formally introduce them.

"I like her, she's very intelligent and level headed. She balances him." Baba said.

"Yeah because he's slow and unhinged." I snickered.

"Ouch Emiko. Ouch." He placed a hand on his heart. "Hey! But at least we have normal nicknames for each other in comparison to my Rat."

"It's cute. It has its own charm."

"Yeah calling someone a rat is just so romantic, like it's the epitome of modern romance." He laughed.

"Bully me all you want but it's unique and never done before."

"Whatever you say."

"So who's watching the race where?" I asked.

"From the grand hotel, my friends get a table every year." Baba beamed proudly. It was honestly a very cute sight, a group of old ladies in their finest clothes eating lunch with not a clue about what was happening but cheered every time they heard Charles's name. And when they'd realise it was for something bad, they'd all look so disappointed.

"I'm going to Laura's she gets a nice view from her balcony, we're lounging there with baby Siya." He said. "Was this a question so you could brag about having best seats?"

"Yes." I smiled.