Chapter-23

It was finally time, the air hostess announced we were starting our descent. In a few minutes I would be in Nice- just a couple of minutes away from where all my happiness waited.

I got off the plane and made my way to baggage claim, my phone was taking its dear time to switch on. I needed to let Ken know I was here, he was too lazy to come get me but what other choice did I have?

I walked out of the "arrivals" gate and saw a familiar face in the crowd. Our eyes met and now we were both smiling, I was rapidly walking towards him. I couldn't be more glad that he was here, I might have casually mentioned coming to Monaco just once over our texts but he remembered.

"Welcome back." He beamed holding his hand out for me.

"Who's the obsessed one now?" I laughed, "how did you know?"

"You wouldn't shut up about it, so I asked Baba when you're coming." He answered smugly.

I took his hand, he led me out of these terminals to what looked like another area for aircrafts. I looked at him in confusion, hoping he'd explain.

"We'll take the helicopter back to Monaco, you don't need to find a taxi or wait for some bus." He answered getting his phone out, "let me call my brother, I thought-"

"CHARLES!" I heard someone yell, I swear to God he had the same voice as Charles. And when I looked at him I was even more confused, because he basically looked like him without his stubble.

"Hi." The boy awkwardly waved at me, I smiled at him awkwardly. I tugged on Charles's jacket, finally getting his attention. He looked at me, why are you behaving like a child? He chuckled.

"Arthur!" He finally noticed his lookalike.

"Arthur!?" I blurted, "this is him?" I turned back to Charles and then his carbon copy brother.

"Do you know him?"

"Well not exactly, I doubt he even remembers."

"No no maybe I do!" Arthur spoke up, "you look very familiar."

"Were you part of the student tutoring program?"

"Yes, I needed the tutoring." He laughed, he took a minute before realisation struck him, "it's you! You helped me with history!"

"Someone please keep me in loop. What's going on?"

It's a small world I laughed, when we just started high school as part of extra credit our history teacher wanted us to work with little kiddos. He paired us up with students from the sixth grade class he taught social studies in. One hour, any day of the week we'd have to help the little ones out with their questions, read with them, look through the library for books and help them with their assignments.

I never once thought that the little boy I was helping out was his brother, I was glad to hear that the help had been useful to him. It probably got irritating to Charles, because we spent the ride back home just talking about bits and pieces of recollection we had from social studies sessions together.

"Get your rest, sleep off that jet lag and then we're going to have a lot of fun." He said.

"I'm going to need a minimum of two days, you'll see me soon. Try not to miss me." I giggled.

"Oh I'll try my best." He sighed, "how will I stay apart for so long!?" He sighed even more melodramatically.

"Go home!" I playfully shoved him, "I don't think Arthur enjoys waiting on the streets for you."

I had my answer very soon, Arthur honked for a good second before Charles yelled that he was coming in a minute. With that, he was gone, I waited until he was out of sight to enter the apartment building.

It was so good to be back here, the old stairs, beams and doors, it all felt so welcoming. People had wreathes up on their door, the holiday cheer was here! I rang the doorbell and almost instantly, it flew open and I was pulled in for a big hug.

"I've missed you so much Emi!" Baba cheered, giving my a tight squeeze.

"I have too! I'm so glad to finally be back."

Kenji entered the living room from his room, looking very disinterested in whatever was going on. Baba ordered him to get my bags settled into my room, he groaned but did what he was told.

"Which one of these bags have my things?" He asked.

"Kenji don't make me come in there to smack you in the head!" Baba yelled. "You go change, I'll make you something nice and warm to eat." She smiled at me.

I kicked Kenji out of the room, freshened up and changed into PJs. I didn't have any plans for the next few days, so the most rational thing to do was embrace lounging around.

I heard knocks on the door, I asked who it was. Of course it was Kenji. This time mumbling about something I couldn't quite understand.

"What do you want?" I opened the door.

"How did you get here so fast?"

"Using my feet?"

"No genius." He rolled his eyes, "it takes at least 45 minutes by bus-"

"I'm tired and hungry please don't bother me about this shit right now."

"That honking jerk was the one wasn't it?"

"Huh?"

"Some fool was out here in a fancy car, honking at this time. Woke me up from my nap."

"Should you really be napping at this hour?"

"It was my post lunch nap."

"That ends at 6pm?"

"Baba she's being a smart ass again!" He yelled.

"Scream one more time and I'll throw you out of the house." She yelled back from the kitchen.

I laughed, clearly living under the same roof for so long was not as rainbows and sunshine like they had hoped. Kenji was messy, loud and very lazy. He made a mess and that annoyed Baba a lot, she liked keeping the house spick and span. Not one thing out of its place.

"I'm going to find my own place he whispered."

"In Monaco? In this economy? Are you crazy?"

"If you, a loner can find friends in this city why can't I find a place to stay?"