Chapter-56

It was a pleasant morning, I waited at the airport with a car for everyone to pile into. The first person to walk out of the terminal was Baba, wearing the biggest smile on her face and eyes scanning the city ahead of her with nostalgia.

I waved at her frantically, her smile grew even wider as she hurriedly walked towards me. I gave her a bear hug and grabbed the luggage out of her hands, I told her how much I missed her and how glad I was to finally see her.

"The city changed so much since I last visited!" Baba said.

"And I can't wait to show you everything that has changed." I beamed.

I noticed Laura and Kenji walk out of the gates, Laura looked tired but Siya on the other hand looked very full of energy and ready to take on the world one little hop at a time. Kenji was pushing everyone's luggage on a cart, I rushed up to him to help him out. We got everyone's suitcases in the car and started our drive.

"Welcome to Osaka! How was your flight?" I asked them.

"Great! But tiring. For me atleast. Siya slept through a lot of it but when she was awake she was constantly wanting to move around." Laura sighed.

"Is that so? Did you have fun on the aircraft Siya?" I asked.

"Mhm." The little girl nodded.

"What about you Ken, did it get too tiring?"

"I finished a lot of shows that I had started watching so I'd say it was a very good flight." He yawned.

I let them know today was a very relaxed day, we were going to our parents' house so everyone could freshen up and rest. We weren't going to go anywhere or do anything fancy, just a laid back day for everyone to catch up with each other. Laura admitted she felt very nervous about meeting the family, I understood her inhibitions, I felt that way while meeting Charles's family for the first time. I bet he felt them while meeting my family too, but he was so good at hiding any sort of nervousness. He just did ooze confidence and charisma.

"They're probably more nervous than you are, they've literally made me redecorate the guest rooms hoping it'll impress you." I laughed.

"Good to know both sides are seeking so much approval from each other." Baba chimed in.

We reached the house and unloaded everything, hearing the chatter, mom and dad were already out of the gates. There was a look of admiration on my mom's face the minute she saw Laura. Siya clutched onto her trousers and peaked at everyone from behind her.

"Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Nohara." Laura greeted them.

"Morning! Enough of the formalities Laura, just call us by our names Dear." My mom smiled giving her a hug.

"And who might this young lady be?" My dad crouched down to Siya, offering her a bar of candy.

"Si-ya." She smiled.

"You speak so well! How old are you?" He asked, giving her the bar.

"She's a year and five months old." Laura said carrying her in her arms, "but she's a very talkative one!"

"The effects of keeping het around Baba for so many hours a day." Kenji laughed.

"I take that as a compliment! She's a very smart and observant child, now being talkative will also make her a very ambitious girl!" Baba huffed.

"Mamma she's only a toddler please spare her." My mom joined in on the fun. "But more seriously, how are you doing? It's been a while." She hugged her, I could see the tears welling up in my mother's eyes. I couldn't even imagine what years of not being able to see her in person would feel like.

We let them all go freshen up while Sofu and I got started on cutting up some fruits for everyone to snack on, dad once again brought out all the garden furniture so we could sit in the nice weather and talk. Mom hovered over all of them asking if they needed something, if they were comfortable.

"She's so beautiful!" Mom remarked, "and Siya? Such an adorable child." She smiled.

"Kenji and Laura do make a lovely pair." Sofu added, "I still need to ask Laura what in Kenji did she exactly see."

"Don't say that about your own grandson!" I defended him.

Kenji was the first to come join us, I noticed him fidgeting with his bracelets. I knew exactly what was happening next, I told him to come sit down next to me. So that he could squeeze my arm if he needed me to intervene, if the worst case scenario arises.

"Mom, dad and Sofu. I have something to ask." He announced.

All of them looked at him, urging him to continue. He took a deep breathe and started, "I know you just met Laura and Siya. I want your blessings, and approval. You don't have to give it to me right now, I want you to spend time with them over the time we spend in Osaka but I'd like you to keep something in mind."

"What is it?" Dad asked.

"Honey don't be so dense!" My mother remarked, "you obviously know what he wants blessings for?"

My dad still looked confused, Sofu had a kind smile on his face and my mother looked like she was going to explode of joy right now. I wondered what her face would be like when Kenji finally stopped beating around the bush and got to the point.

"I want to marry Laura. And I would like your approval for it." He finally managed to say. "I know I've only known her for a year but I feel like I've known her forever. She is the person I'm supposed to be with."

"Does she want to marry you though?" Sofu asked.

That made me snort. I apologised and asked Kenji to continue, he explained that he planned proposing to her at around the end of the trip, so that it wouldn't be too awkward if she rejected him. He really hoped that she too saw her future with him.

I noticed Laura looking for us and pinched Kenji to get his attention, he yelped but then instantly shut up the minute he looked at the screen door leading into the house. She joined us too, taking a seat beside my mother who was basically fawning over her at this point.

Baba came too and then we all sat around the table filled with snacks, eating and talking. Laura was so good at this, she was talking to everyone and not once did the interactions feel forced or awkward, she got along with everyone and made them laugh with her witty humour.

I think I was going to remember this day forever, I was going to remember the big smiles and laughter that filled the air on a beautiful midday in November. I'll fondly look back at the jokes and banter that were said by Laura soon before she joined our family. She was like sunshine and I really hoped she chose Kenji.