Chapter-57

Having the family around, all under one roof was very fun. The first few days, Kenji took Laura around the city, showing her all the places he liked to spend his time and some he would just go to enjoy the scenery. She teased him about how many girls he'd brought around to these places.

Baba and my mother went around visiting relatives, sometimes Sofu and dad would join them too. I spent most of my time with Siya. At first I was really reluctant about it, what if she cried all the time and absolutely disliked me? It turned out to be the opposite. She didn't like going to all the busy places Kenji and Laura were off to.

She enjoyed staying home or just going to the park, I started looking for places that might seem entertaining to a child. I took her to gardens, pet farms, zoos and aquariums. She did like them what she enjoyed the most was the metro rides, her little eyes twinkled every time we got onto a metro and she looked out of the window.

We were on our way back home after spending all evening at a park, she pointed towards things and waited for me to tell her what they were. "That's a tower! Can you say tower?"

"No." She shook her head, looking out of the window again. Siya was already looking for the next thing she could ask me to say. A small smiled curled on my face, just thinking about a year ago.

I remember being so nervous about meeting Siya for the first time, I didn't want to interact with the baby at all. And now it seemed like she was the best company I'd had. Sure, she got tired very fast but she was so full of joy and curiosity.

It made me think about life experiences in general, going from being a child hater to maybe this one is not too bad- I had come a long way. There was so much I had to still learn and find out, but I was glad about what I'd learnt so far.

We got home and were greeted by Baba, Sofu was getting the grill ready. He planned on treating us all to a fancy dinner. Siya told Baba about her whole day in broken sentences, she still managed to convey what she wanted to say, which impressed everyone a lot.

" Oto?" She said.

"Oto?" Sofu looked at her in confusion.

"She calls our Kenji Oton." Baba smiled big. "She's looking for him." She scooped her up in her arms to give her a hug, "he's gone out with your mum, they'll be back very soon!"

Now that, melted my heart. We called our dad Oton, it was how pretty much every kid here refers to their dad fondly. Everyone was smiling, thinking about how much of a positive influence Kenji was on her, she wanted to tell him everything about her day. Kenji too clearly adored her a lot, every outing he went on without her, he came back home with a little something for her, sometimes a souvenir or maybe a snack she might enjoy.

Everybody freshened up and gathered around the grill, we enjoyed our meal, laughed loudly and chatted late into the evening. Kenji pulled me away.

"What?" I asked.

"I think today's the day." He smiled looking in Laura's direction.

"What's the strategy?"

"Say you need to go on a walk because of all the food you ate, hide behind the bushes right by those ginormous trees that have red leaves now," he continued, "and then I'll ask Laura to join me on a walk, when we get there I'll pause for a bit you better be ready with a camera. Record EVERYTHING!"

"Yes sir! For now we gotta get back and look normal. Like we definitely didn't conspire."

"Done."

I actually overate and needed a walk, I thanked Sofu for the meal and decided to get to my spot. I grabbed my phone and a film camera, so that I could later make them an album if she said yes or just develop those images and haunt Kenji with rejection for the rest of his life.

The breeze was nice, I walked down the street for just a little longer, the trees looked so beautiful. I felt my pocket buzz, Kenji was asking me to take my place. So I did, awkwardly crouching behind a bench. A moment later I heard his familiar laugh, they were just a corner away, I texted Ken I was right behind the bench. He checked his phone discreetly and led Laura to a spot I could photograph them nicely from. To add to it, they were in earshot of me too.

"Laura, I've got something to tell you." He held her hands, looking into her eyes.

"What did you do now?" She laughed.

"No. What are you doing to me?"

"Ken... what are you saying?" She frowned.

"If a year ago you told me that I would find the person I want to spend the rest of my life. I would have laughed in your face. But here I am." He said getting down on one knee.

"Laura de Silva, meeting you has been the best thing that's ever happened to me. Waking up next to you, making your morning coffee for you while you get our clothes ready for the day has been a privilege, watching you raise Siya into a wonderful human being has been wonderful. I want to be part of all of this for the rest of my life..." He finally pulled out the ring box, "will you make me the luckiest man alive by letting me be your husband?"

Laura looked surprised, tears were welling up in her eyes. I really couldn't gauge what she was feeling. She started frantically nodding her head, she was still too shocked to properly say yes. She crouched down and hugged Kenji. I couldn't contain my excitement I leaped out from behind the bench and continued taking pictures of the pair.

"I can't believe it. This is really happening!" Kenji beamed.

"Congratulations!" I beamed at them.

"What- where did you come from?" Laura exclaimed.

"I've been hiding behind that bench." I laughed.

"You knew!?"

"He got me involved a month ago, so yes."

"I've been planning this for three months now, but this evening just did feel like the right moment."

"I wouldn't have it any other way. But..." she sighed.

"But what?"

"I had also planned out an elaborate proposal, on your birthday once we got back. None of that money I paid to the event planner is refundable." She shook her head.

"It's okay! I'll act surprised!" He hugged her.

"You better enjoy that yacht ride and dinner it wasn't cheap. You beat me to it!" She kissed him.

We got back home, Laura was still in awe of the ring on her finger. She joked to me about how she didn't know how to behave anymore. Kenji broke the news to everyone, this called for more celebrations, and before either of them could react, mom was already planning an engagement ceremony.

"I guess it's time to start planning your spring wedding." I teased Kenji.

"I have a Pinterest board ready, I'll invite you and Laura as collaborators." He grinned.

"What is that? Even I want to be a contributor!" Mom joined in.